NRL Finals Fail To Make OzTam Top 20

Remove this Banner Ad

robbieando said:
You clearly haven't been to Southern NSW then have you?????
Never.

But my understanding is that some NSW southern towns have a strong Aussie Rules following bcoz they are traditionally/culturally bound to Victoria and are now better able to receive the Melbourne tv reception than Sydney.

My understanding is also that other Southern NSW towns have a strong AR following, but that RL is still market leader, eg Wagga Wagga.

My guess is that since NSW/QLD adds up to about 52% of the population, when you minus the southern NSW towns who are culturally bound to Victoria, then it's probably about 50/50 split in heartland.

At the end of the day, my understanding is that it's not proper to refer to southern NSW as AFL heartland, but that the towns down there are often split in allegiance.

littleduck said:
I can spin any set of 'facts'. It's still in dispute whether your figures are 'fact'.

Well the TV networks regard them as facts and certainly the The Executioner who is from League Unlimited did when he used the same service in regards to a post early in this thread.

That's not the issue, it's about all your other figures just appearing so far wrong it's not funny.

The please point out what figure that I posted that are wrong.

Eg. 500k is the size of Vic country??

I didn't claim Country Victoria was 500k pcpp did, I know that is wrong and pointed that out.

Qld country I could understand a good audience coz of the Lions,

280k in Country Qld

but NSW country watching in massive numbers?... intuitively wrong!

How so????? Maybe people in Country NSW watch the AFL GF because its an event. In Southern NSW they certainly do and the figure of 206k watching in Southern NSW IS about right for what one would expect. The fact the NRL GF rated only 373k can be put down to the fact that part of NSW is part of AFL's heartland with the further North you go the more pro-League towns there are.

200k in Northern NSW is a surprise no doubt about that.

Didn't you read the numerous articles claiming the NRL GF rated higher?

I did, but they never provide figures that I can recall and most were written by News Limited based League writters. I certainly saw a few "AFL GF rated higher" articles as well.

In any case this isn't about who rated higher, because regardless both codes would be more than happy with the result. I just wanted to put the figures I found last night out there so we can have some sort of "truth" when the topic of ratings come up. Esp when regional ratings are brought up.

This season both the AFL and the NRL's ratings have gone up, so I think regardless of who rates better. Its pretty much neck and neck and both codes would be more than happy.

littleduck said:
Never.

But my understanding is that some NSW southern towns have a strong Aussie Rules following bcoz they are traditionally/culturally bound to Victoria and are now better able to receive the Melbourne tv reception than Sydney.

My understanding is also that other Southern NSW towns have a strong AR following, but that RL is still market leader, eg Wagga Wagga.

Most towns South of Wagga are AFL towns with a handful of towns that are NRL towns. It has nothing to do with TV reception because most of these towns have Aussie Rules teams dating back to before the introducion of TV into Australia in 1956. Also take into account that Broken Hill and is an AFL town as well.

My guess is that since NSW/QLD adds up to about 52% of the population, when you minus the southern NSW towns who are culturally bound to Victoria, then it's probably about 50/50 split in heartland.

I'm happy to agree to an even split, however don't forget when you add in Unions impact in NSW/Qld (no matter how small it might be) the split might become 50/48/2.

At the end of the day, my understanding is that it's not proper to refer to southern NSW as AFL heartland, but that the towns down there are often split in allegiance.

The further North you go towards Wagga, the split starts to happen, but most towns are in favour of AFL before NRL so it becomes AFL heartland. Wagga really is the first town to be split right down the middle, though there are plenty of League clubs in the South's bigger towns.

Yes there's a fair bit of overlap in southern NSW so it's not always easy to tell- plenty of people follow both and some even play both! Some clubs in the southern part of the state also play in northern Victoria comps.

littleduck said:
If the AFL GF rates higher in any given year once regionals are included then so be it, congratulations. That's not the issue, it's about all your other figures just appearing so far wrong it's not funny. Eg. 500k is the size of Vic country?? Eg. 1 mil east coast audience for the AFL GF with only 500k Vic audience? If it's true, the AFL GF rated massively in NSW/QLD country. Qld country I could understand a good audience coz of the Lions, but NSW country watching in massive numbers?... intuitively wrong!
i am stumped that you believe the 500k country Vic figure - want to explain why you swallow that and not the ATR figures?

otherwise it sounds like a classic case of believing what you want to believe, despite facts to the contrary.

You harp on about how oztam doesnt include regional figures, yet when confronted with these you dismiss them because they dont suit your argument :confused:

dr nick said:
i am stumped that you believe the 500k country Vic figure - want to explain why you swallow that and not the ATR figures?
i consider the 500k figure as a gee up and dont believe it.

Classic case of believing what you want to believe, despite facts to the contrary.
i'm disputing the alleged facts above. in particular, i'm disputing the 1 mil vs 1.4 mil regional audience for AFL GF and NRL GF. it doesnt feel right.

You harp on about how oztam doesnt include regional figures, yet when confronted with the facts you dismiss them.
only bcoz they don't feel right. others must be getting the same gut instinct surely?

and oztam figures are only challenged when AFL types think they represent the whole country.

screw the ratings, the bloke who runs channel nine sports said "Rugby League is our top sport " everyone knows nine rule when it comes to free to air.

as for Australia and the Pacific,if you give the ppl of PNG t.v each, (you can garrantee that %100 will have their t.v on NRL.Remember 1 thing, PNG has a population as big as New Zealand )Then think of other countries around the south pacific who are just as religious about their RUGBY LEAGUE. :eek:

dr nick said:
lol... it doesn't "feel" right :D

doesnt suit your argument?

FYI - another fact from the 2001 census - depending on whether it suits your argument will you believe a census - regional Vic has a population of 1.5 mill.

I'll believe the Graph

graph-coverage1.gif

A cookie to the person who figures out what's wrong with this graph, and what implication it could have on both Oztams and ATR's ratings.

dr nick said:
ammm.... DIARY is not a state??

adds up to more than 21mill??

the bit i checked with the last census (regional vic) doesnt equal regional vic in the graph?? (oztam goes well beyond the boundaries of metro tho)
:D

It's the potential audiences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dr nick said:
lol... it doesn't "feel" right :D
No it doesnt.

doesnt suit your argument?
I havent got an argument?

FYI - another fact from the 2001 census - depending on whether it suits your argument will you believe a census - regional Vic has a population of 1.5 mill.
That's waht I suspected... certainly more than 500k!!

littleduck said:
AFL has no obvious market o/s, whereas RL has a well established RL market in the UK and a sizable & growing audience in NZ due to the Warriors. The AFL has none. As for the rest of the world (apart from PNG), let's just call it a draw.

The AFL SELLS its GF live around the the world . THAT is the market .The market is the people prepared to pay to watch the telecast .The number of viewers who actually follow the code is irrelevant except from a developemental point of view . By your logic the RL ratings around Australia mean nothing in the AFL states because RL isn't payed significantly there . And by the same token the RL ratings mean nothing in NZ because it's by far a RU country .UK is overwelhmingly soccer , then RU .

cos789 said:
The AFL SELLS its GF live around the the world .
So do all codes.

THAT is the market .The market is the people prepared to pay to watch the telecast .
Yeah the world is a potential market, but those watch don't necessarily pay directly.

The number of viewers who actually follow the code is irrelevant except from a developemental point of view.

By your logic the RL ratings around Australia mean nothing in the AFL states because RL isn't payed significantly there .
I agree with respect to SA & WA, bcoz I don't believe they should be realistic expansion targets in future. Victoria is the exception.

And by the same token the RL ratings mean nothing in NZ because it's by far a RU country .
NZ has an NRL presence via the Warriors and possibly a future Wellington side. It's most certainly relevant.

UK is overwelhmingly soccer , then RU .
But has a quality domestic RL comp.

littleduck said:
So do all codes.

Great . So we're talking GF ratings and you've expanded it to include NZ and I said why not include the world .My point again , is that the AFL GF severely outrates the NRL GF globally.

The presence or not of a domestic competition and it's due relevence is another issue .

cos789 said:
Great . So we're talking GF ratings and you've expanded it to include NZ and I said why not include the world .My point again , is that the AFL GF severely outrates the NRL GF globally.

The presence or not of a domestic competition and it's due relevence is another issue .

The problem is, where is the proof that the AFL GF outrates the NRL GF globally?

For a sport that is only really played in one major country (and Nauru), I doubt many would be willing to pay a respectable amount of money for the AFL GF rights and show it where it would get ratings.

I'm not saying that the NRL GF would rate very well worldwide either but would certainly have a bigger audience reach.

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL Finals Fail To Make OzTam Top 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back