Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It is shaping up as a crazy trade period.
Not expecting us to be too involved but some teams may have a very different look next year.

What I want to know is how much Hutchy is paying Petracca, Pickett etc to make trade requests that will never go anywhere just to fuel the trade radio 18 TEAM MEGA TRADES.

On his podcast with Damian Barrett yesterday he openly admitted to paying players to announce their trade request/destination on trade radio or at a launch event for it lol.

What I want to know is how much Hutchy is paying Petracca, Pickett etc to make trade requests that will never go anywhere just to fuel the trade radio 18 TEAM MEGA TRADES.

On his podcast with Damian Barrett yesterday he openly admitted to paying players to announce their trade request/destination on trade radio or at a launch event for it lol.
How on earth is anyone going to stump up for Petracca or Kosi ?

You're looking at elite players who are contracted.

Give up elite players of your own is the only chance anyone has of getting Petracca in a trade
Well he really wants to stay in Vic and he certainly wouldn't want to go to the Dogs ,or Tigers, Saints or Hawks. Probably not Essendon as well. Geelong just isn't doable.

Which just leaves Carlton and Collingwood.

I'd say reading between the lines that it's the Blues he wants to go to and they've got lots of good players. Vossy's rolled the dice before. Trac is no Fev though.

Well he really wants to stay in Vic and he certainly wouldn't want to go to the Dogs ,or Tigers, Saints or Hawks. Probably not Essendon as well. Geelong just isn't doable.

Which just leaves Carlton and Collingwood.

I'd say reading between the lines that it's the Blues he wants to go to and they've got lots of good players. Vossy's rolled the dice before. Trac is no Fev though.
He was a Collingwood supporter growing up.
But it is really hard to see them being able to pull anything off.

How on earth is anyone going to stump up for Petracca or Kosi ?

You're looking at elite players who are contracted.

The players & Melbourne only have themselves to blame. You all went crazy for the 7 year deals.

Has now turned into a massive dumpster fire.

If no trades get made the only ones who suffer are the Melbourne fans if the team remains a bubbling cesspool of discontent.

Might be a wake up call for clubs in terms of offering long term deals... How many actually work as expected? Buddy Franklin? How many others?

The players & Melbourne only have themselves to blame. You all went crazy for the 7 year deals.

If no trades get made the only ones who suffer are the Melbourne fans if the team remains a bubbling cesspool of discontent.

Might be a wake up call for clubs in terms of offering long term deals... How many actually work as expected? Buddy Franklin? How many others?
Lynchy. The OG long contract.

It's a fair point. While everything is running smoothly the long contracts are fine, but if a club starts falling down the slope after success, those players who had success don't want to hang around through a rebuild, and if the club recognises where they are, they need to roll them out while the have trade value for the rebuild (ie Richmond).

We've got Bez, Hipwood, McLuggage on long term deals... but I'm backing in our kulcha not to turn toxic (aka Melbourne), and our young group to follow through and keep competitive once Lachie, Daniher, Charlie depart.

Last edited:

Imagine how much worse it would be if Petracca was out of contract this year or next year though. Big deals for star players like that are the cost of doing business, they got a flag in 2021 and then two top 4 finishes afterwards after Petracca signed on. It would be so much worse if they didn't control his future!

Giving long-term deals to bad/average players because you are desperate is bad business for sure.

i dont think signing petracca to a long term deal could ever end up poorly for melbourne unless he decided that he enjoyed the lifestyle of a shard addict immediately after signing.

almost always going to be value in a contract like that. teams further down the ladder who dont really have players worth that type of deal should be far more wary... see north melbourne with the lucrative long term contracts their two plodder captains managed to wrangle.

i dont think signing petracca to a long term deal could ever end up poorly for melbourne unless he decided that he enjoyed the lifestyle of a shard addict immediately after signing.

almost always going to be value in a contract like that. teams further down the ladder who dont really have players worth that type of deal should be far more wary... see north melbourne with the lucrative long term contracts their two plodder captains managed to wrangle.

Even the Oliver deal - signed in 2022, so had him under contract for 2023. If he never gets back in shape and pulls it together, then sure it didn't work, but if you had the chance to go back you'd 100% sign him up again.

You would obviously then handle him super differently subsequently and hope it turned out for the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine how much worse it would be if Petracca was out of contract this year or next year though. Big deals for star players like that are the cost of doing business, they got a flag in 2021 and then two top 4 finishes afterwards after Petracca signed on. It would be so much worse if they didn't control his future!

Giving long-term deals to bad/average players because you are desperate is bad business for sure.

Worse for who? It wouldn't be worse for Petracca, Melbourne would just lose a bit of control of the whip hand in negotiations. As it stands now though, someone has to come up with a kings ransom to get the trade done & it has all come to a head pretty quickly giving no one time to plan.

Worse for who? It wouldn't be worse for Petracca, Melbourne would just lose a bit of control of the whip hand in negotiations. As it stands now though, someone has to come up with a kings ransom to get the trade done & it has all come to a head pretty quickly giving no one time to plan.

Melbourne obviously. I'm sure Petracca would prefer being uncontracted right now.

I know it seems like it can't be done and is awkward - but Melbourne does have the option of keeping him. Which to me is the 99% likely scenario.

They've got work to do to clean up their #kulcha but end of the day, they'll still have petracca in his prime.

The dees are having an involuntary fire sale

Hold Fire Sale GIF

I suspect that as the Free Agent pool completely emptied out this year, the journos are going extra hard at any rumour. They have to justify their careers right now. So will go with anything they can to build drama and push any trades they can

I suspect that as the Free Agent pool completely emptied out this year, the journos are going extra hard at any rumour. They have to justify their careers right now. So will go with anything they can to build drama and push any trades they can

Yep, Demons out of finals race too so there is nothing stopping them from going extra hard.

Absolutely deluded. Listened to the interview live; what a train wreck. Every single one of MFC leaders is a joke and no wonder the club is in the position its in. And the MFC is still trying to portray ex President Glen Bartlett as the clueless one when he's the only one who has a modicum of credibility.

What a nut job and thank god we're done with the crackpots leading our club like Michael Bowers Angus Johnson. They're ego-manic viruses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back