O and M 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Ednie was very rough not to get in Yarras best

Also thought Joel Smith was good, didn't get a mountain of it but he beat Bush convincingly every time the ball went near them.
Stats seem to suggest that Smith was kickless after half time would of thought Bush had the better of the match up , even Border Mail had same opinion Bush 7/10 Smith 3/10.I must have been at a different game.

2011 done and dusted-Well done to the Tigers.
What of 2012-Albury will start red hot favourites retaining basically everyone except Lloyd Shepherd who's partner looks like moving to Sydney with work.All the older guys will go again.Stevens has rang everyone he has ever coached so should recruit some young talent-their issue may be with a young strong reserves list;both Under 16's sides playing off and their Under 18's playing finals how will these kids get an opportunity with minimal departures?A juggling act for them but a good problem to have.
Yarra-Unsure who will stay or go but generally does have a turnover of players.Travellers from Melbourne and McMillan from Frankston i believe may influence their list.Reserves won it and with ready made guys like Cummins running around won't fall away too much.Issue may be Trippy selling Sportsbet so their funds may dry up a fair bit.
Lavington-Would imagine they would keep most of their list.Saker will fill a hole in defence.Their positioning will depend on the continued improvement of their younger boys and how many they can recruit.Don't have anywhere near the coin of the top two so will have to be smart.
Raiders-Throwing huge money at some VFL guys-Ben Davies from Williamstown (100 game player) over the line.Dave Stretton is another.Need to retain Myers and continue improving their kids.Finalists again.
Wang Magpies-Revise their game plan and play a bit more direct for starters.Jamie Allen recommitting is huge but if they loose the Whelan's;Newton gone with a knee and if travellers such as Morgan don't resign could be the big sliders.
Nth Albury-Done well to resign McDonald as there were country clubs after him left,right and centre.He in turn reatind Brown;Price;Popko etc.Apparently have a Full Forward signed which will ease Leslie's pressure.Myors and McAdam weren't stars but gave them leg speed which they will miss.
Corowa-Big improvers as coach has them united and working in the same direction.If the jungle drums are correct have a couple of ex players returning.
Myrtleford.Depth is always going to be their issue.Look at the top sides this year-one common donominator is there reserves are all strong and finalists.Their last 5 or 6 are always the issue and if they pay coin for them like in the past they bottom out again after it.
Rovers-Rebuilding
Wodonga-As above
Anyone else with rumour and innuendo?

2011 done and dusted-Well done to the Tigers.
What of 2012-Albury will start red hot favourites retaining basically everyone except Lloyd Shepherd who's partner looks like moving to Sydney with work.All the older guys will go again.Stevens has rang everyone he has ever coached so should recruit some young talent-their issue may be with a young strong reserves list;both Under 16's sides playing off and their Under 18's playing finals how will these kids get an opportunity with minimal departures?A juggling act for them but a good problem to have.
Yarra-Unsure who will stay or go but generally does have a turnover of players.Travellers from Melbourne and McMillan from Frankston i believe may influence their list.Reserves won it and with ready made guys like Cummins running around won't fall away too much.Issue may be Trippy selling Sportsbet so their funds may dry up a fair bit.
Lavington-Would imagine they would keep most of their list.Saker will fill a hole in defence.Their positioning will depend on the continued improvement of their younger boys and how many they can recruit.Don't have anywhere near the coin of the top two so will have to be smart.
Raiders-Throwing huge money at some VFL guys-Ben Davies from Williamstown (100 game player) over the line.Dave Stretton is another.Need to retain Myers and continue improving their kids.Finalists again.
Wang Magpies-Revise their game plan and play a bit more direct for starters.Jamie Allen recommitting is huge but if they loose the Whelan's;Newton gone with a knee and if travellers such as Morgan don't resign could be the big sliders.
Nth Albury-Done well to resign McDonald as there were country clubs after him left,right and centre.He in turn reatind Brown;Price;Popko etc.Apparently have a Full Forward signed which will ease Leslie's pressure.Myors and McAdam weren't stars but gave them leg speed which they will miss.
Corowa-Big improvers as coach has them united and working in the same direction.If the jungle drums are correct have a couple of ex players returning.
Myrtleford.Depth is always going to be their issue.Look at the top sides this year-one common donominator is there reserves are all strong and finalists.Their last 5 or 6 are always the issue and if they pay coin for them like in the past they bottom out again after it.
Rovers-Rebuilding
Wodonga-As above
Anyone else with rumour and innuendo?

There's talk of Carroll, Bush & Carey all heading off but wouldn't be surprised if they stayed on, Carey has to be doubtful given his knees are shot, hear he's considering another op to get him through next season, only has to play 8-10 games for the year to have an impact.

Here Joss is pulling back a bit from the Tigers and throwing money at Albury Thunder to help them get across the line.

There's talk of Carroll, Bush & Carey all heading off but wouldn't be surprised if they stayed on, Carey has to be doubtful given his knees are shot, hear he's considering another op to get him through next season, only has to play 8-10 games for the year to have an impact.

Here Joss is pulling back a bit from the Tigers and throwing money at Albury Thunder to help them get across the line.

Thx 4 that whereitallbegan, and ive also heard carey might be heading to beechworth?? anyone heard that same rumour??

Hey guys , as an ex O and M player, now living in QLD, can someone tell me why the decline in the standard of the league over the past 20 years. The GVL is now the premier country league and had some 12000 people at last years grand final from all reports, and will most likely get this again this year.Where the crowd at this years and last year so I believe was around 8000 at the O and M grand finals.Whats happened to the days of 10000 to 14000 grand final attendances.Yet I see the minor leagues getting 2500 to 4000 at their grand finals, where as 10 to 20 years ago they would be lucky 2 get 2000 at the grand final.Have the minor leagues improved in standard so much ,that effects the standard of the o and m,by way of money,drawing fringe players away from the o and m, weakening the depth of clubs.
would like to hear your thoughts.

Hey guys , as an ex O and M player, now living in QLD, can someone tell me why the decline in the standard of the league over the past 20 years. The GVL is now the premier country league and had some 12000 people at last years grand final from all reports, and will most likely get this again this year.Where the crowd at this years and last year so I believe was around 8000 at the O and M grand finals.Whats happened to the days of 10000 to 14000 grand final attendances.Yet I see the minor leagues getting 2500 to 4000 at their grand finals, where as 10 to 20 years ago they would be lucky 2 get 2000 at the grand final.Have the minor leagues improved in standard so much ,that effects the standard of the o and m,by way of money,drawing fringe players away from the o and m, weakening the depth of clubs.
would like to hear your thoughts.

The money in some of the other bush leagues has increased greatly, and players are being drawn out of the league with $$$$. Whether they be experienced players with families to look after, or young guns who see the $$$ and cant refuse, players have been moving on for years now. Seems as though the priviledge of playing in the strongest comp in the region (which it still has claims to) doesnt matter to many anymore.

As for crowd numbers, there are probably a few factors for the decline in crowd numbers:
1) Albury and Yarra playing each other for the third year in a row has caused a lack of interest among supporters of other clubs, coupled with the fact it was also Albury v Yarra in the 2's, and both had netball sides in GF's. So that leaves the supporters of only 2 clubs being there for the bulk of the 6 GF's played on the day.
2) GF remains on a Sunday, not a huge problem but there are a lot of people who go for the social outing of having a few beverages and many may prefer to do so at the Tallangatta League GF which was played on the Saturday beforehand (which included Thurgoona).
3) Have heard some still whinge about the price, but to be honest dont think some of these would have even ventured out given free entry.
4) The standard is not the same as it used to be. Home and away numbers have dropped due to supporter bases getting smaller, therefore the atmosphere is next to nothing compared to some Bush league games with families running around and the cars lining the oval.

The money in some of the other bush leagues has increased greatly, and players are being drawn out of the league with $$$$. Whether they be experienced players with families to look after, or young guns who see the $$$ and cant refuse, players have been moving on for years now. Seems as though the priviledge of playing in the strongest comp in the region (which it still has claims to) doesnt matter to many anymore.

As for crowd numbers, there are probably a few factors for the decline in crowd numbers:
1) Albury and Yarra playing each other for the third year in a row has caused a lack of interest among supporters of other clubs, coupled with the fact it was also Albury v Yarra in the 2's, and both had netball sides in GF's. So that leaves the supporters of only 2 clubs being there for the bulk of the 6 GF's played on the day.
2) GF remains on a Sunday, not a huge problem but there are a lot of people who go for the social outing of having a few beverages and many may prefer to do so at the Tallangatta League GF which was played on the Saturday beforehand (which included Thurgoona).
3) Have heard some still whinge about the price, but to be honest dont think some of these would have even ventured out given free entry.
4) The standard is not the same as it used to be. Home and away numbers have dropped due to supporter bases getting smaller, therefore the atmosphere is next to nothing compared to some Bush league games with families running around and the cars lining the oval.

absoultly spot on gregg the egg, hume got a bumper crowd last week too i hear?

absoultly spot on gregg the egg, hume got a bumper crowd last week too i hear?

Agree with gregg the egg as well.

As for the HFL GF, a close rello that went told me the cops were busy ejecting people all day, with (amongst other misdemeanors) ice being thrown at goal umps and a few scuffles amongst the punters. Plenty of eskys brought in as well. Hard to police that with the long fences around the Walbundrie ground. Disagreed with the 7K people stated as well.

I'm no good at numbers, but I was also confused - $40K gate and allegedly 7K crowd with the price at $14? What would be the % of adults (legally, not mentally) in that?

'praps someone that was there may like to comment.

Greg the egg,
thanks for your summary. It all adds up. Is pretty much what I thought''.I know its 2011, but in the 70s, 80s and90s the pinnacle level of football in the region was to play in the ones for an O and M club. if u were a regular senior player for your club in the O and M, most guys didnt even think of going to a minor league, until they were in their 30s and not able to play at the high level, thus would go to the minor leagues to play out their careers and maybe take up a playing coach role.As I said , its 2011 and things change, fair enough, .... but my worry is.... why has the GVL, not been so effected . The standard of their league has improved to the point they are now recognized as being superior to the O and M. In addition, they are drawing 10000 to 12000 to their grand final games, and it helps because they are the last grand final to be played on the footy calender in country victoria.But, they have minor leagues surrounding them as well, such as the Murray, Picola , KDL,and Ovens and king to some degree.
Anyway, I guess Iam just a believer in wanting to play at the highest level your ability allows you to, .... not running to minor leagues because of the almighty dollar.But thats how it is now,and on another front, its good for the minor league clubs and the enjoyment of their supporters and families involved .

Hey guys, licing reading your points. I've been lucky enough to play both O&M and GV and at this stage I'd say GV is in front, but really, it ebbs and flows. There are parallels between O&M now and the GV 5yrs ago; Seymour won 3 in a row, played in 4 in a row and most had O&M in front. I reckon there's a case to think other clubs 'don't recruit as hard' when there's a dominant team and are more likely to wait until the dominant clubs drop off a bit. That's what I reckon happened after Seymour lost a few players and all of a sudden more clubs were more proactive in recruiting and it lifted the whole standard of the comp. I truly believe the same will happen in the O&M, it's just a matter of when. Greg the egg hit the nail on the head in regards to the GF crowd; people are less reluctant to watch if it's the same teams competing or there's less teams in the 6 games on the day.

See in the paper Albury have announced another 2 recruits. Cant blame them for continually refreshing the club with talented imports, but what do the young players coming up through the club think? It is good it creates competition for spots, but for some surely it would be a constant kick in the pants when you get close to making the best 22 and then all of a sudden you are shoved down the pecking order again. Any Albury people that can comment on this?
Would imagine Albury will retain a lot of the current group and therefore be right in the mix for a 4th consecutive final. As T.Perry you mentioned Seymour had a similar reign at the top, but i think we could see Albury being a force for a few more years to come.
I think other teams are still trying hard to recruit whilst Albury are a powerhouse, but have heard of a few instances where clubs have been beaten out of a recruit with Albury outdoing the offer, whether it be financially, work wise, ready made success or other.
The question is who is going to land those big few recruits to elevate their side to the next level? Have heard Raiders have a few in the works, Lavi might get a few to come with Saker and North have been active. Would be good to see any side with a strong mix of local talent push the top sides. Anyone from the sides outside of Albury/Wodonga got any news on recruiting fronts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Paul Vice President if so find it hard to believe, plus Colin bleeds yellow and Black. Have heard Albury have pinched Lonnie Hampton from Lavi, not the best of form IMO

not commenting on this one in particular but this is where a points system can be good. in the central murray league players recruited from a club within the same league are given a high ranking as a way of halting the most powerful clubs picking off the talent coming through other clubs. seems to work quite well

not commenting on this one in particular but this is where a points system can be good. in the central murray league players recruited from a club within the same league are given a high ranking as a way of halting the most powerful clubs picking off the talent coming through other clubs. seems to work quite well
Clubs poach players from rival clubs all the time but ill think you find that a lot of the time it is the players that make contact with the other clubs first for various reasons. Eg. Dan Leslie and Luke Garland with Albury.

With the points system, might be worth a try if Albury and Yarrawonga continue this dominance for 2 or 3 more years but from memory only 1 out of 10 sides havent won a flag in the O&M from the past 14 or 15 years which is a pretty good result. Would be interested to see how that compares with surrounding leagues and the GV..?

Clubs poach players from rival clubs all the time but ill think you find that a lot of the time it is the players that make contact with the other clubs first for various reasons. Eg. Dan Leslie and Luke Garland with Albury.

With the points system, might be worth a try if Albury and Yarrawonga continue this dominance for 2 or 3 more years but from memory only 1 out of 10 sides havent won a flag in the O&M from the past 14 or 15 years which is a pretty good result. Would be interested to see how that compares with surrounding leagues and the GV..?

I think the fact Albury has a large contingent of players from other clubs probably adds to rivals frustrations.Off the top of my head they include-
Daly (Corowa)Bush;Mackie (Nth Alb)Thompson (Raiders) Carroll(Lavi)Carey (Myrt).Plenty of other in the two's such as Thompson;Hillary;Kerr.
I realise they all came to Albury under differn't circumstances but have all played elsewhere in the comp.Not sure if any other club's would have as many playing with them.Perhaps the points system is the evener or perhaps club's need to work harder at retaining their own.It is hard enough to recruit let alone re recruit your own.

No it doesnt

The recruitment of Hampton from Lavington to Albury opens up some interesting discussion points:

Is Albury now seen as a pathway to potential GWS recruitment?
Will local juniors get more exposure to GWS if they play with Albury than any other O&M club?
Has Albury's coaching selection been a masterstroke - GWS links, recruiting kids with GWS aspirations, not having to pay them as much as established players?
Should the O&M be looking at a 'representative' Albury/Wodonga side to play in the Eastern (Canberra, Swans, GWS) League? This would then become a more showcase side and a more obvious pathway toward GWS for the region.

Interesting times

The recruitment of Hampton from Lavington to Albury opens up some interesting discussion points:

Is Albury now seen as a pathway to potential GWS recruitment?
Will local juniors get more exposure to GWS if they play with Albury than any other O&M club?
Has Albury's coaching selection been a masterstroke - GWS links, recruiting kids with GWS aspirations, not having to pay them as much as established players?
Should the O&M be looking at a 'representative' Albury/Wodonga side to play in the Eastern (Canberra, Swans, GWS) League? This would then become a more showcase side and a more obvious pathway toward GWS for the region.

Interesting times
Maybe Albury are trying to become that representative side in the Eastern league.Certainly looking to stockpile talent.How many of these kids will be walk up starts though?Can't see the Tigers loosing more than 1 or 2 from this years side,add Vasamarkis next year along with Cal McClay and these kids will be playing reserves.How many will get to GWS from that?
Mahery retained this years list and Stevens sent a letter to every kid he has coached through the program so there are recruiting links there but as Sanson pointed out in Friday's paper at what cost?Would reckon most of these kids would come thinking that GWS doors will open but how long will they stay if they are in the early game?The ripple effect is the opportunities that the local boys will miss out on as these highly credentialled kids come in over the top.Interesting scenario if they lose the locals and the imported kids don't stick around....(Or it all will work and everyone plays for second for the next 10 years lol)

Maybe Albury are trying to become that representative side in the Eastern league.Certainly looking to stockpile talent.How many of these kids will be walk up starts though?Can't see the Tigers loosing more than 1 or 2 from this years side,add Vasamarkis next year along with Cal McClay and these kids will be playing reserves.How many will get to GWS from that?
Mahery retained this years list and Stevens sent a letter to every kid he has coached through the program so there are recruiting links there but as Sanson pointed out in Friday's paper at what cost?Would reckon most of these kids would come thinking that GWS doors will open but how long will they stay if they are in the early game?The ripple effect is the opportunities that the local boys will miss out on as these highly credentialled kids come in over the top.Interesting scenario if they lose the locals and the imported kids don't stick around....(Or it all will work and everyone plays for second for the next 10 years lol)

Have any Albury players departed or linked to Hume or Talangatta teams?
If I was some of their twos players I'd be pissing off. Matthew Bain for example who played half the season in the ones and Spargo pushed him aside as usual.
Dom Star Hossack plays 18 games in the ruck, then gets dropped come finals time. If I was a young kid like that I'd be walking but then again, Dom works at Jossy so theres no way out.

Interesting to see Bulldogs signed two SANFL players when they were 150k in debt.

Have any Albury players departed or linked to Hume or Talangatta teams?
If I was some of their twos players I'd be pissing off. Matthew Bain for example who played half the season in the ones and Spargo pushed him aside as usual.
Dom Star Hossack plays 18 games in the ruck, then gets dropped come finals time. If I was a young kid like that I'd be walking but then again, Dom works at Jossy so theres no way out.

Interesting to see Bulldogs signed two SANFL players when they were 150k in debt.

Why would the blokes in the Magoos go bush when they get as much playing at Albury 2nds as they can in the bush, which is certainly the case for many at Tigerland.

The Bulldogs must have found a money tree!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

O and M 2011 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back