Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It's likely Petracca and his family were devastated they let him play on when he was half delirious in the Collingwood game once he had time to assess what actually happened. Trust is broken. On top of some dissatisfaction on other issues.

But hard to see how he could get to anywhere else in 2025. They'll pull out all stops to patch things up . As they should.

I remember certain posters saying we needed to learn a thing or 2 about developing kids from what Richmond has done recently

Agree, Richmond don't seem to have produced any outstanding players recently, just a lot of good average players.

Players are leaving Richmond quicker than rats on a sinking ship. They are in for a world of pain in the next few years akin to North and WCE.
At least they have three flags though.

I guess for them though, better go through this pain now than in 2-3 years time like we endured twice when Suns / Giants came in. I suspect Melbourne may be one club that will experience hurt when Tassie comes in unless they get crafty.

Saw this earlier too:

There was a report somehwere else that Houston will link back up with Voss and join the Blues now.

At least they have three flags though.

I guess for them though, better go through this pain now than in 2-3 years time like we endured twice when Suns / Giants came in. I suspect Melbourne may be one club that will experience hurt when Tassie comes in unless they get crafty.

Saw this earlier too:

There was a report somehwere else that Houston will link back up with Voss and join the Blues now.

I would happily take 3 flags in a 4-5 year period and then struggle for a while.

Petracca will walk away from Melbourne if there was any way anybody could make it happen. But he's contracted through '27 and the logistics for anyone else would seem too high a mountain to climb.

Plus Melbourne know it's imperative they keep him otherwise a lot of things fall apart. They'll be working hard on the PR side and on Trac to get something out as soon as they practically can.

Petracca will walk away from Melbourne if there was any way anybody could make it happen. But he's contracted through '27 and the logistics for anyone else would seem too high a mountain to climb.

Plus Melbourne know it's imperative they keep him otherwise a lot of things fall apart. They'll be working hard on the PR side and on Trac to get something out as soon as they practically can.
The Dockers have 3 first round selections, could they get it done?

They are in a flag contention window, Petracca could be the last piece of the puzzle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would happily take 3 flags in a 4-5 year period and then struggle for a while.
...and we have done so in the past...for a much longer struggle period!

I don't think they're in too bad a position, and if done right, could bounce like Hawthorn. In their favour is they do have some quality players wanting to leave to go to Freo and Gold Coast, who both have a history of paying up and have a good draft hand already (well I expect GC do). The players who want to leave are contracted, so they still hold the power in negotiations. They have to the chance to hit the draft hard.
Next year may not be pretty, but play the young guns they pull out of the draft all season next year, 2026 will be bright.

I'd much rather yo-yo from top to bottom, than be perennially stuck in the middle of the ladder... and I hope our next down phase doesn't coincide with the draft-debacle that will occur with the introduction of Tasmania. We've been there before and it wasn't pretty.

Players are leaving Richmond quicker than rats on a sinking ship. They are in for a world of pain in the next few years akin to North and WCE.

We probably all thought that with Hawthorn too, look at them now. If this draft class is as good and even as the experts say, Richmond should go all in on it, it would likely speed up their rebuild.

If they bring in some old heads who can teach the kids work ethic even if it doesn't translate to on field success in the short term, they could bounce back within 2-3 years.

He's contracted until end of 29 Martinson, so still 5 years to go.

I guess these are the pitfulls of players (and clubs) wanting longer deals beacuse he's pretty hamstrung by that contract and thats what you get when players want it both ways.

The Dockers have 3 first round selections, could they get it done?

They are in a flag contention window, Petracca could be the last piece of the puzzle.
They were saying on one of the footy shows that Freo will have to stump those 3 first round picks for Bolton and Baker alone and even then they said Tigers could ask for more. That seems a lot to me though

We probably all thought that with Hawthorn too, look at them now. If this draft class is as good and even as the experts say, Richmond should go all in on it, it would likely speed up their rebuild.

If they bring in some old heads who can teach the kids work ethic even if it doesn't translate to on field success in the short term, they could bounce back within 2-3 years.
Agree, they have to try to re-build as quick as possible. More first round picks de-risk a potential relative bust (Tambling over Buddy, Longer over Green etc).

Agree, they have to try to re-build as quick as possible. More first round picks de-risk a potential relative bust (Tambling over Buddy, Longer over Green etc).
Richmond see Tassie coming, see what is happening at West Coast, and realise trying to rebuild with one first round pick per year, would be a long and painful process.

Richmond are happily patting these players on the shoulder as they walk out the door.

They're going to end up with picks 1, 5, 9, 10 & 17. Plus a second round compensation pick for Graham going to West Coast, so picks 21 & 22 in the second round.

And they'll have the late second/early third round picks to trade to us for our current pick 14.

They'll have the picks and list spots to be able to draft two mids at their first couple of picks, go for two key forwards, get a quality half back and small forward, then a couple of good defenders all in the top 25.

They could get:
Jagga Smith - elite accumulator
Harvey Langford - big bodied mid
Luke Trainor - tall defender
Tobie Travaglia - class halfback
Joe Berry - classy small forward
Jack Whitlock - 200cm athletic KPF
Alex Tauru - intercept tall defender
Jobe Shanahan - contested marking KPF

That's half their rebuild in one draft.

Well I didn't think I'd get to update these this week, but Mr Squiggle finally fixed up the scores from last Friday's game...
View attachment 2080877

They've finally come to the party...
View attachment 2080880

So the seeds are back 😁

#1 (up 1) - Sydney 128% (#1 in attack, #6 in defence - down 3). Hardly convincing of course, but nobody else really wanted top spot it seems!

#2 (down 1) - Western Bulldogs 127% (#3 in attack, #3 in defence - down 2). Opened up by the relatively defensive Crows, so their rating takes a hit.

#3 - Brisbane 126% (#2 in attack, #8 in defence - down 1).

#4 (up 1) - Greater Western Sydney 114% (#6 in attack, #7 in defence - up 1).

Fremantle drop out of the seeds and down to #7 on the back of consecutive losses. 112% (#10 in attack - down 2, #4 in defence).

Carlton (somehow!) remain #4 in attack. 105%, #9 (down 2) overall and still #14 in defence.

St Kilda are promoted to the #1 defensive team. 93%, still #14 overall and #17 in attack.

Hawthorn meanwhile jump into these seeds for the first time all year. They are #2 for defence, and at 113% they are now rapidly closing in on a spot in the overall seeds. For now they are #5 overall and #9 in attack.

The model has us beating Collingwood (#11 overall, 102%, #7 in attack and #13 defensively) by 19 points.
No changes to the seeds in the end, altho for a short while there on Sunday it looked like Hawthorn would be barnstorming their way in!

#1 - Sydney 129% (#1 in attack, #3 in defence - up 3)

#2 - Western Bulldogs 128% (#3 in attack, #1 in defence - up 2)

#3 - Brisbane 125% (#2 in attack, #7 in defence - up 1)

#4 - Greater Western Sydney 116% (#6 in attack, #8 in defence - down 1)

Carlton finally drop out of the seeds in attack. Maybe a bit unlucky, but the model does not take injuries into account. They drop to #5 here. 106%, #9 overall and still #13 (up 1) in defence. They're replaced by Geelong at #4 - 109%, #7 overall and #12 defensively.

On the defence side, St Kilda drop back to #2. 95%, #13 (up 1) overall and #15 (up 2! :eek:) in attack.

Hawthorn drop out of the defensive seeds, after eventually letting a pretty ordinary Richmond team put 68 past them. Back to #5 (down 3) for defence, 111%, #6 (down 1) overall and #10 (down 1) in attack. They're replaced by Melbourne who sneak into #4. 105%, #10 overall, #13 in attack.

The model has us beating Essendon (#15 overall, 91%, #11 in attack and #15 defensively) by 30 points.

Two or three in that list may be busts as well.
That’s standard for every teams draft over a period.

But it’s better loading up this draft when it’s not heavily compromised.

There’s already a fair bit of talk about how compromised next year’s draft will be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back