vs
chelsea.jpg

How they got there:

Everton:
Jan 3, Everton 1 - 0 Macclesfield
Feb 4, Everton 1 - 0 Liverpool
Feb 15, Everton 3 - 1 Aston Villa
Mar 8, Everton 2 - 1 Middlesborough
Apr 19, Everton 0 - 0 Manchester United (Everton win 4-2 on penalties)

Chelsea:
Jan 14, Chelsea 4 - 1 Southend United
Jan 24, Chelsea 3 - 1 Ipswich Town
Feb 14, Chelsea 3 - 1 Watford
Mar 7, Chelsea 2 - 0 Coventry City
Apr 18, Chelsea 2 - 1 Arsenal

How they are looking:
Both teams are in fairly good form at the moment, stringing together a number of results. The Cup Final will be Chelsea's last game under influential Dutch manager Guus Hiddink, who has been very successful for Chelsea since joining them mid-season. Didier Drogba will be a key man for Everton to watch, as if the Toffees show a similar weakness to the long ball as they did against West ham, then Drogba could play a massive part.

Everton have been weakened by the loss of their Player of the Season, Phil Jagielka. Jagielka has been brilliant at centre back all season, climaxing with his winning penalty against United in the semi-final. In his place will be regular centre half Joseph Yobo, who has made an impressive recovery form injury. Chelsea will have to be wary of Australian midfielder Tim Cahill, who seems to relish the big games, and has an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time. His move to a centre-midfield role will suit Chelsea, as his forward surges are somewhat reduced.

Chelsea would seemingly have the upperhand going into this clash, however recent meetings suggest otherwise. A scoreless draw at Stamford Bridge the week after the semi-finals gave only a hint of what we can expect next Saturday.

My Prediction:
(This is incredibly biased and is not reflective of any neutral observer)

Everton 2 - 1 Chelsea

Everton score early in the first half through Louis Saha after Steven Pienaar surges down the left flank. This is equalised only minutes later by Drogba, who is too quick for Joseph Yobo after Michael Ballack plays him through.

The half time deadlock is broken with ten to go by Tim Cahill, who rises off a delightful corner to head past Cech. Wembley erupts as he bashes the shit out of the corner flag.

SBS coverage begins at 10:30​

1-0 Chelsea AET.

Another boring as batshit cup final - with Drogba ruining the only chance of any entertainment by scoring in the 120th minute and denying penalties. AGAIN.

Dont really care who wins but I would love to see Timmy head in the 90th minute. As long as he never does it to Liverpool again.

The worst and most irrelevant FA Cup Final this decade?

Will Guus even bother turning up or just hand the reigns over to Didier Drogba for this one

Will Guus even bother turning up or just hand the reigns over to Didier Drogba for this one
Don't know, West Ham's final was pretty irrelevant. Portsmouth and Cardiff was worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the most important Cup final in years :thumbsu:

Two big clubs, both have missed out on silverware this season and thus it marks a great chance for either side to take something away.

Can't wait. It's going to be an enourmous occaision.

I'm so nervous , not for myself but for my son .

It will be his first visit to Wembley , and I so want him to experience the joy I felt in 1984 against Watford and 1995 against Man Utd .

Losing a Final is the worst feeling ever , so don't want to even think about it .

Fantastic video even if the quality is not that good

[youtube]gXEBQhN0Nqo&NR=1[/youtube]

Anyone know what strip we'll be wearing for the final?

I'm so nervous , not for myself but for my son .

It will be his first visit to Wembley , and I so want him to experience the joy I felt in 1984 against Watford and 1995 against Man Utd .

Losing a Final is the worst feeling ever , so don't want to even think about it .

I hope you and your young lad enjoy the occassion :thumbsu:. For me, this will be the first time I have missed seeing Everton in the final of a major cup competition since the 1977 League cup finals against Aston Villa.
Out of all the finals I have been too, the only loss that I could say really hurt me was the loss in the 1986 FA Cup Final. We were IMO, slightly better than Liverpool that season and to end that season without a trophy was very disappointing. If Southall wasn't injured most of that season then we could well have done the double. I didn't care about losing the '85 final, because we had just won the Cup Winners Cup about 2 days earlier and in 1989, I was expecting to lose because Liverpool were much better than us.

I hope you and your young lad enjoy the occassion :thumbsu:. For me, this will be the first time I have missed seeing Everton in the final of a major cup competition since the 1977 League cup finals against Aston Villa.
Out of all the finals I have been too, the only loss that I could say really hurt me was the loss in the 1986 FA Cup Final. We were IMO, slightly better than Liverpool that season and to end that season without a trophy was very disappointing. If Southall wasn't injured most of that season then we could well have done the double. I didn't care about losing the '85 final, because we had just won the Cup Winners Cup about 2 days earlier and in 1989, I was expecting to lose because Liverpool were much better than us.

Plus on the back of hillsborough it was a tough time for the mersey.

just reading an interview on evertonfc.com with Pat Nevin who thinks that final should have been skipped due to the tragedy.

anyway, if any toffee needs to get psyched up just put in the words "everton" and "wembley" into youtube and watch the fans at the semi go beserk. hearing them sing "Forever Everton", "Tell Me Ma", "we shall not be moved" so on gets me going every time.

feeling good. im playing at midday, but i dont really care. love to pinch a goal, and i think the flag qould get smashed jsut for the occasion! :D

COYB!!!!! BRING IT HOME MOYSIE!!!!

Whiteside on the rightside!

1989 was always going to be Liverpool after Hillsborough. I think even I wanted them to win that one... maybe. Just.

I'll be watching this and would like Everton to win, but it's more in hope than expectation I'm afraid. Still, it is a cup match and anything can happen on the day.

On another note... why is "Tell Me Ma" an Everton song? I can understand "Johnny Todd" (the melody of the Z Cars theme tune) because it's a Liverpool story, but "Tell Me Ma"'s about Belfast! Then again, if those buggers can sing "Fields of Athenry" with a straight face...

Really pumped now. I doubt I'll see that many articles in the papers about Everton in an entire season. Just watched Moyes, Cahill and Timmy Howard's interviews on the beeb - we're DUE for some luck and a trophy!!! :thumbsu:

Whiteside on the rightside!

1989 was always going to be Liverpool after Hillsborough. I think even I wanted them to win that one... maybe. Just.

I'll be watching this and would like Everton to win, but it's more in hope than expectation I'm afraid. Still, it is a cup match and anything can happen on the day.

On another note... why is "Tell Me Ma" an Everton song? I can understand "Johnny Todd" (the melody of the Z Cars theme tune) because it's a Liverpool story, but "Tell Me Ma"'s about Belfast! Then again, if those buggers can sing "Fields of Athenry" with a straight face...

No idea, but it sounds good. You can have it back after the final :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Official FA Cup Final Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back