Northern Football League Division 2 - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you from a pretty good source even the umpire tossing the coin couldn't believe Whittlesea decided to kick against the wind. Ranks there with Nasser Hussain sending the Aussies in on a belter some years ago at the Gabba and Ricky Ponting sending the Poms in during the 2005 Ashes when Ooh-Ah Glenn McGrath injured himself in the warm-ups and couldn't play. Anyone got some others?
Terry Wheeler coaching the Dogs at The Western Oval one sat, his friend who was a pro fisherman, informed Terry that the wind would get stronger by late arvo, Terry kicked against it and their was no wind to speak of for the rest of the game, it cost the dogs the match.

Well done to Macleod on a great season. Were the benchmark all season and were always going to be tough to beat once they got Lynch, Corr and Watts back, plus Ewart who didnt play finals last season. Cant believe they are getting potted bout next season. Let them enjoy the win that they have worked hard for. Im sure they are under no illusions as to the task ahead of them.

In regards to the Grand Final, Macleod clearly had the better side on paper. The query about them was any question marks that might be in the back of their heads because of previous years. The only chance Whittlesea had of winning was to get off to a good start and put Macleod under the pump and hope they might panic and go away from their normal game plan. Whittlesea had the perfect chance of doing this by winning the toss and it is staggering that they didnt take advantage of this opportunity. Not only were they 10 goals up at quarter time but it was 20 scoring shots to 1. I managed to see both huddles at quarter time and Macleod came in fired up and really positive. Whittlsea were flat, dejected and basically knew that after one quarter it was game over.

Macleod will need to recruit some bigger bodies to compete next season, but I reckon they have been setting themselves up for a crack at divi 1 for a while and have the connections to recruit some players that will make sure their stay in the top division is for longer than 1 season.

As for divi 2, you heard it here first - look out for the Bears in 2010!!!

Well done to Macleod on a great season. Were the benchmark all season and were always going to be tough to beat once they got Lynch, Corr and Watts back, plus Ewart who didnt play finals last season. Cant believe they are getting potted bout next season. Let them enjoy the win that they have worked hard for. Im sure they are under no illusions as to the task ahead of them.

In regards to the Grand Final, Macleod clearly had the better side on paper. The query about them was any question marks that might be in the back of their heads because of previous years. The only chance Whittlesea had of winning was to get off to a good start and put Macleod under the pump and hope they might panic and go away from their normal game plan. Whittlesea had the perfect chance of doing this by winning the toss and it is staggering that they didnt take advantage of this opportunity. Not only were they 10 goals up at quarter time but it was 20 scoring shots to 1. I managed to see both huddles at quarter time and Macleod came in fired up and really positive. Whittlsea were flat, dejected and basically knew that after one quarter it was game over.

Macleod will need to recruit some bigger bodies to compete next season, but I reckon they have been setting themselves up for a crack at divi 1 for a while and have the connections to recruit some players that will make sure their stay in the top division is for longer than 1 season.

As for divi 2, you heard it here first - look out for the Bears in 2010!!!

Matchwinner, I hear that the Bears have landed themselves a big name from a Div 1 club (that is still in the finals) for next season, possibly captaining the club next season. Any truth???

I can tell you from a pretty good source even the umpire tossing the coin couldn't believe Whittlesea decided to kick against the wind. Ranks there with Nasser Hussain sending the Aussies in on a belter some years ago at the Gabba and Ricky Ponting sending the Poms in during the 2005 Ashes when Ooh-Ah Glenn McGrath injured himself in the warm-ups and couldn't play. Anyone got some others?
I must admit I missed seeing the actual toss but when I looked up the Whit. captain had already taken off and Kane Shaw was standing pointing to the Bruce Street end as if he was still making sure that was right. So it did seem as if Whit. won the toss & their captain pointed to the Cramer street end & just took off.

I can tell you from a pretty good source even the umpire tossing the coin couldn't believe Whittlesea decided to kick against the wind.

I tossed the coin, the MacLeod Captain called "heads" and the coin came up tails. Then followed a long pause from the Whittlesea captain, before choosing to go into the wind. I reckon it's the sort of toss that you'd actually want to lose... If you decide to go with the wind and kick 1 goal 15 behinds, it stings...

We were all thinking on the ground after 10 minutes when only 1 goal had been scored that he had made the right call - they were bottling the play up well... Even when it was 4 goals to 1, it still looked the correct choice. They probably didn't expect 21 minutes of time on to be applied...

It sure does rate up there as one of the dumbest things I have heard of, Peter Flogden would have over done the thinking as usual instead of thinking maybe we should win the toss and get on top in the first quarter and dictate the game from then on! Very interesting one! Surely his time at Whittlesea is up? What does everyone else think?

I remember Macleod being ahead at half time....but if you want to take practice match form as the measuring stick.....

Oh who cares - we got silverware. I'm gonna lap it up for a few months

By the way mate, you might want to look up the history books to see who Macleod bent over in the D1 premiership beating back in 1971....I believe it was Eltham....ha ha ha.....

saying i remember macleod being up at half time is like saying i remember when jayden leskie was alive....total and utter garbage. eltham won and jaydens 6 feet under.

saying i remember macleod being up at half time is like saying i remember when jayden leskie was alive....total and utter garbage. eltham won and jaydens 6 feet under.

No wonder you are called ontheprowl, what an absolute dog of a person. get a life loser apart from lifting your leg on each tree you pass.

It sure does rate up there as one of the dumbest things I have heard of, Peter Flogden would have over done the thinking as usual instead of thinking maybe we should win the toss and get on top in the first quarter and dictate the game from then on! Very interesting one! Surely his time at Whittlesea is up? What does everyone else think?

You are a flog.

One from left field...

Congratulations to the Macleod FC. I get the impression those behind the club have worked tirelessly for a long period of time to get where they are now and Saturday was a deserving reward.

I know the Heidelberg people are looking forward to establishing a local rivalry for (hopefully) many years to come.

See you in 2010 :thumbsu:

They probably didn't expect 21 minutes of time on to be applied...[/quote]

Does anyone know why the first qtr went for more than 40minutes..i can't recall anyone being taken off nor a loss of the ball. Did the time keeper go to sleep?

They probably didn't expect 21 minutes of time on to be applied...

Does anyone know why the first qtr went for more than 40minutes..i can't recall anyone being taken off nor a loss of the ball. Did the time keeper go to sleep?[/quote]

Macleod kicked 8 goals 10 behinds and many of those balls had to be fetched, thus the reason for time on.

Most of the quarters went for at least 35 minutes. When you consider that the final siren didn't ring until 5:15pm and we got under way at 2:15pm, that's a long day at the office...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're a knobhead - Don't bring up practice match crap to blow up your own ego. What Macleod has achieved this year is nothing short of fantastic and the boys should be very proud to bring the D2 flag to
de Winton Park . We are under no disillusion as to what to expect come D1 and there is a bit of work to do.

One things for sure, the yearly goals were achieved by this team and they have the right coaching & committee support to start next year on the right foot.

All eltham can boast this year are the best burgers in the NFL bar none :thumbsu:

Thank christ we had the ground redeveloped this year - that would have been embarrassing to host D1 teams.

I think that you hold a bitter grudge on Pete Bugden. Three posts in 2 years all referring to what a joke The Bug is. Jealousy is certainly not a virtue. Obviously your record is not as impressive at Pete's. The Bugs record even outshines his fat pig , ex overrated AFL player that does't like anyone, unsociable, sook of a cousin!
Get a life sourpuss.

Does anyone know why the first qtr went for more than 40minutes..i can't recall anyone being taken off nor a loss of the ball. Did the time keeper go to sleep?

Macleod kicked 8 goals 10 behinds and many of those balls had to be fetched, thus the reason for time on.[/quote]
Exactly,does anyone know if Whittlesea have admitted they stuffed up on the toss or are they defending the decision to kick against the wind?

Macleod kicked 8 goals 10 behinds and many of those balls had to be fetched, thus the reason for time on.
Exactly,does anyone know if Whittlesea have admitted they stuffed up on the toss or are they defending the decision to kick against the wind?[/quote]

Dont know. Ask your mate to ask his fairy floss son.
He might know. He would have made a difference NOT. Enough pansies already thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back