Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really footy related, but our 'excitement' last night was proximity to a fire that generated 'leave now' for our closest town, and while just outside the evacuation area, we were sitting packed and ready to go until a downgraded advice at 2am.

Not an experience I recommend, but served as confirmation our evacuation plan and everyone's reactions and responses are co-ordinated.

Hope everyone else impacted by fire or storm is safe.

Not really footy related, but our 'excitement' last night was proximity to a fire that generated 'leave now' for our closest town, and while just outside the evacuation area, we were sitting packed and ready to go until a downgraded advice at 2am.

Not an experience I recommend, but served as confirmation our evacuation plan and everyone's reactions and responses are co-ordinated.

Hope everyone else impacted by fire or storm is safe.
Halls Gap?

Is “Dale’ a suffix that means “fire prone “ in Latin or something?

( Glad you got through ok. I see some homes were lost and five firefighters were injured in the Pomonal fire yesterday )

Yep. Baileydale will be on fire this year! 🔥 🙂

Sad that Pomonal copped it yesterday, but makes me think what would happen if a fire got into a town like Smythesdale of just over 1,000 people.

Is “Dale’ a suffix that means “fire prone “ in Latin or something?

( Glad you got through ok. I see some homes were lost and five firefighters were injured in the Pomonal fire yesterday )
From Google:

Dale comes from the Old English word for "valley," dæl. Definitions of dale. an open river valley (in a hilly area) type of: vale, valley. a long depression in the surface of the land that usually contains a river.

Could have been the Smythe family's land in a valley.
A river or creek known as Scar, in a valley, would be combined.
(Just guessing, but likely I think, back in the day.)

It's probably a looser term these days, particularly in Australia, just sounds nice.

From Google:

Dale comes from the Old English word for "valley," dæl. Definitions of dale. an open river valley (in a hilly area) type of: vale, valley. a long depression in the surface of the land that usually contains a river.

Could have been the Smythe family's land in a valley.
A river or creek known as Scar, in a valley, would be combined.
(Just guessing, but likely I think, back in the day.)

It's probably a looser term these days, particularly in Australia, just sounds nice.
Your speculation is probably right but more likely to have occurred centuries ago in England. Most older placenames are copies of placenames in the British Isles and Ireland.

Your speculation is probably right but more likely to have occurred centuries ago in England. Most older placenames are copies of placenames in the British Isles and Ireland.
Yes, that’s why you probably wouldn’t apply it to Australia, generally. Although of course many places are named for many reasons, including the topography.

Vice captain Libba and Liam Jones in the leadership group.

Imagine telling supporters that in 2014…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw a great play, Dear England on National Theatre Live.

It's the story of Gareth Southgate as manager of the England football team.
Do yourself a favour and go see it. Unfortunately from a quick browse it may have already finished at Palace Cinemas in Melbourne. :( So you might have to look hard. For those in Canberra I think there are still a few screenings left at Palace Electric.

Why see it?

Throughout it I kept thinking of Bevo in 2015-2016. There are just so many parallels including the original shortcomings as a player, the high EQ, the staunch loyalty and support for his players and thinking outside the square. It's almost like Southgate was taking a leaf out of Bevo's book. He even told his charges they were "storytellers" and they should get out there and "tell their story".

Fans of English football will love it. But you don't even have to be a football fan. Apart from the Bevo parallels it's just a great script with excellent direction and set, plus brilliant acting - from Southgate lookalike Joseph Fiennes in particular. It has great messages about leadership, self-belief, teamwork, handling impossible expectation (and loss), personal redemption and simply performing under pressure in sport ... or indeed in any walk of life.

Oh, and even a few bars of "Sweet Caroline". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Whats the go with the guy on woof. Great website, with training reports etc, but he hides it because i didn't post enough. Not everyone has the time to dribble all day on a forum. Haha
I’ve been on the site a couple of times recently and tried to register but get a “ the administrator has disabled registration at this time” message. I can’t figure out how he knows it’s me every time.

I’ve been on the site a couple of times recently and tried to register but get a “ the administrator has disabled registration at this time” message. I can’t figure out how he knows it’s me every time.
Try sending him a PM on the site.

Anyone got some restaurant recommendations for Sydney cbd?

I haven't been to Sydney (except the airport while in transit) in more than 15 years, but… about 20 years ago I went to an awesome Chinese restaurant in Pitt street, Mother Chu's. I just looked it up and it still exists! (All-vegetarian though, so maybe not everyone's cup of tea.)

Anyway I didn't come into this thread to post that, but instead to ask: Am I mis-understanding something about our fixture, or are our first three games really scheduled to start at midday? If so… WTF?

I haven't been to Sydney (except the airport while in transit) in more than 15 years, but… about 20 years ago I went to an awesome Chinese restaurant in Pitt street, Mother Chu's. I just looked it up and it still exists! (All-vegetarian though, so maybe not everyone's cup of tea.)

Anyway I didn't come into this thread to post that, but instead to ask: Am I mis-understanding something about our fixture, or are our first three games really scheduled to start at midday? If so… WTF?
They all start at 1pm

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back