Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be alone on this but I don’t rate Houston anywhere near a lot of the value that’s been reported.
He’s a nice player and had an exceptional 23 granted, but like Sinclair at Saints; kinda shits me the VIC media get their blinkers on for these guys particularly AA selectors and yet ignore a gun like Starcevich who constantly gets a bad wrap b/c of the 23 GF. Yep I’m bias but give me Starc any day of the week.

Had a read of Carlton’s trade thread and they’re pretty salty about Houston. Some rate him but b/c the vast majority think they’re going to get trumped by Collingwood they are really downplaying him now.

He’s a nice player and had an exceptional 23 granted, but like Sinclair at Saints; kinda shits me the VIC media get their blinkers on for these guys particularly AA selectors and yet ignore a gun like Starcevich who constantly gets a bad wrap b/c of the 23 GF. Yep I’m bias but give me Starc any day of the week.

Had a read of Carlton’s trade thread and they’re pretty salty about Houston. Some rate him but b/c the vast majority think they’re going to get trumped by Collingwood they are really downplaying him now.
Houston's a good player but he's no Starcevich.

Starcevich is a total gun.

I might not be technically savvy with footy, but isn't what every team does

Surely a lot of words spoken by coaches are just words because, from what I can tell, statements like this are just stating the bleeding obvious of what all teams do to score.

There's two parts there. One is "going forward with the ball" - the alternative is going sideways where some teams go the immediate switch or (like us) have those 45 degree chip kicks forward and back to try and pick apart a zone.

The second part is "attacking in our front half".

This what we do - we tend to set up a very high zone with just about everyone the attacking side of centre, which can lead to embarrassing looking goals if not everyone is focused or on the same page, but if it works we get turnovers in scoring positions.

However other teams will attack from their defensive half. You'll see quite a few teams focus on generating turnovers in their back half and generating run from there. GWS would be an example where they'll back their defenders where the field gets narrower and let the ball move through the wings relatively unimpeded, get a turnover and then tsunami it forward if they can.

Another alternative is a focus on defending the whole ground and rather than getting turnovers, forcing ball ups and throw ins and back themselves to win contest after contest. This has probably been more a Carlton trait recently with the likes of Cripps in the middle. It's very player dependent.

I know some were discussing Jack Hayes, so may be of interest.

Personally, i don't see why we would be interested.
He will be 29 by the start of next season.
Played 8 AFL games in 3 years. Subbed off in 2 of those.
His best AFL season was his first.
VFL: No games in 2022, 4 games in 2023 and 6 games in 2024 last being R10
His VFL stats form is okay when he actually plays, but so was Brandon Ryan

Now if somehow the Lions pick him up, i will search far and wide to show why it was a good pickup.

Personally, i don't see why we would be interested.
He will be 29 by the start of next season.
Played 8 AFL games in 3 years. Subbed off in 2 of those.
His best AFL season was his first.
VFL: No games in 2022, 4 games in 2023 and 6 games in 2024 last being R10
His VFL stats form is okay when he actually plays, but so was Brandon Ryan

Now if somehow the Lions pick him up, i will search far and wide to show why it was a good pickup.
I wasn't advocating for him and to be honest, had no idea who he was until some on here were floating his name. Those stats make for poor reading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back