Resource Noober's Player Videos for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

O'Farrell has been flying under the radar and perhaps sliding down a few draft boards after injury cost him most of his Champs campaign. He's most well know as a key defensive prospect, but has been playing forward in school footy and showed how capable he is in the role here. He had a direct hand in eight scores from his 10 disposals with six shots on goal of his own in addition to two score assists, and would have been even more damaging if he'd been more clinical with his set shot opportunities.

eDPS

Its been a theme that the kids playing VFL come back to the Talent League chock full of confidence and turn in a ripper performance, and Harvey Langford was no different. He was relentless and beastlike around the stoppages, damaging with the footy outside of the contest, strong overhead and slotted four goals to round things off and help his team get the win.

Obvs there's been a lot of noise about his pace, but he doesn't look slow to me. His first 2-3 steps out of a stoppage in fact looks quite good, which is more important than top speed or even 20m sprint I'd have thought for an inside mid.
His athletic profile can't be any worse than a Clayton Oliver (who is comparable in size & that inside/first possession role). Coupled with his good kicking, high production, elite consistency, big size, very good mark for a mid & ability to hit the scoreboard, I really can't see how he's not a top 5 lock.
I'd be happy if Eagles took at 3. I'd definitely have him over Smillie and Lalor.

Futbolista - very impressive I thought, so many appealing attributes. Malakai looked to have a solid game as well even though he didn't hit the scoreboard.

----

A strong performance from Hamish Davis helped Claremont qualify for the finals in last game of the WAFL regular season. He predominantly played high half forward with some run on a wing, and was able to show his endurance and dash up and down the ground. He was clean in swooping on loose balls and strong overhead, slotting three goals and showing why he's one of the most highly rated prospects in the 2024 WA crop.

Kicking seems a big question mark

Obvs there's been a lot of noise about his pace, but he doesn't look slow to me. His first 2-3 steps out of a stoppage in fact looks quite good, which is more important than top speed or even 20m sprint I'd have thought for an inside mid.
His athletic profile can't be any worse than a Clayton Oliver (who is comparable in size & that inside/first possession role). Coupled with his good kicking, high production, elite consistency, big size, very good mark for a mid & ability to hit the scoreboard, I really can't see how he's not a top 5 lock.
I'd be happy if Eagles took at 3. I'd definitely have him over Smillie and Lalor.
I'm no expert in stoppage craft, but my take on it is that he has slow acceleration but he's developed his stoppage craft a lot over the course of the season to compensate.

Earlier in the year he was often flat footed at stoppage and he lacks the speed off the mark to create separation so his stoppage possessions would often be scrappy/under pressure and low damage. These days, he generally looks to make body contact with his opponent as the ump tosses the ball up, use his strength to push off them, and then is already moving as the ruck tap hits the drop zone. This greatly helps to mitigate his naturally slow acceleration (at this level at least) whether craft alone will be enough to allow him to play midfield in the AFL I'm still not fully convinced.

A minor tragedy occurred in this game. Through one and a bit quarters of football we'd been treated to one of the best head to head battles of the year between Lindsay and Langford, directly matched up on each other in the middle and each at the absolute top of their game. Unfortunately we lost Xavier to a suspected PCL injury, cutting short the spectacle and probably cutting short his season given how few weeks we have remaining.

In his one quarter and 4 mins of play Lindsay racked up 11 disposals and 5 clearances showing just how hot a start he'd made.

I'm no expert in stoppage craft, but my take on it is that he has slow acceleration but he's developed his stoppage craft a lot over the course of the season to compensate.

Earlier in the year he was often flat footed at stoppage and he lacks the speed off the mark to create separation so his stoppage possessions would often be scrappy/under pressure and low damage. These days, he generally looks to make body contact with his opponent as the ump tosses the ball up, use his strength to push off them, and then is already moving as the ruck tap hits the drop zone. This greatly helps to mitigate his naturally slow acceleration (at this level at least) whether craft alone will be enough to allow him to play midfield in the AFL I'm still not fully convinced.
The way he positions himself on his opponent is really smart and plays to his strengths, always closer to the rucks so he can essentially get it at their feet, so as a first possession winner you could argue that it'll hold up as long as he's not on someone that actively wants that outside spot to receive (like you wouldn't want him on a Daicos sort who won't just follow him in, but will damage with the space instead).

I think the cleanliness/ damage from that first possession is what won't hold up well, the only reason he gets out of the congestion now is because CTL oppo aren't going to be as strong/ worked on their tackling craft as much as next level midfielders, and I think this was displayed in his VFL performance.

We're going back. Back to the year 2023. It was a mystical time full of possibility, when Finn O'Sullivan actually played football. There are hordes of people out there that want to know why Finn was pick 1 favourite entering this season and why many still have him at pick 1 even though he's barely fired a shot all year due to a series of unfortunate injuries. So during these gaps in the schedule over the next few weeks I'll be revisiting Finn's excellent bottom age season, and where better to start than round 1?

The season ended on a bit of a down note for Josh and his Eastern team as they fell away dramatically in the final quarter to lose in the Wild Card round to the Knights. It was a wild and windy day in Ballarat, and the intensity of the game was high, those two things combining to turn the game into a scrap with effective disposal at a premium. Smillie's natural instinct to take the game on with attack minded decisions caused him to turn the ball over on a number of occasions by hand and foot. He was still an influence at stoppage however, and had some highlight worthy moments including an unbelievable goal from an impossible angle.

Noober, have you got anything on WA's Hamish Davis from Claremont mate?.....or is watching that replay of his 4 goal effort in today's WAFL elimination final effort v EF, my best bet. The clubs take notice when potential draft picks, step up when it counts, in finals footy....and senior finals footy as well.

Noober, have you got anything on WA's Hamish Davis from Claremont mate?.....or is watching that replay of his 4 goal effort in today's WAFL elimination final effort v EF, my best bet. The clubs take notice when potential draft picks, step up when it counts, in finals footy....and senior finals footy as well.
There's search bar that will allow you to find the couple of Hamish videos I've posted in this thread... or even better you could pop over to my youtube channel and search there, and give the channel a sub while you're there.

Even easier than that, you can just type "Hamish Davis" into google, and my videos pop straight up as the first result.

I will definitely be doing Hamish's 4 goal game as a priority this week.

There's search bar that will allow you to find the couple of Hamish videos I've posted in this thread... or even better you could pop over to my youtube channel and search there, and give the channel a sub while you're there.

Even easier than that, you can just type "Hamish Davis" into google, and my videos pop straight up as the first result.

I will definitely be doing Hamish's 4 goal game as a priority this week.
You damn better you Vic haha.....he crushed those old easts......the thing is for us poor other eight clubs, Claremont are always about to take us out. I wouldn't like to say it's unfair because I would sound like a person who thinks the zones are unfair. Yeah good on Davis! Bloody Monts

You damn better you Vic haha.....he crushed those old easts......the thing is for us poor other eight clubs, Claremont are always about to take us out. I wouldn't like to say it's unfair because I would sound like a person who thinks the zones are unfair. Yeah good on Davis! Bloody Monts
That’s why they had 3 in the all Australian side this year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game from Murphy Reid was even better than the already impressive stats suggest. He proved his elite kicking skills by consistently hitting targets on a day that the wind was wreaking havoc with disposal. He managed to find space at times in a finals game where the pressure was ratcheted up several notches. He was swung forward in the final quarter and seemed to be involved in every score as the Dragons put the Jets to the sword.

The strong wind made clean passages of play nearly impossible and turned most of this game into a scrap, but Langford thrives in that kind environment. He used his strength and physicality at the contest attacking the ball and the man in equal measure, at times he and James Barrett threatened to turn it into a boxing match. He found a stack of footy as he always does, and hit the scoreboard at crucial times to help his Stingrays to build a lead and take the victory.

This was a fascinating watch as Jagga had to fight through a hard tag all game. Bottom ager Felix Kneipp got the job which he stuck to with discipline, working extra hard at stoppage to scrag and block Jagga's run and sticking with him as best he could on the spread. Jagga got frustrated at times, giving away a few retaliatory free kicks, but he mostly stuck at it and worked extra hard to break free which he managed at key moments, especially in the second half where he kicked a goal and played a role in a couple of other scoring chains.

This was a fascinating watch as Jagga had to fight through a hard tag all game. Bottom ager Felix Kneipp got the job which he stuck to with discipline, working extra hard at stoppage to scrag and block Jagga's run and sticking with him as best he could on the spread. Jagga got frustrated at times, giving away a few retaliatory free kicks, but he mostly stuck at it and worked extra hard to break free which he managed at key moments, especially in the second half where he kicked a goal and played a role in a couple of other scoring chains.

Hope Jagga wrote Noah Yze a thank you card

The impressive part about underager Felix Kneipp's shut down job on Jagga was the fact he found quite a bit of it himself.

Armstrong stepped up and played a strong game to kick off Sandy's finals campaign. The Dragons dominated territory for much of the game creating a lot of opportunities for their forwards, but the strong cross winds made pinpoint disposal to leading targets difficult. Harry showed superior judgement in the air on a couple of occasions to create chances from balls floating on the breeze, and he scrapped at ground level more than we often see from him. As always, he made the most of his chances, nailing set shots in the difficult conditions and making it look easy.

An excellent performance that proved Hamish Davis has what it takes to make the step to finals footy and not just meet the level but thrive. Playing his typical high half forward role, his tank and work rate was a feature as was his ability to play at high pace with clean hands. He might have had even more than 4 goals in this game if he hadn't missed a couple of gettable opportunities, a reminder that his variable kicking technique is the one thing that might hold him back from shooting up into first round contention even with his late season surge in form.

An excellent performance that proved Hamish Davis has what it takes to make the step to finals footy and not just meet the level but thrive. Playing his typical high half forward role, his tank and work rate was a feature as was his ability to play at high pace with clean hands. He might have had even more than 4 goals in this game if he hadn't missed a couple of gettable opportunities, a reminder that his variable kicking technique is the one thing that might hold him back from shooting up into first round contention even with his late season surge in form.

He does have an unusual kicking action.

Still, he a real competitor.

Thanks for the vid mate. Excellent work as always.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource Noober's Player Videos for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back