Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Jimmy Carr, Matt Rife, Shane Gillis. Any popular US comedian has made jokes about all of the GWS subjects.
I went to a Jimmy Carr gig a couple of years ago. I remember plenty of offensive stuff, but nothing racist.

I went to a Jimmy Carr gig a couple of years ago. I remember plenty of offensive stuff, but nothing racist.
Nah, Carr is extremely racist against GRT people (even by European standards!)

Yeah there’s no difference between comedians making distasteful jokes and people who are the public faces of sporting organisations making distasteful jokes

They didn't do it in a public forum or performance like a comedian or expect it to be for any public consumption.

There might be some double standards at play if it's publicly acceptable for some people and not acceptable privately for others.

Be interesting to know if they're genuinely remorseful.

They didn't do it in a public forum or performance like a comedian or expect it to be for any public consumption.

There might be some double standards at play if it's publicly acceptable for some people and not acceptable privately for others.

They did it in front of staff of the venue who were clearly put off enough to report it. If they wanted to do dumb shit, do it at a players house.

No but all the details did get out into the public forum and now the AFL is an organisation paying millions of dollars to guys who think it's ok to make fun of people who went through horrific incidents

They did it in front of staff of the venue who were clearly put off enough to report it. If they wanted to do dumb shit, do it at a players house.
Well I agree with that.

I blush at the sorts of things that used to be said at what were called Sportsmen's nights that never saw the light of day

Mostly the staff were laughing along. But yeah these days never do anything liable to cause offense within camera or earshot of others not directly involved with you . I would've thought that was self evident particularly for this generation but when they put up photos of what they eat or who they're hobnobbing with on a daily basis it's hard to break the habit.

I can't think of a single comedian who would make the kind of joke about the Hayne situation that was supposedly made by Fahey. Certainly none who would do it in a graphic way.

As others have said, there are plenty of jokes made by professional comedians that you wouldn't be able to use at a work Christmas party without facing some kind of follow-up from your employer.

He tested positive on gameday which is what the suspension was for
Well if you test positive on game day then that is a performance enhancing thing which is why he was suspended.
Outside of game day they get away Scott free.
Unless it becomes Public in some shape or form.

Mostly the staff were laughing along. But yeah these days never do anything liable to cause offense within camera or earshot of others not directly involved with you .
Which is sadly never anymore.

There is always some usually nut job lefty ready to be outraged on behalf of any and everyone and wanting to get their cancel culture brigade on to it to get someone outed or fired or whatever.

As an employer we had some idiot contact our company attempting to expose an employee for some comment they posted completely outside of the workplace and this PC warrior was doing there best to get them exposed and fired. Fortunately we did nothing. The employees comment was personal and in no way had anything to do with the company yet here we are with campaigners contacting companies still trying to get people in trouble.

What a society that people now dob because of their faux outrage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Norm McDonald was a legend. Never took any of this shit but he was just delaying the inevitable.

I'm sure 20 year old footballer Josh Fahey's routine had the same tact, comic ability, and understanding of nuance as one of the best comedians of all time.

Surely it goes without saying that the topic isn't necessarily the issue, it's the approach.

The AFL is generally keen to sweep any & every problem they can under the rug. The fact they haven't done that on this occasion says everything about just how offensive what occurred must have been.

Makes plenty of holocaust jokes ??
Holocaust and 9/11 jokes aren't the same as rape jokes or racist jokes IMO (unless you're entertaining denialist fantasies). It's why I was specific in my original post.

Holocaust and 9/11 jokes aren't the same as rape jokes or racist jokes IMO (unless you're entertaining denialist fantasies). It's why I was specific in my original post.

Really? All of them seem pretty bad. Just wondering what you think is different about them? All have a strong potential to hurt don’t they?

I can't think of a single comedian who would make the kind of joke about the Hayne situation that was supposedly made by Fahey. Certainly none who would do it in a graphic way.

As others have said, there are plenty of jokes made by professional comedians that you wouldn't be able to use at a work Christmas party without facing some kind of follow-up from your employer.
You must live a very sheltered life then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Non Lions Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back