Obscure TV shows you remember

Remove this Banner Ad

People still think Pertwee played Catweazel
To be fair, he played Worzel Gummidge - a magical scarecrow who looked almost exactly like Catweazle - and both shows were on around the same time on the ABC.

(I may have done some inter-web research for this post:oops:).

To be fair, he played Worzel Gummidge - a magical scarecrow who looked almost exactly like Catweazle - and both shows were on around the same time on the ABC.

(I may have done some inter-web research for this post:oops:).

Worzel Gummidge's boss in this show - The Crow Man - was played by Geoffrey Bayldon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agros cartoon connection was my childhood.

2 cartoon series stood out.

One was Sailor moon. That wasnt as Obscure...

Its this other cartoon. Bob in a bottle.

One of the guys from Agro's Cartoon Connection - Michael 'Gibbo' Gibson (the painter) - recently passed away at age 69 from complications from early onset dementia. I remember back in the mid 1990s Holly Brisley used to balance being the roving reporter on Agro's Cartoon Connection with attending high school on the Gold Coast. Now that's what I call an interesting part time job, sure beats working in a supermarket or waiting tables. Although Holly Brisley isn't the first or last person in Australia to have a presenting role on a national TV show while still in high school; both Shae Brewster and the late Jennine Mapp commenced on Saturday Disney aged 16 and 15 respectively.

Talking of Agro's Cartoon Connection, its cancellation at the end of 1997 led to two replacement kids' shows in the timeslot that would be classed as obscure and forgotten. There was the apparently bland 'Cartoon Connection' in 1998 and 1999 where from what I heard nothing remotely interesting or funny happened, and this was followed by 'The Big Breakfast' in 2000, which after not getting the ratings for a few months was moved to an after-school timeslot and re-packaged as 'The Big Arvo', with Sunrise taking the morning spot where it remains to this day.

Does anyone remember Channel 7's ultimately short-lived answers to Channel 9's successful 'The Footy Show' and 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' that were around in the late 1990s and into the early 2000s?

The Footy Show Equivalent on 7 was 'Live and Kicking' which aired in 1998 and 1999; and the 'Millionaire' equivalent was 'The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime', first hosted by the late Frank Warrick and then by Sandy Roberts.

Does anyone remember Channel 7's ultimately short-lived answers to Channel 9's successful 'The Footy Show' and 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' that were around in the late 1990s and into the early 2000s?

The Footy Show Equivalent on 7 was 'Live and Kicking' which aired in 1998 and 1999; and the 'Millionaire' equivalent was 'The $1,000,000 Chance of a Lifetime', first hosted by the late Frank Warrick and then by Sandy Roberts.

I remember Frank hosting it but not Sandy.

Also, didn't know Frank had died.

Live and Kicking was a show I couldn't watch as it was, at the time, past my bed time.

I wonder if reruns of Mulligrubs would terrorize kids these days

I wonder if many parents who themselves greatly feared 'Mulligrubs' in the late 1980s and early 1990s wish they could get episodes on DVD as a means of keeping their own kids in line? 'If you kids don't behave, I'm going to make you watch Mulligrubs again!'

The best thing about Live and Kicking was the 2 belters sung before and after the GF

This bloke made millions in SA

Match Mates, a lame kids gameshow from the early 80’s with a theme tune I’ve never been able to get out of my head.

The host, David Waters, played a fruit loop homicidal prison officer in Prisoner who was beheaded by Cass Parker with a shovel (!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back