Northern Football League Division 2 - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could not make the game today, but was texted that Whittlesea won the toss and kicked against an 8 goal wind,is that true and was it a good game. If true about the toss was that the difference ?
Actually it is hard to believe that it is true

Wind should not decide premierships. While they keep palying finals over at High Street that is going to happen, bring final back to the Diamond Valley

suck it up macleod. u have six months til all your arrogance comes crashing back to earth. cant wait till u come and play with the big boys. Put alot of u so called good footballers back in there box.

Congrats Macleod. :) A great season after so much heartache.

Not sure what happened towards the end of the game with the crowd.
Someone got ko'd and ended up in the Macleod change rooms. Poor end to a great day.

I was near it and heard that a Macleod fan kicked a Whittlesea fan in the head while he was on the ground and then did a runner into the rooms followed by some of them. Sorry if this is not true, just what I heard. It was certainly Whitlesea blokes who were more furious about what happened. Just after that I saw a stocky fella with greying hair (presumably Whittlesea) swing a punch on the hill, miss with it and fall over down the hill with the momentum. Funny as f*ck, but as you say unsavory all round.

well said enjoy the win because that will b ur last win ..
when u play div 1 , u will not win a single game with that team....
u will b like the thomo of 09 have fun.................

Ha hA - You sound like a Thomastown supporter. If that's the case, then I don't rate your chances to much in D2 next year

Don't underestimate the power of the Puffa ! I'm thinking that there could
be a few recruits knocking on our door now that we're in 1st division.

suck it up macleod. u have six months til all your arrogance comes crashing back to earth. cant wait till u come and play with the big boys. Put alot of u so called good footballers back in there box.

Here we go - the posters from the D1 thread coming down to the D2 thread. Looking over your shoulders already

Before dills like you and Lions12 give us the old "you will never win a game in division one" line, just cut us a bit of slack for what we have achieved. The club has won its first senior premiership in 38 years and it's been done on the back of a lot of bloody hard work. I am sure Slasher, Underbelly and others will elaborate more but I can tell you for a fact the club was on its knees in the mid-1990s...broke, getting thumped every week and rudderless off the field. Your comments are an insult to people like Derek Shaw, Slasher, Colla and many others who turned the place around in the late 1990s, weeded out the d...heads and made it the enjoyable club it is today. It wasn't rocket science – we affiliated with the junior club and not only did we get talented players, we got the right people to run the club.
We will celebrate for a week or so like any side that wins the flag and then we are going to roll up our sleeves and work even harder to ensure our move to division one is a successful one. If we can follow the lead of Greensborough and Lalor in recent years I believe we can make a fist of it. It's a massive challenge but I can assure you we are up for it.
One last thing – you say we will not win a game "with that team". You are seriously underestimating the talent, strength and character of people like Kane Shaw, Cathal Corr, Nick Lynch and several others who are in their early 20s and will be a part of our club for many years to come. Kane Shaw would rate with any captain in local footy and if you had watched him before, during and after the game yesty would appreciate what a great leader he is.
Anyway, we will be signing off from here very soon and heading to the division one thread!

Could not make the game today, but was texted that Whittlesea won the toss and kicked against an 8 goal wind,is that true and was it a good game. If true about the toss was that the difference ?
Actually it is hard to believe that it is true
Surely Whittlesea wouldn't have been that stupid.What on earth were they thinking?

I remember giving the Rooboys a caining after they lost 3 on the trot!!! at the end of last year, Im glad you have made me eat my words and congrats on breaking your grand final hoodoo's maybe all the bagging on here you all copped was all the kick in the arse you needed.. All the best in Divi 1 next year im sure you will win more than 1 game :)
How did number 5 go from the Rooboys yesturday?

Surely Whittlesea wouldn't have been that stupid.What on earth were they thinking?
been a supporter of THE BUG however coach you have to wear this one.not saying it cost you a flag but as every person with a half decent football knowledge knows you kick with the wind when gifted an oppurtunity to.

being in front at quarter time gives you the right to dictate a game.i thought you were a member of the constabulary not the weather bureau.

MINDBOGGLING

Congrats Macleod. :) A great season after so much heartache.

I was near it and heard that a Macleod fan kicked a Whittlesea fan in the head while he was on the ground and then did a runner into the rooms followed by some of them. Sorry if this is not true, just what I heard. It was certainly Whitlesea blokes who were more furious about what happened. Just after that I saw a stocky fella with greying hair (presumably Whittlesea) swing a punch on the hill, miss with it and fall over down the hill with the momentum. Funny as f*ck, but as you say unsavory all round.

Heard the same thing about the kicking incident from someone who witnessed it. No justification for that kind of gutless behavior, hope the person gets dealt with appropriately!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha hA - You sound like a Thomastown supporter. If that's the case, then I don't rate your chances to much in D2 next year

Don't underestimate the power of the Puffa ! I'm thinking that there could
be a few recruits knocking on our door now that we're in 1st division.

fair enough u won the flag. congrats

but obviosly div 1 is a totally different ball game. u found that out in the practice match against eltham this year. when they absolutley bent you over. im sure you will get a rude awakening.

fair enough u won the flag. congrats

but obviosly div 1 is a totally different ball game. u found that out in the practice match against eltham this year. when they absolutley bent you over. im sure you will get a rude awakening.

I remember Macleod being ahead at half time....but if you want to take practice match form as the measuring stick.....

Oh who cares - we got silverware. I'm gonna lap it up for a few months

By the way mate, you might want to look up the history books to see who Macleod bent over in the D1 premiership beating back in 1971....I believe it was Eltham....ha ha ha.....

Before dills like you and Lions12 give us the old "you will never win a game in division one" line, just cut us a bit of slack for what we have achieved. The club has won its first senior premiership in 38 years and it's been done on the back of a lot of bloody hard work. I am sure Slasher, Underbelly and others will elaborate more but I can tell you for a fact the club was on its knees in the mid-1990s...broke, getting thumped every week and rudderless off the field. Your comments are an insult to people like Derek Shaw, Slasher, Colla and many others who turned the place around in the late 1990s, weeded out the d...heads and made it the enjoyable club it is today. It wasn't rocket science – we affiliated with the junior club and not only did we get talented players, we got the right people to run the club.
We will celebrate for a week or so like any side that wins the flag and then we are going to roll up our sleeves and work even harder to ensure our move to division one is a successful one. If we can follow the lead of Greensborough and Lalor in recent years I believe we can make a fist of it. It's a massive challenge but I can assure you we are up for it.
One last thing – you say we will not win a game "with that team". You are seriously underestimating the talent, strength and character of people like Kane Shaw, Cathal Corr, Nick Lynch and several others who are in their early 20s and will be a part of our club for many years to come. Kane Shaw would rate with any captain in local footy and if you had watched him before, during and after the game yesty would appreciate what a great leader he is.
Anyway, we will be signing off from here very soon and heading to the division one thread!
Kane shaw is far from a division 1 leader. he is a front running sook. if he played at centre half back in division 1 he would be a laughing stock. easy on blokes half your size. macleod need a full back, centre half back, centre half forward, full forward and a good on baller to be competitive

I remember giving the Rooboys a caining after they lost 3 on the trot!!! at the end of last year, Im glad you have made me eat my words and congrats on breaking your grand final hoodoo's maybe all the bagging on here you all copped was all the kick in the arse you needed.. All the best in Divi 1 next year im sure you will win more than 1 game :)
How did number 5 go from the Rooboys yesturday?

Was fantastic played a true defenders game did not let too much get past him. Although Kane Shaw got BOG it was hard to pick anyone really outstanding as the whole team just played their role to a tee. Got to say Well Coached PUFF.

Was fantastic played a true defenders game did not let too much get past him. Although Kane Shaw got BOG it was hard to pick anyone really outstanding as the whole team just played their role to a tee. Got to say Well Coached PUFF.
well done to the Macleod boys, I am currently sitting under a tree at Bamaga Cape York, over looking the water thinking that life doesnt get much better... a massive congrats goes to Slasher, Dekka, Collar, Great white hope and all the others that have pulled the club from its knees to where it is now. I know the party was big, and is still going today, but everyone i have spoken to has said the same thing, the hard work starts now..
Well done to Puffa and from what i hear a big thanks goes to the bug for giving us a free hit with the win.
well i must sign off for now, there are fish to be caught..

GO MACLEOD

Whittlesea obviously had a game plan to kick against the wind and stack 3 loose defenders in their backline. Problem was that Macleod's defenders, especially Wattsy, kicked 2 goals on the run from the centre square.

15 minutes into the 1st quarter, Macleod were 1 goal 5 behinds, so it worked to some effect, but from there Macleod simply put on 7 more goals in the next 20 minutes and had to hope that Whittlesea wouldn't rake in the lead by half time.

They didn't - game over - monkey off the back !

Not sure what happened towards the end of the game with the crowd.
Someone got ko'd and ended up in the Macleod change rooms. Poor end to a great day.
A senior coach would never ever in a million years, kick against an 8 goal hurricane in a game, let alone a Grand Final, they must have lost the toss, it has to be a rumour!

A senior coach would never ever in a million years, kick against an 8 goal hurricane in a game, let alone a Grand Final, they must have lost the toss, it has to be a rumour!
I agree completely especially in a GF, but I do recall a conversation on 3AW last year when, I think Robert Walls & Tony Shaw STBC on that, discussed the merits of kicking against a gale. Logic was your team could go out with almost certaintly that they would be against the wing in the first and just play to do a shut down job. then have two quarters them selves with the wind. Interesting theory but I'd rather get the score on the board.

I agree completely especially in a GF, but I do recall a conversation on 3AW last year when, I think Robert Walls & Tony Shaw STBC on that, discussed the merits of kicking against a gale. Logic was your team could go out with almost certaintly that they would be against the wing in the first and just play to do a shut down job. then have two quarters them selves with the wind. Interesting theory but I'd rather get the score on the board.
Ok, you have an 8 goal gail blowing, so you go in with the plan to defend in the first quarter, what happens if the wind stops blowing in the second? You must kick with it and when you get to the last quarter and all players are out on their feet, thats the time to defend the leed and waste time and dictate the way the game is played, stack the bacl line ect. I cannot belive they won the toss!

Ok, you have an 8 goal gail blowing, so you go in with the plan to defend in the first quarter, what happens if the wind stops blowing in the second? You must kick with it and when you get to the last quarter and all players are out on their feet, thats the time to defend the leed and waste time and dictate the way the game is played, stack the bacl line ect. I cannot belive they won the toss!

I can tell you from a pretty good source even the umpire tossing the coin couldn't believe Whittlesea decided to kick against the wind. Ranks there with Nasser Hussain sending the Aussies in on a belter some years ago at the Gabba and Ricky Ponting sending the Poms in during the 2005 Ashes when Ooh-Ah Glenn McGrath injured himself in the warm-ups and couldn't play. Anyone got some others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back