Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

We were never going to take anyone else in that draft... IMO if we had pick 1 we would have taken Schache over Weitering anyway.

Correct.

I remember the celebrations on our board when Schache "slipped" to us at Pick 2.

The consensus was that he was a once in a generation player who was going to do wonderful things for us

Instead, he more or less ended up squibbing it, buggered off and became to us what Richard Tambling became to Richmond.

Correct.

I remember the celebrations on our board when Schache "slipped" to us at Pick 2.

The consensus was that he was a once in a generation player who was going to do wonderful things for us

Instead, he more or less ended up squibbing it, buggered off and became to us what Richard Tambling became to Richmond.
The hype around Schache was never ending .He also really wanted to come to us apparently so we had a victim thing mentality going if one of the bigger clubs was going to get hold of him.

I don't put myself in any genius level of judgement when it comes to assessing younger players in fact it's likely I have not much idea but I was shocked when I saw his highlights. Didn't look anything special to me.

I think we got sucked in somehow on that one.

I feel very sorry for him. I think he came here with the best intentions and tried his best. But he was an 18 year old kid and the club tried to make him their great white hope. If you add the pressure of following in your dead father’s footsteps, it’s little wonder he popped.

I know this wasn’t possible, but imagine we drafted him as an 18 year old in place of Logan Morris. Low draft pick, no pressure, strong football culture and able to learn from elite key forwards. His first game would be as a third tall, not taking the opposition’s best defender. I’m not saying he would have succeeded, but I think he may have had a better chance.

I feel very sorry for him. I think he came here with the best intentions and tried his best. But he was an 18 year old kid and the club tried to make him their great white hope. If you add the pressure of following in your dead father’s footsteps, it’s little wonder he popped.

I know this wasn’t possible, but imagine we drafted him as an 18 year old in place of Logan Morris. Low draft pick, no pressure, strong football culture and able to learn from elite key forwards. His first game would be as a third tall, not taking the opposition’s best defender. I’m not saying he would have succeeded, but I think he may have had a better chance.
Also didn’t help when the media were on his case from day 1 about getting out of there, he was almost the only thing Brisbane had going for it. if we were in the position to have a free swing on a list spot, I’d look at him in a let’s give it one last go for old times sake.

It's not Schache's fault he was hyped up or that we drafted him. We opened the door for him to leave so he's not to blame for walking through it either. He's had a very long career for a someone with such obvious deficiencies but it's a shame those deficiencies weren't as obvious at the time he was drafted.

It was not that long after the GH5 took off so perhaps our recruiters were blinded to some extent by the prospect of getting a young talent who wanted to come to Brisbane - a rare quality at the time.

Also didn’t help when the media were on his case from day 1 about getting out of there, he was almost the only thing Brisbane had going for it. if we were in the position to have a free swing on a list spot, I’d look at him in a let’s give it one last go for old times sake.

Probably wouldn’t be the best for his mental health, I think. 😕

It's not Schache's fault he was hyped up or that we drafted him. We opened the door for him to leave so he's not to blame for walking through it either. He's had a very long career for a someone with such obvious deficiencies but it's a shame those deficiencies weren't as obvious at the time he was drafted.

It was not that long after the GH5 took off so perhaps our recruiters were blinded to some extent by the prospect of getting a young talent who wanted to come to Brisbane - a rare quality at the time.
Absolutely. We were also desperate for a replacement for Jono Brown (and Mitch Clark who departed a few years earlier). I remember the link to his father playing at Brisbane being big thing - but you can also imagine this meant nothing to Josh, he just wanted to get drafted and make a good impression where-ever he went.

This article has a few snippets of why we drafted him... and perhaps what we should have looked at more closely!

The good: "Schache is the best shot for goal in this year's draft, but not simply because he has the genes for it."

The worrying: "I think I was maybe lacking a bit of belief in that contested area of the game," Schache said. "After that I thought, 'I can do it.' I got a bit more confidence and started to do it a bit more."

...i don't think that contested area of the game developed unfortunately, but good on him - he got a 9-year and 76 game AFL career out of his abilities. Ending up at Melbourne (who's management of tall recruits is questionable at best) probably not ideal.

To be honest, I don’t think it was over hyped by the club that he was our Savior or anything.
A bit of the Father Son thing but not Harley Reid type level hysteria.

The worst thing that I think the Club did in the lead up to the first round of AFL was that every interview inevitably got to the point where all that was talked about was how good his goal kicking was and how he just never misses.
Then when games rolled around he struggled to kick straight and then that got in his head and he never really recovered that mental side of the game imo.

Re Schache I recall him showing some signs in his first year. All fell away for him after that for all the reasons mentioned and he never got back on track. Pick #2, played in 2 wins, an extended deal only to request a trade a couple of months later - didn’t work out for us at all.
However, you could argue that his selection was the last element of our really dark days. Looking back to the 2016 off season the greenshoots of optimism were there. New coach, some future 200 game players, the rest is history.

I still wouldn't be against throwing him on the rookie list. I know he will never get there now, it is probably too late but I really do wonder how he would go as fourth tall or basically back up if one of our first team three went down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wildcard really is about a couple of things.
Making more money.
Keeping fans of teams outside the 8 still interested up to the finals.
What can often be dead rubbers leading up to the last 4 games should attract more in attendance numbers.
It will probably be fine until a team wins the GF from outside the 8.
The AFL won't be worried about that until it happens.

I have ABC's Offsiders sports show on in the background.
They mentioned the very first decision made on the ball chip technology in AFLW.
I think this technology was touted to be instant.
The decision took 30 seconds, and a goal awarded.
It is still in the testing phase so hopefully decisions become much quicker than that.

I have ABC's Offsiders sports show on in the background.
They mentioned the very first decision made on the ball chip technology in AFLW.
I think this technology was touted to be instant.
The decision took 30 seconds, and a goal awarded.
It is still in the testing phase so hopefully decisions become much quicker than that.
That was my initial reaction as well.

Also, from what I've seen the analysis was meant to be provided in real time to the viewer on TV. This did not happen either.

Seems like a whole lot of over promising and under delivering so far.

Funny thing heard on radio Friday night. 2 people hosting a show, The host ( carlton supporter ) said to the other person ( who is an Essendon supporter) " what do you think of having a weeks break before the finals". Probably not the ideal person to be asking being an Essendon supporter. :D

If he truly believes in Brand Petracca, then 5 years is too long a contract.

Demons are going to hit a flat spot and visit the bottom half of the ladder in the coming years which means crowds will start to thin out again. It's only a matter of time before Petracca would try to take his brand elsewhere. But $1.7 million sounds pretty steep to cover for any club out there. Crazy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back