Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm so confused which of the appeal options they're going to run with here.
"He was asking for it - did you see what he was wearing? All those colours on that Crows guernsey! Dan couldn't control himself."

What are the chances these Tiger trades netting them extra first round picks will eventuate?

Comes down to how desperate Hardwick is as far as Rioli is concerned.

Same with Freo - are they willing to throw first rounders in and try for a hailmary premiership in 2025.

This is worth a look

I must admit I don't think it is anything particularly revolutionary: it's essentially an extension of the conversation we've had earlier this season about lengthening the field. Here the Hawks are trying to both lengthen and broaden the field. The key advantage they have over most teams is speed, allowing them to get to the outside quicker than their opponents.

I really like it; the Hawks have had the 2nd least amount of turnovers in recent weeks, so clearly their ball movement method works, as teams are struggling to intercept.

My one caveat would be that Joey has of course picked out a few examples from across 2 games, which makes you wonder how often it was used and how often they had to resort to other strategies. It would be interesting to see how they go from a slow play, where maybe they are held up on the half back flank or back pocket. Maybe there is a blood rule and everyone has to stop.

Assuming they make finals it will be interesting to see how often they are forced to go long down the line in September. If the answer is "not at all" we may be seeing the evolution of full length-of-field ball movement far quicker than I expected, even though I flagged it late last year. My rationale is most grounds should be far too wide for any defensive setup to prevent moving the ball from defensive 50 to forward 50 - maybe Hawthorn are proving it already.

If it works, other teams will try and copy this, and it will be interesting to see how successful it is for teams with slower players. To my mind, the ball can still move faster than any player so the speed of individual players should not be an impediment, provided they are disciplined with their positioning and unrewarded running, to create space for others as the Hawthorn players do in these clips.

What are the chances these Tiger trades netting them extra first round picks will eventuate?
If the players leave, they'll pretty much go for what's being reported in the media.

Bolton & Baker to Freo for their three first round picks.

Rioli to the Suns, what for is up for discussion. Either their natural first round pick, or their later two first round picks, one tied to the Bulldogs and the other an end of first round PP from North's assistance package.

Graham to West Coast, and only needs to trigger band 3 compensation for the Tigers to get a second round pick right behind their natural second round pick, giving them the first two picks of the second round.

And they currently have pick 30 (Freo's second round pick), 39 (their natural third round pick), 41 (West Coasts third round pick) and 48 (Freo's third round pick). Plus three more fourth round picks.

So they have enough late picks to package together to get our first round pick. And maybe carlton's second round pick, if Carlton feel that there might be an early bid on one of the Camporale twins.

This is worth a look

I must admit I don't think it is anything particularly revolutionary: it's essentially an extension of the conversation we've had earlier this season about lengthening the field. Here the Hawks are trying to both lengthen and broaden the field. The key advantage they have over most teams is speed, allowing them to get to the outside quicker than their opponents.

I really like it; the Hawks have had the 2nd least amount of turnovers in recent weeks, so clearly their ball movement method works, as teams are struggling to intercept.

My one caveat would be that Joey has of course picked out a few examples from across 2 games, which makes you wonder how often it was used and how often they had to resort to other strategies. It would be interesting to see how they go from a slow play, where maybe they are held up on the half back flank or back pocket. Maybe there is a blood rule and everyone has to stop.

Assuming they make finals it will be interesting to see how often they are forced to go long down the line in September. If the answer is "not at all" we may be seeing the evolution of full length-of-field ball movement far quicker than I expected, even though I flagged it late last year. My rationale is most grounds should be far too wide for any defensive setup to prevent moving the ball from defensive 50 to forward 50 - maybe Hawthorn are proving it already.

If it works, other teams will try and copy this, and it will be interesting to see how successful it is for teams with slower players. To my mind, the ball can still move faster than any player so the speed of individual players should not be an impediment, provided they are disciplined with their positioning and unrewarded running, to create space for others as the Hawthorn players do in these clips.

I see one of those games was against Richmond.

Just putting it out there that they won't get away with it anywhere near as easily in finals when the pressure amps up.

Let's see how they go now that the opposition is on to it in games that really count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This appeals submission from Port is so cooked. Why are they even contesting it?

Few legit quotes from this hearing [courtesy of David Zita]:

"The lid is the top of the paint can, but it's also part of the paint can." This is a literal quote from the Power's legal rep just now.
The Power's legal rep adds that when he opens his jar of vegemite in the morning, the lid counts as the top. He continues to do a better job of explaining the concept of lids than explaining why Dan Houston's ban should be altered.
The Power say Houston should've received the same benefit for his exemplary record as Charlie Cameron did for his less exemplary record earlier in the year.

This appeals submission from Port is so cooked. Why are they even contesting it?

Few legit quotes from this hearing [courtesy of David Zita]:
Am I dim or what ?

Struggling to understand what the lid thing is about ,the relevance ,comparison or impact on anything to do with a bump that knocked someone out.

Completely bowled over by that one.

No, even people who regularly follow the tribunal are incredibly confused as to what exactly Port's argument is tonight.

The lid quote refers to Houston not directly contacting with the top of Rankine's soldier ... I think?
I reckon if you gave the assignment to a Grade 6 class they'd all come up with a more compelling analogy than that.

It's embarrassing someone has the gall to get paid for putting that up as some sort of defence.

Some hope the Appeals Tribunal knocks a week off out of sympathy for Houston for having such a weird counsel.
For some reason it seems quite distinctly Port Adelaide

This is worth a look

Pressure on the next kick might be the key to break this one down. If Hawks are allowed to mark and opposition just tries to corrall them, it'll play right into their hands. Pressure should be through the roof on the immediate next target. Even if they manage to hit it, maintain the same level of pressure on every next kick and the chain will break eventually. Needs a lot of discipline across the board, if one slacks off then they'll keep playing through that free player.

We'll struggle as there is lot of ill-disciplined players around the middle and forward of center for us. They tend to cheat by sneaking forward and those attempts to cheat will be exploited by Hawks style of play. We are not meticulous across the ground yet and so far have been staying afloat with the talent in our list.

Some hope the Appeals Tribunal knocks a week off out of sympathy for Houston for having such a weird counsel.

Exemplary record like Charlie Cameron was also attempted. No joy.

I suspect playing next year may have been extremely difficult given where he'll likely be for a period of time, so hardly surprising why hes pulled the pin and avoided an invetiable circus.

lol; no doubt some sensitive folks will find this in poor taste but hasn’t taken long for the memes

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back