North make $5m offer for Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So you didn't rate him as elite then, no-one else did to bump up the price and now he's played half a good season...

Been very very good at North .Now we can argue semantics about whether hes elite or not. But North or other clubs aren't going to throw huge money at a 30 year old when he doesn't have time on his side to recover from a serious injury. Bit different when a guys 21-22
so pretty silly guide to judge whether a player is elite or not

I'd be running with the angle that this is a player manager/journo fabricated story.

And look, surprise, surprise..................whis is De Goeys Manager? Why.............it's Ben NIALL!

...........and who broke this story? Hey.............I know that...........it was The Age

...........and who Is Ben Niall's brother? Why.........that would be Jake NIALL..........who just happens to work at..............THE AGE!

What an amazing coincidence!
Jake Nial shouldn't be allowed out in public during daylight hours, his head is so rough it's scares children.

Of course he isn't worth the money but a million pa is what it'll take to pry him away from us.
Yes, that may be true, but i bet Jaidyn Stephenson's manager is watching this closely because that kid is a much better player than De Goey
and if Eddie goes anywhere near matching the North offer then Stephenson will be worth $6million for 5 years!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not really sure $1m per is wise but i guess your paying on potential.

I will say a situation where they keep JDG and get Lynch seems unlikely now. Whilst I think the pies have a very good list there is a slight hole in KPF stocks, don't know if Cox is a week in week out answer, not sure on Moore's intentions. Maybe the pies pool their resources for Lynch. That is only way i see JDG coming to North.

Not sure JDG has justified that money yet, particularly for a bloke who earlier has been caught lying directly to his coach, and who's performances aren't at that level yet.
For 1mil a year, there are a lot of better midfielders on less.

This is my concern, i guess the gamble would be if he develops into a better player as he enters his prime.

Yes, that may be true, but i bet Jaidyn Stephenson's manager is watching this closely because that kid is a much better player than De Goey
and if Eddie goes anywhere near matching the North offer then Stephenson will be worth $6million for 5 years!!!

He's already signed a 2 year extension. (I feel like our whole team is gonna come out of contract in 2020 - not sure if thats great forward planning).

There's also no suggestion from Collingwood that they will try to match this figure. It might drive their offer up by 1-150k but I would be suprised if they offer substantially more than 700k/yr.

Surely its actually the top North players who would be looking at their bank balances. If North has the cap space to throw these kind of deals around (one North supporter suggested 3.5m in this thread - which I don't really believe) then your Brown/Cunnington/Ziebell/Higgins should all also be asking for 1m plus.

Not sure JDG has justified that money yet, particularly for a bloke who earlier has been caught lying directly to his coach, and who's performances aren't at that level yet.
For 1mil a year, there are a lot of better midfielders on less.

He hasn't earned that kind of money, yet. If he was worth $1m on performance, he would get that at Collingwood. That is the whole point. On potential he is probably worth $500k a year atm, however, goal kicking midfielders are the type of player that can win flags, like Shannon Grant did for us, like Martin did for Richmond. He is showing the potential of what he might become. He may not become that good a player, that is a risk we have to weigh up.

It is exceptionally difficult to get a super high quality player to move clubs, it is hard enough to attract a player that wants to leave a club, ie for a go home factor or whatever, to try and get someone who is comfortable where they are to leave requires a significant incentive. If we offered him $750k, he would probably get something close by Collingwood and he can say, the difference isn't worth it.

It comes down to who wants to bare the risk. We offered Kelly $1.2m a year over 7 years, he settled for $800k per year for 2 years, he felt it was worth chasing the success in the short-term and GWS were honest with him that it would come at a cost. But $800k is still a lot of money for a 22 year old. He comes out of contract at the end of 2019, if he would have a horrendous career threatening injury between now and then he can kiss that goodbye. GWS put Ahern on a generous contract, did 2 knee recos in one year and they basically gave him to us for nothing as long as we carried his salary. Where is the loyalty going to be at the end of 2019 if Kelly has problems and is not going to be remotely worth the money? Who ends up paying? The player does. GWS aren't going to give him shit if they don't think he is worth it.

JDG might stay loyal to Collingwood, take well under, then what happens if say he suffers a few massive concussions and his career is over? How many nanoseconds would it take for Collingwood to flush him down the toilet? Loyalty is a factor, but some supporters want the player to bare all the risk when it comes to their potential to earn. If he takes a big contract then that risk is passed on to the club and we have off-set that risk by accumulating cap space. We have somewhere in the vicinity of $2.5m to $3m of effective space from contracts carried forward, we have the scope to reduce the impact of one or two players by front-loading their contracts into the first year or two where we have been prepaying some contracts, if we use all of say $2.5m to offset on a JDG offer then the $1m a year for 5 years only impacts our salary cap going forward for $500k a year, the premium we offer him is basically just an incentive to move and a significant chunk of the contract will be absorbed by the cap space that has been created. It wouldn't take an abnormal chunk out of our TPP going forward.

He is just not going to even consider moving club for a trivial difference, you either have to become a good option or you are no option at all.

He's already signed a 2 year extension. (I feel like our whole team is gonna come out of contract in 2020 - not sure if thats great forward planning).

There's also no suggestion from Collingwood that they will try to match this figure. It might drive their offer up by 1-150k but I would be suprised if they offer substantially more than 700k/yr.

Surely its actually the top North players who would be looking at their bank balances. If North has the cap space to throw these kind of deals around (one North supporter suggested 3.5m in this thread - which I don't really believe) then your Brown/Cunnington/Ziebell/Higgins should all also be asking for 1m plus.
Browns on about 800k
Higgo 600-650k
Ziebs/Cunnington could probably get a thrown a brown bag or 2 under a de goey signing situation.

NMFC has done a great job of salary cap management. Simple as that. Wanted players do not leave - ever.

Obviously having a harder time signing young players from other teams, but that's because we are targeting guns, nothing more.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Browns on about 800k
Higgo 600-650k
Ziebs/Cunnington could probably get a thrown a brown bag or 2 under a de goey signing situation.

NMFC has done a great job of salary cap management. Simple as that. Wanted players do not leave - ever.

Obviously having a harder time signing young players from other teams, but that's because we are targeting guns, nothing more.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also, in order to hit the cap minimum recently we have been forward loading a lot of contracts

When did De Goey become a $1 million player ??? He has hard what, 3 good games this season. He may develop into a good player but there is no way known that he is currently worth $1 million/year ...........

Im not really sure $1m per is wise but i guess your paying on potential.

I doubt it's even fact.

It's a good number for Collingwood to throw about, and it makes better copy.

giphy.gif

Browns already long term. Higgins is signed until hes 32 and Ziebells signed on until hes 32 aswell. Cunnington is insanely loyal and there isnt a player in the league that cares less about big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back