Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just going to point out the Brownlow predictor has Neale in the top couple. Finishes strongly and he could win again

dlanod what did Freo do with our picks we gave them for Neale? From memory it was something like Hogan and Lobb? Or not just Hogan?

Didn't they just put them in their cap with all those feathers?

What weights more. 1kg of feathers attached to a fedora or 1kg of feathers spent on failed trades.

Well all the conspiracists who thought the AFL wouldn't allow a suspended player to win the Brownlow can suck on this. Maybe he's polling poorly.

I honestly thought there was enough there to bring up that could bring it back to a fine if they wanted to do so. Not that that would've been the right call.

Wasn’t sure where to post this - Was wondering, do others wish that they would announce at the ground details about when a sub is activated? It’s sometimes unfortunately obvious like last weekend when Starcr had to be subbed out but when it is more tactical the conversation among members in my section of the Gabba is always around:
  • has a sub been made?
  • reminding everyone who the sub is
  • process of elimination on the field to see who is not there (need to check the bench rotations in case someone is there)
  • see if anyone can get their data to work at the ground so that we can check the AFL app to see who has been subbed off and why
  • finally work out who has been subbed for who and why. Pass it around the section

Why don’t they just announce it at the ground?

Reading the Carlton MRP thread re Heeney is hilarious, I read it's a "rort" if he gets off. Weren't saying that when Cripps got off after KO'ing Ah Chee and then going to win the Brownlow, even though they're both rorts...

Heeney probably gets off for the same reason Cripps gets off; the AFL wouldn't want the whole Brownlow spectacle to be about that.
Hard to argue with this tweet

Wasn’t sure where to post this - Was wondering, do others wish that they would announce at the ground details about when a sub is activated? It’s sometimes unfortunately obvious like last weekend when Starcr had to be subbed out but when it is more tactical the conversation among members in my section of the Gabba is always around:
  • has a sub been made?
  • process of elimination on the field to see who is not there (need to check the bench rotations in case someone is there)
  • see if anyone can get their data to work at the ground so that we can check the AFL app to see who has been subbed off and why
  • finally work out who has been subbed for who and why. Pass it around the section

Like this. Think it has a lot of merit. Altho I think it's unlikely that sub remains in place next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• has a sub been made?

Agree. Its not that hard.

1720526701565.png

dlanod what did Freo do with our picks we gave them for Neale? From memory it was something like Hogan and Lobb? Or not just Hogan?
Pick 6 went to Melbourne for Hogan, 19 went to GWS for Lobb (11 + 19 for Lobb, 14 and change).

We got pick 30 as well which ended up being Tom Berry.

Since when did the Tribunal start getting tough ?

The message should go out to our guys don't get yourself reported.
Imagine if it was Daicos.
My answer is they'll send a message to the general AFL community by setting an example like upholding Heeney only because he is not one of theirs , not a VFL club favourite or one of the VFL Boy's Club son's.
On the other hand , no way this happens to Daicos or Cripps , Pendles.
Daicos would never stage for frees or do these horrible things , what am I even thinking.
Steven May got Keel Hauled for his staging crimes , you see the same thing all the time.
Only difference was Steven May is not a great actor .
So yep , we could well be soft targets to push their narative of doing the right thing.

Imagine if it was Daicos.
My answer is they'll send a message to the general AFL community by setting an example like upholding Heeney only because he is not one of theirs , not a VFL club favourite or one of the VFL Boy's Club son's.
On the other hand , no way this happens to Daicos or Cripps , Pendles.
Daicos would never stage for frees or do these horrible things , what am I even thinking.
Steven May got Keel Hauled for his staging crimes , you see the same thing all the time.
Only difference was Steven May is not a great actor .
So yep , we could well be soft targets to push their narative of doing the right thing.
If Pendlebury had been suspended, when he punched Lachie at the start of the year, we wouldn't see all the shit punches thrown since.

If Pendlebury had been suspended, when he punched Lachie at the start of the year, we wouldn't see all the shit punches thrown since.
Given Butters and friends' attitude I'm coming around to the idea that any swinging arm off the ball or closed fist should be one week minimum and going up from there. Doesn't matter about impact. There's literally zero football reason to punch anything other than the ball nor swing an arm into an opponent (as opposed to a shove which actually is a football action), so why do we accept it as part of the game.

Wouldn’t be far off being worse than ever particularly a few weeks ago. Anyway, most people I know that follow the game closely accept that the AFL are the biggest manipulators and liars of an organisation that exists in this country. Anyway, I appreciate many take their word as gospel and there’s a few willing to call them out so I’ll leave it there because evidently many here disagree with me and happy to laud the AFL and their carefully choreographed journo spokespeople.
You seem to regard any sympathy or ambivalence to the AFL as blind worship. Maybe you should consider that there are intelligent people who give the matter more thought you might appreciate.

They might also not overly care. It's sad state of affairs but there's a level to apathy and acceptance to spin and PR, but just because people don't react, it doesn't mean they don't see it or have disdain for it. Some people just think it's not worth getting in a tizz about or that there's little they can do to alter it.

I don't consume much footy media mianly because it so repititous and filled with ex-players, many of are mouthpeices for producers looking for clickbaity hot takes. Perhaps you might consider cutting back yourself if it causes you so much distress.

But just keep in mind that viewing yourself as enlightened and everyone as sheep is not a healthy road to go down.

Given Butters and friends' attitude I'm coming around to the idea that any swinging arm off the ball or closed fist should be one week minimum and going up from there. Doesn't matter about impact. There's literally zero football reason to punch anything other than the ball nor swing an arm into an opponent (as opposed to a shove which actually is a football action), so why do we accept it as part of the game.
Yep, I don't like it either, although it's a by-product of all the scragging that goes on by defenders that goes unpenalised.

What about taggers who just face the player they are tagging at a stoppage and move all over the place stopping his path to the ball/contest, has no interest whatsoever in getting the ball himself. Lachie Neale cops it every week and yes I know we do it as well.

I just don't see it as fair play, if a defender did that in the F50 re an incoming marking contest it would be a free against every time.

Would like the umps pay more of the frees they can for off the ball stuff. Jumper holding, etc.

Stop the niggle escalating
The tactics used against gun players and the midfield champs are often illegal. You can't block or impede someone's progress more than 5m off the ball to start. That's illegal shepherding. Holding someone without the ball ,tug at their jumper or even locking arms with them if you initiate it is a free kick full stop . Mostly never gets paid.

Because the umps have traditionally overlooked these free kicks the game gets scrappy and ugly and there's a sentiment out there from the commentators that both players are involved but's it's one player who initiated it most of the time.

It's carte blanche allowable to scrag Charlie but if you hold or pull at someone's jumper or arm that's a free. They let it go all day then pull one out to a guy who was never going to mark or get the ball as if all the other ones never happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back