Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The long kick down the line is dead. We just saw Hawthorn move it from the twilight zone at right half back, uncontested, all the way inside forward 50 for a boundary throw in, from which they kicked a goal.

And they did it in a final against the best defence in the league.

If you are kicking long down the line you are now playing an ancient game.

The long kick down the line is dead. We just saw Hawthorn move it from the twilight zone at right half back, uncontested, all the way inside forward 50 for a boundary throw in, from which they kicked a goal.

You need fast defensive players to play like this. We don’t have a genuine speedster on our list.

You need fast defensive players to play like this. We don’t have a genuine speedster on our list.
Disagree. The team with the ball always has first mover advantage, and if the team in possession can properly make the most of that advantage by their positioning, and equally importantly, the timing of that positioning, the foot speed of individual players should not matter.

There are more than one way to skin this cat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. The team with the ball always has first mover advantage, and if the team in possession can properly make the most of that advantage by their positioning, and equally importantly, the timing of that positioning, the foot speed of individual players should not matter.

There are more than one way to skin this cat.
That's logical. But your players need to have the discipline and the smarts. And the kicking skills.

Of course the mathemetician in me tells me that if you get it right more than 60% of the time you win the game.

Hawks kicked long down the line when the Dogs had them covered and under pressure. I think it's always going to be part of the game when the pressure is on.

Hawks kicked long down the line when the Dogs had them covered and under pressure. I think it's always going to be part of the game when the pressure is on.
Case in point, Hawthorn's first goal of the third quarter. Another end to end transition on a slow play. Everyone knows what's coming and the best defence in the league is powerless to stop it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back