Betstar Champions Cup O&M 2025 Discussion

Who is your early prediction for the flag?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

A Closer Look at Corowa’s AFL Experiment

From a distance, not much seems to have changed for Corowa since they went into recess. The floodwaters may have receded, but nothing has been done to prevent future floods. Aside from their playing surface, the facilities remain well below O&M standards. In fact, many district league clubs have superior facilities. The long-standing issues with the Corowa cluster remain unresolved.

The only significant change I’ve noticed is that the AFL has granted them virtually unlimited player points and the freedom to spend as much money as they can muster to pay players and coaches. This "experiment" by the AFL, in my opinion, is shaping up to be a disaster not only for Corowa but also for surrounding clubs and competitions.

Well-run, successful clubs are already feeling the strain of this Corowa experiment. Players are being lured away with the promise of playing at a higher standard, and clubs are throwing around more than $500 per game to players who once played at their home club for the love of the game. This has had a ripple effect, driving up the price clubs have to pay to retain their own players.

It's not just football. Take a look at Corowa's netball club—whatever’s happening there can't come cheap either.

If I read another article about Corowa requesting financial support from the AFL, or from local, state, or federal governments to upgrade their facilities, I will be outraged. Why can’t they do it like the rest of us? Through hard work, fundraising, and careful planning.

It’s all well and good to invest in coaches and players (for both football and netball), but not at the expense of the facilities—or the surrounding clubs that are paying the price.

The issues within the Corowa cluster have been around for years, and this is the AFL’s solution? From where I stand, the problems will only get worse. It’s as though they’ve handed Corowa a loaded gun. If they don’t shoot themselves in the foot, they’re sure to hit some of the clubs around them.
There's also the issue of whether CR has the management and foresight to look further out than Creswell's couple of years "running the club". Is their thinking that it's as simple as get it right on the field and 'they will come' as in support for the club from businesses, locals and elsewhere, kids wanting to play there, volunteers wanting to be involved?

There's also the issue of whether CR has the management and foresight to look further out than Creswell's couple of years "running the club". Is their thinking that it's as simple as get it right on the field and 'they will come' as in support for the club from businesses, locals and elsewhere, kids wanting to play there, volunteers wanting to be involved?

It’ll help. All I’ve read on this forum is Corowa haven’t recruited well enough, their coaches aren’t good enough etc etc. They are now recruiting, with more to come, bringing back young locals and have arguably one of the best O&M proven coaches from the last 20 years and now that’s not the right way to go about it.
I’d love to see the local town and businesses get behind the Roos as a club but they probably have bigger issues dealing with the inept Federation Council. They are causing more issues for the “cluster” compared to Crezza and his recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’ll help. All I’ve read on this forum is Corowa haven’t recruited well enough, their coaches aren’t good enough etc etc. They are now recruiting, with more to come, bringing back young locals and have arguably one of the best O&M proven coaches from the last 20 years and now that’s not the right way to go about it.
I’d love to see the local town and businesses get behind the Roos as a club but they probably have bigger issues dealing with the inept Federation Council. They are causing more issues for the “cluster” compared to Crezza and his recruiting.

Schutt & Joliffe will be announced soon

Heard big Aidan Johnson has either signed at Albury or put it as his second club !!

I looked on internet and says his signed at Werribee again but my mail is his signed and if not this year the following, and surprise surprise big $$$ involved

Heard big Aidan Johnson has either signed at Albury or put it as his second club !!

I looked on internet and says his signed at Werribee again but my mail is his signed and if not this year the following, and surprise surprise big $$$ involved

Premiership player at Lavi mustn’t mean much?

Rumour was it was happening this Season.
Hopefully stays fit down there and plays every game for Werribee

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Filo will be inducted in to the O&M hall of fame when all is said and done, one of the best players I’ve ever seen in this competition. It’s an absolute privilege to see him do his thing, and his physical durability and passion for the game is unrivalled. It’s no coincidence the teams he’s been a part of have all had ultimate success, he leads the way and often drags others with him.
Still had no superannuation

Remove this Banner Ad

Betstar Champions Cup O&M 2025 Discussion

Back