Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Not exactly an obscure tv show but how good was Mork and Mindy.

It was must watch tv when it was still running back in the early 80s when I was a kid and the repeats were still running well into the 90s.

It had great theme music too like most of the American shows had back then.

Still surprises me that this is spin off from Happy Days.

Most interesting of all was the casting of the daughter. This role went to Nadine Garner, who had just enjoyed a successful run of two series of 'The Henderson Kids', so like Paul Smith who played her on-screen brother in The Henderson Kids her first role post this show was in a family sitcom that also began around this time. While House Rules was axed after only one season, Paul Smith looked to have landed on his feet, as his new sitcom 'Hey Dad' was a massive hit with viewers and would run for 7 years to 1994. So would Paul Smith go on to great success in the world of acting, and would Nadine Garner's fledgling career fizzle out given the success of Hey Dad and the lack of success of House Rules?

As it turned out, the opposite was true. Paul Smith's tenure on Hey Dad proved a short one before he was replaced by look-alike actor Christopher Mayer in the role, and he has long since quit the acting business. Many years later Nadine Garner has proven herself to be an excellent TV, movie and stage actress with an impressive resume of roles, and her career is still going strong.
Paul Smith ended up being a dodgy businessman.
I met him in Hobart circa 1998 when he was president of the DAP Computers bowling league at the then AMF Moonah Bowl, I was quite taken aback when he suddenly rocked up to this particular league given his profile and that it was a pretty down-at-heel league.

Very moody and unfriendly character.

Turned out that he was running a company called DAP Computers in Hobart, and he'd been up to no good elsewhere in Australia previously, he ended up being extradited to Melbourne I believe it was and charged with fraud offences.

2. Crank Yankers. Featured real prank calls played out by puppets. Most of the puppets wouldn't pass through the "acceptability filter" if it was made in 2023
"YAAAAAAAYYYYYY YAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY I LIKE CHOCOLATE PUDDING YAAAAAAAYYYY!" 🤣
On a side note, I got a couple of our friends who are only 19 onto this show and they constantly quote "Special Ed" now haha!

Paul Smith ended up being a dodgy businessman.
I met him in Hobart circa 1998 when he was president of the DAP Computers bowling league at the then AMF Moonah Bowl, I was quite taken aback when he suddenly rocked up to this particular league given his profile and that it was a pretty down-at-heel league.

Very moody and unfriendly character.

Turned out that he was running a company called DAP Computers in Hobart, and he'd been up to no good elsewhere in Australia previously, he ended up being extradited to Melbourne I believe it was and charged with fraud offences.
Love username to post.

Paul actually did a stint behind bars due to gambling problems. Interview with him on YouTube on the subject

Oh I actually know the answer to this one

The show used a fair bit of popular music that was only licensed for the original broadcast - fairly common problem with syndication/DVD releases that is usually dealt with by swapping out the soundtrack with cheaper music that can be licensed in perpetuity

Problem is Drew Carey won’t let them mess with the artistic integrity of the show or whatever, so anyone who wants to rescreen old episodes has to pay a lot of extra licensing costs

I found out a few years ago when I disappeared down an internet rabbit hole trying to find reruns of The Wonder Years (which suffers from a similar problem)

Moral of the story is never make a great show with a banging soundtrack
I have the Wonder Years box set Drew Carey was great :)

What audiences have ppl been in. Heres my impressive list:
Sale of the Century
The Footy Show (twice)
Riki Lake
Before the Game

Tried time and time and time again to get Late Show tickets but never did :(
Video Village a kids quiz show hosted any Dan Webb. Kids had to call him Mr Webb. They had a giveaway with a lucky seat number and we went looking under all the empty seats and I found one with a sign saying ‘you win’ under it and won a board game. Concentration I think the game was

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder what the people who are kicking up about Yumi Stynes' sex ed book would have made of Kenny Everett being beamed into our homes around dinner time each night on the national broadcaster.

I dont know who Yumi Stymes is but Kenny Everett was one of the great British comedians. Died far too young.

Was also quite an enigma. Conservative while also being thoroughly outlandish.

I dont know who Yumi Stymes is but Kenny Everett was one of the great British comedians. Died far too young.

Was also quite an enigma. Conservative while also being thoroughly outlandish.
That was always a head scratcher for me. A gay bloke in the era of AIDS being a death sentence and Section 28 supporting her.

Anybody remember an American show that aired late night I think on channel 10 around early 2000s and was about recovering alcoholics? The main guy owned a cafe or something

Not really obscure but Now and Again, 99-2000.

Had some relatively big names and was prety good, can not find it anywhere now and id love a rewatch,
One of many TV shows from that era trying to cash in on the success of The X-Files and it's out-there sci-fi premises that just didn't catch on, like Nowhere Man and Dark Skies.

has breakers been mentioned yet? 17 year old smoooothy couldn't get enough of this back in the late 90's after sports tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

Back