Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You can think something shouldn't happen without being offended when it does
Yeah, pretty much this.

We put sportspeople up on a pedestal in this country. They are role models, with all the pros & cons that go along with that, which they are more than aware.

We also have a serious problem in this country with violence against women.

I'm not offended. Maybe I would be though if a close friend or member of my family had been sexually assaulted or murdered by their spouse / partner, so I'm not going to judge those that are outraged.

Yeah, pretty much this.

We put sportspeople up on a pedestal in this country. They are role models, with all the pros & cons that go along with that, which they are more than aware.

We also have a serious problem in this country with violence against women.

I'm not offended. Maybe I would be though if a close friend or member of my family had been sexually assaulted or murdered by their spouse / partner, so I'm not going to judge those that are outraged.
Perfectly understandable that people get offended. Getting outraged and making it about a broader issue and painting those who have offended or at least more understandable of the situation as akin to perpetrators of the cause is another issue.

Violence full stop is an issue. Violence against women is a large part of the broader issue. I grew up in a neighbourhood where I'd often see mums with black eyes on the way to school. I wondered why or how without connecting the dots. Fwiiw I don't personally think it's a cultural thing. Some people just have the gene and the wrong family environment. In my experience.

Perfectly understandable that people get offended. Getting outraged and making it about a broader issue and painting those who have offended or at least more understandable of the situation as akin to perpetrators of the cause is another issue.

Violence full stop is an issue. Violence against women is a large part of the broader issue. I grew up in a neighbourhood where I'd often see mums with black eyes on the way to school. I wondered why or how without connecting the dots. Fwiiw I don't personally think it's a cultural thing. Some people just have the gene and the wrong family environment. In my experience.

Yeah I agree it's an individual thing moreso than a cultural thing, but It's important that sportspeople in this country are part of the solution given they are role models.

My first thoughts when seeing or hearing about incidents like this is that the players get all the information and training about social issues which they need to be role models on, and say and do all the right things when there's a camera on them, but then something like this happens & you think is it all just lip service? Is any of it sinking in? The official line is yeah, we take this seriously, but when the cameras off & it's just the boys then.... I guess they're young & this will be an important lesson that a lot will learn from.

On the flip side, you can probably call me a hypocrite on this too. When it comes to comedy I think no topic is taboo, I remember Mel Brooks saying that years ago & it stuck with me. From Richard Prior, George Carlin, Jim Jeffries, Jimmy Carr, Shane Gillis, I love it all. The more wrong, the funnier it is. I guess it's the difference between what you think & believe vs what you think is funny to say.

Lucky I'm not a footy player I guess.

I don't know why you are so keen to underplay this issue. It has clearly affected people within GWS.

See below:

You have come into this thread with about a dozen posts about how incomprehensible it is to you that people were affected by the actions of the GWS men. Maybe you should spend some time reading around the issue first?

Is it that hard to imagine that if a bunch of your work colleagues held a private function where they pretended/joked about raping people like you, you might find it unsavory to work with such colleagues in the future?

Im an Australian of indian heritage. I work in health and if I heard a bunch of my colleagues were making racist jokes at an after-work drinks then I would be wary of working with such people. I know of a doctor who got a warning/mark on AHPRA because they made derogatory remarks about Aboriginals at a Christmas party (supposedly as a joke). That was absolutely the right decision. If people like him can make such bad jokes around others, I wonder how they actually treat Aboriginal patients?

Im not a woman so I don't know exactly how impactful it was but you can clearly see it has hurt the GWS AFLW team. I imagine if you are an AFLW player or female coach and you see these antics, you see that Toby Greene and the AFL mens team leadership group participated/attended; you see that there was an internal investigation at GWS that cleared it; and then it was only after the AFL Integrity Unit got involved that actual punishments happened; you would probably worry about the people you were working with at the club.

We wonder why there are so few women in AFL coaching/management and then shit like this happens. I guarantee that stuff like this would never happen in my workplace because 50% of the doctors are female and would call it out immediately instead of waiting for the top level executives to come in. What happened here at GWS is absilutely a cultural issue.

Also age is such a big copout. I got my medical license at age 23 with another 200 odd other students of similar age (some even lower -like 21). We trust such young people to behave professionally around vulnerable people and yet we pay these players orders of magnitude greater to kick a ball around and they cant behave themselves for a few hours at an event? Toby Greene is 31. He didn't realise that he would be the most senior leader at a players only event and that he should step in when players were simulating domestic violence? Is Toby Greene a weak and pathetic leader unable to speak up or does he see nothing wrong with enacting domestic violence fantasies? Im sure the GWS AFLW team feel completely comfortable working with such a guy.

GWS are a rabble. If the Lions ever did something similar and the coaches/board were too ineffectual to actually handle it appropriately and instead the AFL had to step in to sort it out; I would definitely stop supporting this club.

I don't know why you are so keen to underplay this issue. It has clearly affected people within GWS.

See below:

You have come into this thread with about a dozen posts about how incomprehensible it is to you that people were affected by the actions of the GWS men. Maybe you should spend some time reading around the issue first?

Is it that hard to imagine that if a bunch of your work colleagues held a private function where they pretended/joked about raping people like you, you might find it unsavory to work with such colleagues in the future?

Im an Australian of indian heritage. I work in health and if I heard a bunch of my colleagues were making racist jokes at an after-work drinks then I would be wary of working with such people. I know of a doctor who got a warning/mark on AHPRA because they made derogatory remarks about Aboriginals at a Christmas party (supposedly as a joke). That was absolutely the right decision. If people like him can make such bad jokes around others, I wonder how they actually treat Aboriginal patients?

Im not a woman so I don't know exactly how impactful it was but you can clearly see it has hurt the GWS AFLW team. I imagine if you are an AFLW player or female coach and you see these antics, you see that Toby Greene and the AFL mens team leadership group participated/attended; you see that there was an internal investigation at GWS that cleared it; and then it was only after the AFL Integrity Unit got involved that actual punishments happened; you would probably worry about the people you were working with at the club.

We wonder why there are so few women in AFL coaching/management and then shit like this happens. I guarantee that stuff like this would never happen in my workplace because 50% of the doctors are female and would call it out immediately instead of waiting for the top level executives to come in. What happened here at GWS is absilutely a cultural issue.

Also age is such a big copout. I got my medical license at age 23 with another 200 odd other students of similar age (some even lower -like 21). We trust such young people to behave professionally around vulnerable people and yet we pay these players orders of magnitude greater to kick a ball around and they cant behave themselves for a few hours at an event? Toby Greene is 31. He didn't realise that he would be the most senior leader at a players only event and that he should step in when players were simulating domestic violence? Is Toby Greene a weak and pathetic leader unable to speak up or does he see nothing wrong with enacting domestic violence fantasies? Im sure the GWS AFLW team feel completely comfortable working with such a guy.

GWS are a rabble. If the Lions ever did something similar and the coaches/board were too ineffectual to actually handle it appropriately and instead the AFL had to step in to sort it out; I would definitely stop supporting this club.
Whilst I understand and to some extent agree with the points you are making I think you've misrepresented what my thoughts were and extrapolated them.

I'm not keen to do anything. I'm just putting up my true thoughts on the reaction to whatever it is that occurred. Misguided or otherwise.

Btw it was 7 posts. But I'm thinking 6 too many.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back