Norm Smith Medal - they got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually think Sewell deserved that honour, as he was crucuial in getting us some clearances during that period in the third quarter where we showed Geelong we meant business. But Ellis also impresse dme, has justified his position in the draft. Rioli was excellent and Dew was a champ.

Hodge winning, however, won me some money so yay for that.

Hodge absolutely deserved it. As others have said he epitomised why Hawthorn won today.

Hodge is an absolute champion. Time and time again he inspires when injured. Tremendous leader of men, speaks maturely. As brilliant as Judd is, I have Hodge on a par.

Don't worry about Hodgey's stats in terms of sheer numbers, it doesn't matter if he got a few of them in the final minute kicking the ball around. The fact is that he had a profound influence on the game with his marks, spoils, 1 percenters and tackles, as well as his kicking. Also went forward to get a goal from outside 50.

This was a hard Norm Smith to pick - not unlike 05. Ellis, Bateman, Ablett, Dew, Sewell, and Ablett were all good. Brown did get towelled up early by Mooney and was lucky Mooney couldn't kick straight.

It did seem like there were 2 Ablett's out there for a bit.

Hodge - was BOG. There's no argument.

I noticed Ablett missed quite a few targets with his kicking today. He instinctively thought to bounce the ball and carry rather than look for a long option, and by the time he was forced to kick the options had dried up.

Have no problem with Hodge winning it, he was very good, given far too much freedom. For Geelong I actually thought the best player was Selwood.

I would've given it to Ablett, he was the standout BOG for mine. No-one really stood out from Hawthorn for me as much or as consistently as GAJ did - much more of a team effort from them.

After his sooking at the brownlow both year is there a bigger sook in football today ???

yeah there is a couple...

62DA020C7FB6F2E634A7A5.jpg

mm_pl_1207.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Judd and Buckley shouldn't have won their's. I know the Norm Smith is technically for BOG, but really unless there is an amazingly standout performance (ie. Ablett in 89) it should always go to the winning team's best player.

Disagree - this is the same logic that suggests the 3 Brownlow votes must go to the winning team, hence the "oh, he can't win the Brownlow because his team didn't win enough games" comments we hear every year.

Both awards are supposedly for the best INDIVIDUAL player on the ground, not best from the winning team.

Sooner this logic ceases the better. As good as Hodge was, the bloke who played the best game today was Ablett.

Imo there was only 4 people who could have won it

Ablett: Being on the losing side factor probably cost him

Sewell: Was hugely influential when the game was on the line, if he had a few more touches in the last quarter or kicked a goal if would have been a shoe-in.

Dew: Similar to Sewell. Good first half, brilliant 3/4 but didnt do anything in the final term

Hodge: Had the better 4 quarter game of the 3 hawk contenders and a
deserved winner, the stats dont show how important he was, the amount of times he got back to make the contests in the defensive 50 and put in a spoil was brilliant.

As for those who say Ellis, im a big fan of ellis but he butchered the ball a fair bit today and put his teammates under pressure numerous times

The amount of goals Hodge thwarted was great.

There is also a great narrative around his game as well. That is given his ribs.

All of the stories on him will now end with "... and they he awarded him the Norm Smith for that".

Right decision.

The term 'spare man' in defence is way overused.

He generally had an opponent for most of the match, who he towelled up completely (Stokes) yet found time to get across and beat Mooney and Lonergen in the air when required.

Hodge was outstanding

I'd have given it to Sewell. Was awesome in the third when the game was there to be won.

Still, Hodge was a good choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Norm Smith Medal - they got it wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back