North and Richmond are exactly the same

Remove this Banner Ad

We were ahead of Richmond last year. So far this year, despite today's loss, they seem to have continued to improve ; I'm not yet convinced that we have. (Of course, I hope to be convinced in, say, 6 weeks from now).

There are similarities - our 2 goal to 8 third quarter brain fade today was probably not that different to North's 1 goal to 11 brain fade last week. Both sides are young and lack composure when the floodgates open.

We traded Carey for Wells, we didn't get him for just losing a lot of games. Cunnington was pick 5, Hansen was pick 4 from memory. There is a chasm between the first few players and the next batch.

So you had access to the cream of the crop, but you picked up Cunnington and Hansen?

Richmond are so much more likeable.
Great song, good colours and great supporters.
They also have a hell of lot more supporters.
For a team finishing 9th so many times, they dont have the North
chip on there shoulders mentality.
Great club.
North not so much.
Best song in the AFL. No doubt.

But Richmond a "great club?"

Collingwood are. They have success. They have droves of supporters. They treat their players well. They have great facilities. They have a culture where, if you're drafted there, you know they're going to do absolutely everything to make sure you're a good player – they won't hinder you in the way that Melbourne or Richmond will.

But that doesn't say everything about a club. Richmond are a club of on-field irrelevance and mediocrity. They are mentally brittle. They have some great players, but blokes like Rance and Nahas and King don't get games as top eight sides. They're absolute pretenders. As a club, they perpetuate this culture of just being average and of never excelling in anything at all

North Melbourne are charismatic. Just a reminder that they don't have pokies: they're the only club in a pokie-legalised area to not have them. That's why I like that club.

One of the reasons I've a bit of respect for North, probably my fav vic team. I think they have done well on-field with what they've got and play an exciting brand of footy. But to be honest, I think Richmond are better situated at the moment wiht the players they've got.

I don't want Richmond supporters to take it as a knock on their side, I really like Richmond, have a lot of family and friends who are Richmond supporters so I see them almost as much as I see my own side and think they are heading in the right direction.

We just have traveled down different roads.

Yeah, I would love to have Cotchin, Martin and Deledio in our midfield too. :p Richmond's midfield has amazing talent in it but our pedestrian midfield usually does okay against them.

I think their midfield is very good, would be better if they pissed off Jackson and put Vlastuin in the team. Richmond has done well, they have got to the point where they have gone from an easy beat to a competitive team, like a lot of teams have, they are in very crowded territory now, there are a lot of competitive teams. Going from competitive to the next step is a bit of a hurdle, especially to sustain forward movement.

I don't think either side has the experienced campaigners to fall back on to do it, they might have some good wins and a good premature season or two but you need a lot of experience to give you that foundation of a good side.

Teams have been focused on shutting down Cotchin's influence and Reiwoldt and that has more or elss translated into victories over Richmond, as they get better teams are going to expect more of a contest and will invest a whole lot into exposing every weak link in the side rather than just limiting the influence of a handful of very talented players. When they become the real deal they will experience the microscope on all their players as teams will look for any advantages they can get. That is what creates the chasm if you like from going from a competitive side to a contender.

At the moment yes...

...but In all seriousness, I'm not sure if this Richmond side can ever win a premiership with this team. It's hard to see them replacing their bottom 12 before it's too late.

If you are a supporter of a genuine premiership contender, have a look at the 22 that played against Collingwood and see the striking amount of players you'd never want on the park in a grand final. There's at most 10 players that I'd feel comfortable putting out on the MCG on the last saturday in September and the worrying thing about this is that most of those players left out, you can't see ever getting to that stage.

North under my rosed coloured glassed, have at most 3-4 of these players. Sam Gibson and Liam Anthony get a lot of hate on our board and get a lot of "We will never win a premiership with them in our side" calls, but most of these supporters don't feel like replacing two midfielders is too much to ask.

I'd rather have to worry about who is going to lift our team when Boomer retires, then how the hell do we win a premiership when we have to carry blokes like Jackson, Edwards, King, McGuane, Chaplin, Morris, Petterd and Knights. Even players they list as in their "best 10 players" are worries like Rance not being able to handle power forwards, Maric's form dropping off considerably and Martin only being able play a half at this point.

So you had access to the cream of the crop, but you picked up Cunnington and Hansen?

Having had 2 picks is a lot different to the number Richmond has, is this message confusing to you or do you just not get it?

Best song in the AFL. No doubt.

But Richmond a "great club?"

We are.

Collingwood are. They have success. They have droves of supporters. They treat their players well. They have great facilities. They have a culture where, if you're drafted there, you know they're going to do absolutely everything to make sure you're a good player – they won't hinder you in the way that Melbourne or Richmond will.

Please don't compare us to Melbourne, we are nothing like that soulless club, we can actually develop players, it's a reason why we have we've gone from 'as bad as Fitzroy' to possible finals in the space of 3 years.

But that doesn't say everything about a club. Richmond are a club of on-field irrelevance and mediocrity. They are mentally brittle. They have some great players, but blokes like Rance and Nahas and King don't get games as top eight sides. They're absolute pretenders. As a club, they perpetuate this culture of just being average and of never excelling in anything at all

Doesn't Dawson play for your mob? Nahas didn't play today, and King will eventually be replaced.

'on-field irrelevance' what does that even mean? Your club could fold and no one would bat an eye lid.

North Melbourne are charismatic. Just a reminder that they don't have pokies: they're the only club in a pokie-legalised area to not have them. That's why I like that club.

They don't have pokies because they even failed at doing that, they tried and lost money, and what ever happened to roo-bet? Yeah, NM have never taken advantage of the gambling market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond are so much more likeable.
Great song, good colours and great supporters.
They also have a hell of lot more supporters.
For a team finishing 9th so many times, they dont have the North
chip on there shoulders mentality.
Great club.
North not so much.

Considering we are speaking of minorities..I suggest you go look at the Tom Scully thread that was bumped very recently and see which supporters have the chip.

All clubs have them. Our club culture doesn't have a chip, only a few supporters do.

In terms of the playing group, yeap, pretty much all smoke no fire. However in terms of "the club" My god, richmond every day of the week. They have such a fire in their belly and passion and even after 33 years they just never give up hope. Sure they crack the wobblies, not sure nth supporters would dump a trailer load of poo at the social club. To me they have culture. North to me are empty, all puff no fire. Wingers really, always excuses.

I must say when I was a teenager and sat 4 seats from the front on the Southern stand wing and collingwood were getting absolutely smashed in the 1980 GF, I never thought richmond would never win another flag up to 2013. In a way I think the gods knew this was going to happen so they made sure the Tiges would go out in a bang.

orth Melbourne are charismatic. Just a reminder that they don't have pokies: they're the only club in a pokie-legalised area to not have them. That's why I like that club.

Once again, that's not by choice. They had them and nearly went broke through their own mismanagement of them.

Supporters of both clubs will feel this thread a slur and both sets of supporters will be right.

ManOfClay Which inside mids on your list under 23yo will have better careers than Cunnington?

Please name any/all of them.

Thread derailment in 3....2.....1

Don't think our teams are similar at all to be honest. Richmond have been more impressive that us this season but today was a good reality check (for both the team and certain supporters).

ManOfClay Which inside mids on your list under 23yo will have better careers than Cunnington?

Please name any/all of them.

Cunnington is behind both Liberatore and Wallis, despite being older. If all three keep improving at the same rate then Cunnington will be left behind.

I just love a good old North bash... :rolleyes:
Classy, Bigfooty. Classy.

Cunnington is behind both Liberatore and Wallis, despite being older. If all three keep improving at the same rate then Cunnington will be left behind.

So even by your own admission you have only two inside mids under 23 who will be better than Cunnington.

And yet you are bagging him on the Main Board?

ohyou.jpg

In terms of the playing group, yeap, pretty much all smoke no fire. However in terms of "the club" My god, richmond every day of the week. They have such a fire in their belly and passion and even after 33 years they just never give up hope. Sure they crack the wobblies, not sure nth supporters would dump a trailer load of poo at the social club. To me they have culture. North to me are empty, all puff no fire. Wingers really, always excuses.

I started this thread, and stand by its premise.

But saying Richmond have a better culture than us?

Fitzroy have played in more finals in the past 30 years than Richmond.

No team has such a history of failure in this time span.

What picks were Cunnington, Hansen, Wells, Ziebell drafted from?

You make out like North have never gotten high picks, but aren't all these guys top 10, three of them top five?

Cunnington, Hansen, Ziebell, Trotter
vs
Deledio, Tambling, Vickery, Cotchin, Martin, Conca, Oakley-Nicholls

That's top 10 picks since 2003 or so.

Fair to say, Richmond has had a lot more opportunity to access top end talent.

Doesn't mean anything but using our 3 high draft picks to say North have had good access to the draft is stupid. Melbourne, Carlton, the Dogs, Eagles, Essendon, maybe Collingwood and Freo off the top of my head would all have more.

But yeah, I agree with the premise of this thread, not in comparing teams but where they are at.
Yes Richmond may have more top end talent, but currently they have the same issues as North - carried by too few, have times of poor concentration/discipline (round 1 vs Carlton, round 4 vs Collingwood two examples) and can be very good with disposal - but also make costly mistakes.

So having said that - if you disregard the 'exact same' part and don't compare individual players etc, Richmond and North have very similar deficiencies. No surprise that out of the last 6 games or something only one was decided by more than 2 goals - and that the NAB cup matches are also close (usually indicating youth/depth care pretty competitive against each other)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back