Northern Football League Division 1 - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hammer never played a junior game at macleod buddy. doing a pre app doesnt bloody stop you from playing footy mate im pretty sure all the players in the nfl work. so now back to the home grown talent you look after, like the other post how many of them actually play seniors at heid?? i can think of drapac and favrin

Ouch......... Hopefully most of us work...... My bad bout his junior club....... Ask him; he said sorting out his apprenticeship was more important at that stage..... Oh yeah you forgot about young Crispe..... Been at Heid since the juniors got back up and going..... But then again you will probably bag Heid for having juniors again....... He is 18 so the first to come through the junior club.....

Furious Styles, I would, in general, have to agree with you. I think that the standard has really leveled out over the past few seasons with that level of standard dropping. Overall, I believe that our clubs tend to recruit from within rather than introducing new blood to the competition, with Heidelberg as the exception. And this is one of the reasons why they have keep well ahead of the pack.
As well, the standard of the juniors coming thru has also plateaued off. Interestingly, over the past weekend was the Vic Metro Junior Championships with the NFL, like most other leagues, fielding two sides in the U14 and U15 age group divisions. For the first time that I can remember, and proably all time, none of the NFL teams won a game. And while there will no doubt be boys that come thru and make their mark in the seniors, overall, it doesn't bode well for the future standard in the league when compared to the other leagues.

the fact that the nfl juniors did not win a game may be more to do with the selection of the sides rather than the quality. Better to select the best possible side even if that means some clubs are not represented.

More to the point. How many juniors from our League in the last 10 lived their dream and played AFL?

Boof, just quickly off the top of the head in the last couple of seasons we have had Ben McKinley (West Coast), Ricky Dyson (Essendon), John Anthony (Collingwood) Jack Grimes (Melbourne), Brett Meredith (Sydney), Trent Cotchin (Richmond) Pat Veszpremi (Sydney) with Dylan Grimes picked up by Richmond in last years draft and Daniel Currie on Sydney's list from the 2008 draft. I know there are others as well as a few playing seniors in the VFL. And of course, going way back you have Boomer Harvey at North Melbourne and Simon Prestigiacomo at Collingwood.

Boof, just quickly off the top of the head in the last couple of seasons we have had Ben McKinley (West Coast), Ricky Dyson (Essendon), John Anthony (Collingwood) Jack Grimes (Melbourne), Brett Meredith (Sydney), Trent Cotchin (Richmond) Pat Veszpremi (Sydney) with Dylan Grimes picked up by Richmond in last years draft and Daniel Currie on Sydney's list from the 2008 draft. I know there are others as well as a few playing seniors in the VFL. And of course, going way back you have Boomer Harvey at North Melbourne and Simon Prestigiacomo at Collingwood.

Carlton's No 1 draft pick...ahm...what's his name.....oh yeah....Kreuzer.
Also Michael Hurley
Can add McKeon, Kerrison, Shane Watson, Daniel Harford, Robert Dickson..

Also Michael Hurley
you also forgot Zaharakis now at Essendon, but then you are a mad pies fan and have proberbly wiped that great goal in the wet last year out of your mind......

Trent Hoppner Number 47 Carlton played 1 game v Port for 6 possies. DuD at the highest level ( and he wont mind me saying it either !)

I can tell you now that he will read that and it's a disappointing comment.
If only you knew of the horrible injury he sustained due to the liability of AFL.....He is one footballer who had more ticker than most of the names put up here in the past 24 hours

you also forgot Zaharakis now at Essendon, but then you are a mad pies fan and have proberbly wiped that great goal in the wet last year out of your mind......

Ouch....remember that goal well and it's the only highlight he has to date.
Not too sure if he will add to it though.....

the fact that the nfl juniors did not win a game may be more to do with the selection of the sides rather than the quality. Better to select the best possible side even if that means some clubs are not represented.

Well Done FBH > you have hit the nail on the head - even if you did hit your thumb on the follow through :p
The idea of picking 2 players from each club to add to an NFL Rep side makes it it ny impossible to have the "best side". It's political rather than a geniune attempt to put it's best players to the teast against other leagues.

I.M.H O - There is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of the younger talent coming through the junior ranks of the NFL at the moment. However, I am not sure that the NFL and/or some of the Clubs themselves, do not do enough to identify and work with the talent being fostered.

Of course, if they are any Bloody good, the Northern Knights get them into their programs U15 / U16 / U18 and the NFL don't or rarely see these players until they are either fully developed players wanting to enter NFL senior Footy (mind you with their hand out for $$$) or when they are discarded because they simply weren't quite good enuff !

There are of course some that do go on to pursue their dreams. Some of which make it / some that don't. Either way, if they don't make the big time hopefully they will filter back to their club of origin and further their career and/or put me back into the NFL.

Have look at the following Listing of Northern Knights TAC U 18 Players, and although there are no gurantees that these kids will be superstars, I am sure many them would / could /will become solid NFL senior players in the years to come. And Look out, as some of these kids will be your next AFL draftee. - There are massive wraps on "Chops" 'lil bro - Josh who is captain of the knights.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=720888

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Done FBH > you have hit the nail on the head - even if you did hit your thumb on the follow through :p
The idea of picking 2 players from each club to add to an NFL Rep side makes it it ny impossible to have the "best side". It's political rather than a geniune attempt to put it's best players to the teast against other leagues.

I.M.H O - There is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality of the younger talent coming through the junior ranks of the NFL at the moment. However, I am not sure that the NFL and/or some of the Clubs themselves, do not do enough to identify and work with the talent being fostered.

Of course, if they are any Bloody good, the Northern Knights get them into their programs U15 / U16 / U18 and the NFL don't or rarely see these players until they are either fully developed players wanting to enter NFL senior Footy (mind you with their hand out for $$$) or when they are discarded because they simply weren't quite good enuff !

There are of course some that do go on to pursue their dreams. Some of which make it / some that don't. Either way, if they don't make the big time hopefully they will filter back to their club of origin and further their career and/or put me back into the NFL.

Have look at the following Listing of Northern Knights TAC U 18 Players, and although there are no gurantees that these kids will be superstars, I am sure many them would / could /will become solid NFL senior players in the years to come. And Look out, as some of these kids will be your next AFL draftee. - There are massive wraps on "Chops" 'lil bro - Josh who is captain of the knights.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=720888

The Knights are a game clear atop the U/18 ladder presently. Further proof the quality of kids coming through is healthy compared to other regions in Melbourne.

Also Michael Hurley

Ah, Kreuzer never played juniors in the DVFL/NFL - he was at Bundoora Juniors in he Yarra League. Same with Hurley, he was with Macleod in that same league. And although Zaharakis was listed as an Eltham junior I don't think he played too many VFL/NFL games and pretty sure he wasn't in their representative sides over the years.
And The Boof was looking for players in the past 10 years so if we are mentioning everyone then the Diamond Creek boys can claim the Cordner brothers at Melbourne !

With the split TAC Round word is Chops' lil bro might line up with his big Bro for the first and only time...against Chops' old club. What more can you ask for???

The Knights are a game clear atop the U/18 ladder presently. Further proof the quality of kids coming through is healthy compared to other regions in Melbourne.

True, but remember that the Knights are mad eup of players from clubs across both the NFL and Yarra League. Be interesting to know the split amongst the two leagues.
And of course performance in the TAC Cup doesn't always equate to being drafted, especially if you win the Morrish Medal (B&F). Recent former players M. Brown, F. Caruso (twice?) and A.Woods have won that medal in recent years and not been drafted.

Originally Posted by Kickass

With the split TAC Round word is Chops' lil bro might line up with his big Bro for the first and only time...against Chops' old club. What more can you ask for???

I think the Panthers would have to give approval first, and don't see that happening ...................

I can tell you now that he will read that and it's a disappointing comment.
If only you knew of the horrible injury he sustained due to the liability of AFL.....He is one footballer who had more ticker than most of the names put up here in the past 24 hours
trent hoppner hey, please dont get me started on him. The bloke come trained down macleod and looked very slow and over weight, rumor has it he goes through a box of kit kats a week, sounds as if the only thing he has a ticker for is his tucker:)

Ah, Kreuzer never played juniors in the DVFL/NFL - he was at Bundoora Juniors in he Yarra League. Same with Hurley, he was with Macleod in that same league. And although Zaharakis was listed as an Eltham junior I don't think he played too many VFL/NFL games and pretty sure he wasn't in their representative sides over the years.
And The Boof was looking for players in the past 10 years so if we are mentioning everyone then the Diamond Creek boys can claim the Cordner brothers at Melbourne !

DUh! Matty was a StMarys player along with:
Terry Keays 45* Collingwood and Richmond Daniel Harford 162* Hawthorn and Carlton Blake Caracella 187 Essendon/Brisbane/Collingwood Daniel Stevens 15* North Melbourne Stuart Mangin 3* Collingwood Nick Stevens 192 Port Power and Carlton Andrew Eccles 54* Adelaide and Carlton Ben Johnson 155 Collingwood Ben Finnin Adelaide and Geelong Brayden Shaw Collingwood Joel McDonald 55 Brisbane Ryan Willetts Port Power Matthew Kreuzer Carlton Patrick Veszpremi Sydney Swans:)

Just to let you know that Michael Hurley did actually play for Macleod in the NFL late in the 2006 season when the Knights were out of the finals. He played a couple of under-19s games, Harmesy said thank you very much and played him in the last H&A game v Greensborough and he kicked 5 goals on debut (aged 16 then). Played in our finals including the GF where we had our pants pulled down by the Slime. You're right though, he did play most of his junior footy for Macleod in the YJFL. Anyway, he has promised to come back and captain-coach Macleod in 2025 when his AFL career is done.
Our next one to make it will be Billy Longer, 6'7" ruckman playing for Vic Metro in under-18 national champs. Not eligible for this year's draft but has great skills and is on GWS radar.

Originally Posted by Kickass

I think the Panthers would have to give approval first, and don't see that happening ...................

Can't stop a player transfering if he doesn't owe his club money.

Kickass said:
True, but remember that the Knights are mad eup of players from clubs across both the NFL and Yarra League. Be interesting to know the split amongst the two leagues.
And of course performance in the TAC Cup doesn't always equate to being drafted, especially if you win the Morrish Medal (B&F). Recent former players M. Brown, F. Caruso (twice?) and A.Woods have won that medal in recent years and not been drafted.

Fort Caruso very very unlucky........height was a major problem. only player other than dave rodan to win morrish medal twice. caruso currently playing in the SANFL and ripping it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back