NRL Finals Fail To Make OzTam Top 20

Remove this Banner Ad

littleduck said:
I don't think so, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Well the map above from dr nick shows the area Brisbane's Metro Ratings cover and if you look real close at the shaded area that area extends from Noosa in the North to the NSW Border in the South and half way between Toowoomba and Ipswich in the West.

pcpp said:
The problem is, where is the proof that the AFL GF outrates the NRL GF globally?

For a sport that is only really played in one major country (and Nauru), I doubt many would be willing to pay a respectable amount of money for the AFL GF rights and show it where it would get ratings.

I'm not saying that the NRL GF would rate very well worldwide either but would certainly have a bigger audience reach.

Firstly the AFL GF has been broadcast live O/S for a very long time .(At least 20 years ) They used to list the countries in the commentaries .

Secondly there are a geat number of countries that finished above Nauru in the International Cup .

Thirdly just because there is good domestic competition as in England and NZ doesn't automatically mean a ratings killing .

For example , American Football has a stronger domestic league in Perth than the WARL . That doesn't mean more people watch the NFL broadcast than the NRL broadcast .And if they did that wouldn't mean more people were interested in NFL than NRL in Perth .

cos789 said:
Firstly the AFL GF has been broadcast live O/S for a very long time .(At least 20 years ) They used to list the countries in the commentaries .

Do they still have a countries list and the ratings?

Thirdly just because there is good domestic competition as in England and NZ doesn't automatically mean a ratings killing

Perhaps, but I'd highly doubt it'd rate well.

For example , American Football has a stronger domestic league in Perth than the WARL . That doesn't mean more people watch the NFL broadcast than the NRL broadcast .And if they did that wouldn't mean more people were interested in NFL than NRL in Perth .

American Football doesn't equal NFL. The NFL may be the largest competition of American football, but it doesn't mean that people who are interested in the domestic league is automatically interested with the NFL.

pcpp said:
Do they still have a countries list and the ratings?

It's like the Super Bowl ,gets bigger and better each year , but it's still a one off event .

pcpp said:
Perhaps, but I'd highly doubt it'd rate well.

highly doubt the AFL or the NRL GF would rate well ,because there is a reasonable domestic competition ?

pcpp said:
American Football doesn't equal NFL. The NFL may be the largest competition of American football, but it doesn't mean that people who are interested in the domestic league is automatically interested with the NFL.

Are you trying to say that people who are interested in the domestic RL in the UK aren't automatically interested in the NRL .
Because that is the exact parrallel .

cos789 said:
My point again , is that the AFL GF severely outrates the NRL GF globally.
Get your hand off it.. unless you can mount a reasonable argument about why that might be. I'm suggesting that the NRL GF rates higher around the world than the AFL GF because there are other established RL markets.

The presence or not of a domestic competition and it's due relevence is another issue .
It simply means there is an established RL market that's all. Plenty of Aussies watch the UK SL GF, and plenty of Poms watch the NRL GF. After all, they often end up competing against each other at years end.

littleduck said:
Back to Oztam for a second, and you'll find that the regional networks like NBN, WIN etc covering the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast, ie nothing to do with 7 9 & 10 at Mt Cootha.
I've explained this before. When they cover the same thing, oztam adds us all these areas in their 'metro' figures.

Even when different programs are broadcast (like 6pm news) they still are added up under the one title of 6pm news.

Fact is, when you read about Brisbane ratings from oztam, it includes all of the coloured regions.

littleduck unless you can mount a reasonable argument about why that might be. I'm suggesting that the NRL GF rates higher around the world than the AFL GF because there are other established RL markets. .[/QUOTE said:
Again it's got nothing to do who does what in domestic competition .
The AFL(before that the VFL) has been beamed for decades to a large number of countries around the world .This has nothing to do with the number of people who follow Australian Football . It's just an anual event that has become popular , like the Melbourne Cup . basically the world is fascinated by the fact that historically so many Australians (in such a small countries) turn up for these iconic events .
Again , the Superbowl is watched by an incredible audience worldwide and only an extremely small percentage of the viewers actually follows , let alone plays American football .
Now quite rightly , in England there would be a substantial number of RL followers who watch the NRL GF ,but I would hazard a guess to say that there a lot more that have no real RL connection .The fact is England and NZ are just 2 amongst many countries who subscribe to the world's apetite for world events .

From today's Courier-Mail:

"Viewers turned of by loss

by Jennifer Dudley

The AFL grand final didn't just hurt the fans - it hurt the TV ratings.

The first grand final to feature non-Victorian teams drew a reduced national audience of 2.8 million on Saturday - down from 3 million last year.

Brisbane AFL fans appeared to be less engaged even though the Lions made it through to their forth grand final, with 84,878 fewer viewers turning to Channel 10 than last year.

But the match audience of 490,300 was enough to place the match in the top spot for the week.

In the other football code, the North Queensland Cowboy's narrow loss to Sydney roosters on Sunday drew the highest Brisbane ratings for an NRL preliiminary final in the past two years. More than 463,800 tuned in to make the match the most watched program of the night...
"

dr nick said:
I've explained this before. When they cover the same thing, oztam adds us all these areas in their 'metro' figures.

Even when different programs are broadcast (like 6pm news) they still are added up under the one title of 6pm news.

Fact is, when you read about Brisbane ratings from oztam, it includes all of the coloured regions.

As if. How could they possibly include them all?

The Ten Queensland ratings for the AFL GF were 200,000 and Brisbane;s ratings were 490,000. If we were to believe you then only 290,000 people in Brisbane watched the GF.

The Executioner said:
As if. How could they possibly include them all?

The Ten Queensland ratings for the AFL GF were 200,000 and Brisbane;s ratings were 490,000. If we were to believe you then only 290,000 people in Brisbane watched the GF.
Firstly what is this 200k you are referring to. Source?

Secondly - the 490k is for all the coloured regions, which go down as "Brisbane" figures. Did you even look at the map?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the Oztam map for Brisbane they list Tweed Heads as part of it.

No Queensland channel has the rights for that area and is why prime GC and SC Ten had to put their times back into Queeensland times a few years ago as they were breaching certain rules.

From ELA on the LU site. Here is a breakdown of the city & regional viewing figures for the AFL for the last two years

Metropolitan regions
2003 2004
Syd 352,200 313,000 Down 11%
Melb 1,324,700 1,213,000 Down 8%
Bris 575,200 490,000 Down 14%
Adel 329,700 431,000 Up 30%
Perth 383,700 349,000 Down 9%
2,965,500 2,796,000

Regional
2003 2004
QLD 280,617 205,000 Down 27%
NNSW 200,412 160,000 Down 20%
SNSW 206,112 175,000 Down 15%
VIC 358,282 298,000 Down 17%
TAS 189,389 130,000 Down 30%
1,234,812 968,000[/quote]

Tolal audience
2003:4,200,312
2004: 3,764,000

The Executioner said:
According to the Oztam map for Brisbane they list Tweed Heads as part of it.

No Queensland channel has the rights for that area and is why prime GC and SC Ten had to put their times back into Queeensland times a few years ago as they were breaching certain rules.
Oztam includes those areas in the "Brisbane" figure. I've seen one of those $300 reports with every stat you could imagine, and the total audience is the sum of all those areas - including near tweed heads. I dont think it quite goes to TH - which is adjacent to the Qld border.

russ13 said:
From ELA on the LU site. Here is a breakdown of the city & regional viewing figures for the AFL for the last two years

Metropolitan regions
2003 2004
QLD 280,617 205,000 Down 27%
NNSW 200,412 160,000 Down 20%
SNSW 206,112 175,000 Down 15%
VIC 358,282 298,000 Down 17%
TAS 189,389 130,000 Down 30%
1,234,812 968,000

Tolal audience
2003:4,200,312
2004: 3,764,000[/QUOTE]

Were there WA/SA/NT figures? - probably good for littleducks thread on comparing eastern australia between the two.

This matter about regional & rural SA/WA & NT has been done to death a number of times. The population in rural SA/Wa biggest town is about 20,000. So it's not all that relevant to aggregates as far as the ratings is concerned.

However, the AFL final did reasonably well in the bush in Queensland & NSW. This is the first time I have seen them win there over a RL game.http://www.atraustralia.com.au/docs/reports/weeklys/regional/top20/regtop20040919.pdf

Game a ratings winner
By RAY ANDERSEN
29sep04

THE popularity of the North Queensland Cowboys has translated into ratings success for WIN Television during the National Rugby League finals.
After the Cowboys-Broncos semi-final at Dairy Farmers Stadium on September 18 dominated its timeslot, coverage of the Cowboys-Roosters preliminary final on Sunday achieved unprecedented ratings.
The live coverage of Sunday's game attracted an average of 328,612 viewers across regional Queensland, including an amazing 100 per cent peak audience share in Townsville.
The Roosters' 19-16 win over the Cowboys commanded an 83 per cent share of viewers in the 3.45pm to 5.30pm timeslot, 74.6 points above the next best network.
In Townsville, the match attracted an average 91.5 per cent share of the audience, peaking at 100 per cent at 5.30pm.
The figures meant an average of 71,632 viewers and a peak of 84,093 in the Townsville area, which extends from Ingham to the Burdekin and west to Charters Towers, watched the game.
WIN Queensland general manager Rod Hockey said the figures were outstanding.
"I've never ever seen ratings like it," Mr Hockey said yesterday."To have an entire audience in one hit is phenomenal."
The match also dominated ratings in other regional Queensland centres.
Cairns had 73,462 viewers at 5.30pm, Mackay 44,110 at 5.15pm, Rockhampton 37,046 at 5pm, Maryborough 115,299 at 5.15pm and Toowoomba 34,529 at 5.30pm, while more than 463,800 turned on in Brisbane.
The ratings success of the Cowboys over the finals series is expected to strengthen WIN's push for Cowboys matches to be shown by the network next season.
WIN will show a 30-minute program, Toyota Cowboys 10th Anniversary Special, from 5.30pm on Saturday.
Townsville bulletin

Beaussie said:
What must be of real concern to the NRL is the fact that the NRL finals once again failed to make the Top 20.

I doubt the NRL are worried the games didn't rate in Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth given what time they were shown.

Bottom line for those of us who live in cities where the game is treated like a lepper is, to get Pay tv.

Beaussie said:
This week, as expected this time of year, the AFL GF comes in at No.1 in the OzTam Top 20. What must be of real concern to the NRL is the fact that the NRL finals once again failed to make the Top 20.

Even the AFL GF Pre-Match Entertainment came in at 10th. :D

http://www.oztam.com.au/downloads/pdfs/latest/e_20040919.pdf

Surprise, surprise!

Both NRL finals were shown live only in two rating capital cities.

The NRL will never beat the AFL in ratings unless it's shown live across Australia.

pcpp said:
Surprise, surprise!

Both NRL finals were shown live only in two rating capital cities.

The NRL will never beat the AFL in ratings unless it's shown live across Australia.
Yeah, but the NRL & AFL don't compete nationally. The NRL is market leader across the markets in which it competes... see my thread ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

NRL Finals Fail To Make OzTam Top 20

Remove this Banner Ad

Back