North make $5m offer for Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higgins is borderline elite, he's not in the same category as the so called big fish North are so desperate to land. Having a good year but dont kid yourself.

Nice backpedal there mate. Higgins is elite.

Back on topic, big offers are required to recruit big players. No issue with North going after stars/future stars.

Last edited:
Nice backpedal there mate. Higgins is elite.
Backpedal? He is borderline at best, and thats only based on a reasonable 2017/18. Stil averaging only 19 disposals as a mid, and only once in 11 seasons got to double figures in the brownlow (11) and that was way back in 2009, hardly elite. But keep dreaming.

Last edited:
Well there is a good chance we will see De Goey play more midfield minutes niw Treloar is out. Hard to get 30 touches playing forward and kicking bags.
Averaging 1.7 goals a game is kicking bags?

We’ll see how he goes in the midfield.

Backpedal? He is borderline at best, and thats only based on a reasonable 2017/18. Stil averaging only 19 disposals as a mid and has only once in 11 seasons get to double figures in the brownlow (11) and that was way back in 2009 is hardly elite. But keep dreaming.

What? Right now, Higgins is averaging 27 disposals and is #1 in the comp for inside 50’s, he’s elite mate.

Did you use his career average and claim that’s as a midfielder? Lol he was a forward his entire career until now mate.

Higgins is elite and he would walk into any team of the competition, that can't be a discussion worth having in this thread.

Lloyd from Sydney would be a good pickup.

I know Jack Martin is contracted to 2019 but he is a huge talent...

Both of the above would suit North...

It is a lot of money to offer someone not as proven as a D.Martin or Dangerfield.

Backpedal? He is borderline at best, and thats only based on a reasonable 2017/18. Stil averaging only 19 disposals as a mid, and only once in 11 seasons got to double figures in the brownlow (11) and that was way back in 2009, hardly elite. But keep dreaming.

Higgins has played half back and half forward and has been injured for a fair chunk of that sample size.

The only consideration is the now, he's in the best 10 midfielders in the league at the moment and one of the favourites for the Brownlow.

Only a serial North troll like yourself would deny it, I know it hurts, but just let go....

Exactly , have to pressure the caps of other clubs to squeeze out one of the young stars .

Amazing most supports don't understand this.

The longer this lasts the better it actually gets for us.

A 5 and a 6 are bags aren't they?
Sure, but averaging 1.7 goals a game shows that he isn’t massively consistent or that he isn't necessarily going to dominate as a midfielder.

Last edited:
Higgins is a star ... only thing ever holding him back was continuity through not having his body right .
Rapt for him that he has now had a sustained period to play at the level he knew was within .

Amazing most supports don't understand this.

The longer this lasts the better it actually gets for us.
And with the team you guys are building you are only 1 or 2 absolute guns away from having crack at flag .
I think DeGoey is worth paying overs for , he is an absolute bull and complements the Kangas list .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a guy averaging 18 disposals, JDG isn't getting 5 million from North. Kelly on the other hand or Gaff on good money. North need genuine mids, not part-time mids, we've already got a few of them.

The player manager's linking everyone to North sthick is getting a little old.
18 disposals isn't very relevent. He's gone through his development years and he's playing mainly as a forward not a midfielder right now. You would be paying for his future not his past given his age.

He is excactly the profile you (and Collingwood) need. Strong body, quick legs and mind, good mark and goal sence. He's not a forward that can play in the midfield he's a midfielder that's good enough to play as a permanent forward and the latter is more needed at Collingwood right now.

If Elliot gets fit he'll play as a mid at Colingwood. He'll probaby play midfield with Treloar injured now anyway.

That said, the reported offer is too high. If that's what it takes to keep him he'll be traded for a first round pick plus a sweetener.

Last edited:
Are North prepared to pay Higgins an elite salary? You know, $1,000,000+.

Re-signed last year.

So no, we probably don't need to.

He'd still be on decent coin of 600-700 though.

Sure, but averaging 1.7 goals a game shows that he isn’t massively consistent or that he isn't necessarily going to dominate as a midfielder.

He's never had a full uninterupted preseason, his growth potential is very high.

Degoey is an impact player and a player capable of swinging momentum. Doesn't need 40 possessions to have a huge say on the game.

18 disposals isn't very relevent. He's gone through his development years and he's playing mainly as a forward not a midfielder right now. You would be paying for his future not his past given his age.

He is excactly the profile you (and Collingwood) need. Strong body, quick legs and mind, good mark and goal sence. He's not a forward that can play in the midfield he's a midfielder that's good enough to play as a permanent forward and the latter is more needed at Collingwood right now.

If Elliots gets fit he'll play as a mid at Colingwood. He'll probaby play midfield with Treloar injured now anyway.

That said, the reported offer is too high. If that's what it takes to keep him he'll be traded for a first round pick plus as sweetener.
Don’t get me wrong, he is very talented and has elite potential, but that’s the issue I have, it’s just potential at this stage. I don’t think it’s a million, unless the 800k mark from the pies is right.

Don’t get me wrong, he is very talented and has elite potential, but that’s the issue I have, it’s just potential at this stage. I don’t think it’s a million, unless the 800k mark from the pies is right.

Really if teams weren't poaching him you would estimate around 600kish @ 3 year deal based off output and potential growth, he then would be looking at a big bump at 25 yo (peaking form) 5 year deal @ 750-1mil (potential realised).

But where there are club seeking to lure said talent away above and beyond offers push these contracts up.

Last edited:
I hope so. We are in a similar position to North in that we need quality midfielders. We may need DeGoey even more than North. If we have the coin then why not. Go hard at the kid. He can certainly play football and looks a sure fire gun.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-28/de-goey-a-saint-well-look-at-him-richo

NORTH Melbourne isn't backing away from reports it is after Collingwood young gun Jordan De Goey and former Magpies football manager Graeme Allan could be its wildcard.

Meanwhile, St Kilda is also after star players and wants the out-of-contract Pie.

After a stint at Collingwood in 2016, he would have knowledge of how its salary cap is placed. That could prove crucial, considering recent suggestions North has thrown a five-year, $5 million deal at De Goey.

Scott didn't deny his club was after the bullocking goalkicker when speaking to reporters at Arden Street on Thursday.

"I think it's the nature of the industry. You can tell lies and you can deny everything. I think the easiest thing for us to do is just to go on with our business and not provide additional comment to what's already been thrown out there," Scott said.

However, Scott knows landing De Goey won't be easy.

"We know that it's incredibly difficult to attract players from other clubs. Possession really is nine-tenths of the law," Scott said.

"Our chairman's been quite public in saying we want to be aggressive in the market place and that will certainly continue but we're aware of the challenges it also presents."

Reports have emerged of De Goey being offered $5 million over five years and, when asked about the Pie, coach Alan Richardson effectively declared his side was in the hunt.

"If he's a good player, then we'll look at him. It's as simple as that really," Richardson told reporters at RSEA Park on Thursday.

"We're looking to support our list. We think that what we've done in terms of going to the draft and bringing in young talent that we think potentially can be great players, we think we've done a pretty good job in that space, but we need to support that with some experience and some top-end talent."

If the ladder holds until the end of the season, St Kilda will have the No.3 selection at this year's NAB AFL Draft.

However, the club is willing to part with that pick, if the deal is good enough.

"We'll look at everything. That's our attitude. Whatever it is that makes us better," Richardson said.

"It's a strong draft, so whether that's going to the draft or whether we think we can do a deal that sees us puts us in an even better position, then we'll look at that too."

De Goey must be the greatest Collingwood player of the 21st century? Personally i don't rate him in their top 5 currently, but if North want to throw all that money at this average player then go right ahead...It's an insane offer that De Goey must take, surely Eddie won't go close to matching that sort of insanity?
Average player? FMD!!

Of course he isn't worth the money but a million pa is what it'll take to pry him away from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back