Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Kyabram v Echuca
Shepparton United v Mansfield
Benalla v Shepparton
Rochester v Seymour
Tatura v Euroa
Mooroopna v Shepparton Swans

Can't disagree at all Echuca Boy. Ky and Echuca should be a cracker though. Underlights at ky on sat night.

You gota get up with the times bud. The days of getting you own back is long gone. Seems now days you cant get away with a bit of payback so something else is needed.
Send em off I say. You dont want the football oval going back to a hunting ground for thugs.
I agree with you about the king hits and the non ball playing cowards. But some umps get it very wrong.

Shepparton United 12.9 (81) v Mansfield 15.12 (102)
Benalla 15.9 (99) v Shepparton 17.17 (119)
Rochester 12.8 (80) v Seymour 18.9 (117)
Tatura 6.3 (39) v Euroa 36.13 (229)

Wow, big win from Euroa!
Does anyone know how any of the reserves went?

Wow, big win from Euroa!
Does anyone know how any of the reserves went?

2nds Results - Round 2

Kyabram v Echuca
Shepparton United 10.9 (69) v Mansfield 14.9 (93)
Benalla 22.19 (151) v Shepparton 4.3 (27)
Rochester 16.6 (102) v Seymour 13.10 (88)
Tatura 4.4 (28) v Euroa 15.17 (107)

2nds Results - Round 2

Kyabram v Echuca
Shepparton United 10.9 (69) v Mansfield 14.9 (93)
Benalla 22.19 (151) v Shepparton 4.3 (27)
Rochester 16.6 (102) v Seymour 13.10 (88)
Tatura 4.4 (28) v Euroa 15.17 (107)

Eurora look good.

Jansz kicked a dozen and Grainger 6 apparently.

Could they be a decent threat to the Lions

Guess we'll know about 4.30pm this Friday - always a big one the Seymour/Euroa games and this week's Anzac Day clash at Kings Park should not disappoint

Hey guys, since i'm no longer in the country i have to live my GV footy experience through Bigfooty. I got the mail that Ky had a good win on saturday night and was just wondering if any of you could help me out with the details of the game. It's great to see the boys get a win on the board early, hopefully more are to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

went and watched mooroopna v swans today, gee mooroopna look like they will take a bit of stopping very very fast gelled very well as a team.
any one else catch a glimpse of the swans and cats

Hey guys, since i'm no longer in the country i have to live my GV footy experience through Bigfooty. I got the mail that Ky had a good win on saturday night and was just wondering if any of you could help me out with the details of the game. It's great to see the boys get a win on the board early, hopefully more are to come.

Ky won by about 4 goals according to the website! However I don't think they will play finals-will win 8-10 games

Ky won by about 4 goals according to the website! However I don't think they will play finals-will win 8-10 games

Good stuff, still 8-10 games more than we have won over the last few years, and hopefully the group will stay together for a few years and the club builds on what they already have, time will tell. cheers

Any info on the Rochy Seymour game over the weekend. Looks like it was close to 3/4 time but the Lions kicked away in the last.

Best players and would Bowen have made a big difference for Rochy? Bit closer than I thought, so have rochy improved or seymour lost a bit (or just a good game?)

I'll give it a go.
Kyabram v Echuca
Shepparton United v Mansfield
Benalla v Shepparton
Rochester v Seymour
Tatura v Euroa
Mooroopna v Shepparton Swans only by 12 goals this week.

Over estimating the boys a bit Morphous!!! - back to the drawing board i guess. Swannies not as good as they think perhaps

Good hard fought win by Ky, up by two goals at 3qr time, then running over the top, adding another two late in the game. Echuca had their opps, missing two, by not scoring a goal in the last.

Paul Newman was simply to good up forward for Ky, both at ground level and as a marking option

Good hard fought win by Ky, up by two goals at 3qr time, then running over the top, adding another two late in the game. Echuca had their opps, missing two, by not scoring a goal in the last.

Paul Newman was simply to good up forward for Ky, both at ground level and as a marking option

Who was good for Echuca mate?? Will they play finals this year??

Bulldogs minced by Pies
Teo Pellizzeri
Euroa made a 36-goal statement to get its Goulburn Valley Football League season back on track in a 190-point win against Tatura on Saturday.
Mark Jansz kicked 13 goals to lead the rout as the Pies led at every change to win, 36.13 (229) to 6.3 (39).
After losing to Rochester in round one the Euroa players took it upon themselves to show David Putamorsi a four-quarter performance against the Bulldogs with Seymour waiting in the wings next week.
With the benchmark game ahead of his side, Putamorsi said it was good his side had found both momentum and morale out of the Tatura game.
``After last week the players wanted to clean up their disposal and really stick to the team structure,'' Putamorsi said.
``Tatura were committed to man on man and didn't flood.
``They left the game open enough for us to keep running and keep attacking and it meant our boys were able to stick to the game plan.''
Euroa kicked 10 goals in each of the first three quarters with Scott Grainger booting six, four to Rowan Bonson and three to both Hayden Lamaro and Relton Roberts.
``We stuck with the forward structure to the four quarters and didn't make too many changes,'' Putamorsi said.
``Travis Burls would have got a lot of confidence out of this game on the half-back line.
``He's come through the ranks here and this season he's one of the boys that has to make sure he's a senior player and not a reserve for the full year.
``We're going to see where we're at against Seymour next week.''

Bombers fight back
Gus Underwood
Kyabram has won its historic first game under lights _ and savoured only its third win in two seasons _ with a committed second half comeback against Echuca at Kyabram on Saturday night.
A huge crowd watched the home side fight back after five unanswered Echuca goals in the second quarter and start of the third quarter, to run out winners by 26 points in a character-filled performance.
Key forward Paul Newman, on-baller Chris Atkins and the little-known Ben Gentle turned Kyabram's fortunes around after Echuca took control of the game in the second term to take a slender half-time lead.
Mobile big man Guy Campbell and acting coach Adrian Dohnt, Dylan Butler, Casey Nance, Liam Guinan, Travis Mills and defenders Brendan Prendergast and Leigh Crossman took control during this period as Echuca threatened to run all over the home side which had made the early pace in the game.
But Newman produced his aerial magic to take control in attack along with Gentle, who had been moved into attack from defence, while Atkins and Josh Pell began winning the ball at will.
In defence, skipper Josh Vick inspired his teammates with his disciplined play along with Brett Morgan and youngsters Brad Mangan, Mick Croxford and Justin Chambers providing the support needed to shut down the Echuca forward line after half-time.
Other younger players such as exciting thirds captain Brad Edwards and debutant Xavier Hilton also stepped up like mature players for the home side.
Along with Steve Thomson's successful tagging job on Morrison medallist Colin Durie, and ruckman Zane Coventry and David Newman's influence around the ground, Echuca's goal-scoring power dried up in the second half as Kyabram added six goals to the visitor's one to turn the game around.
The only non-local in Kyabram's team on Saturday night, full-forward Balraj Singh, finished with three goals; although not anywhere near peak form yet, he still needs one or two of the opposition's best players to mind him.
Echuca coach Stephen Orr was unable to attend the game due to illness, with Dohnt taking the job for the night and turning on an inspirational effort.
While new Kyabram coach David Williams was happy with his team's efforts, after the game he raised the sobering thought of his players switching their attention to this Saturday when the Bombers take on touted grand finalist Shepparton Swans at its home nest.

Mooroopna puts the writing on the wall
Ashleigh Williamson
Mooroopna has scored its biggest win in more than 12 months and stamped itself as a genuine premiership contender with a 46-point victory over Shepparton Swans.
Both sides produced a free-flowing first half in which the ball went from end to end, but without reward on the scoreboard as Mooroopna kicked five goals to three to lead by 14 points at the main break.
Kane Boyer kicked a spectacular running goal from about 45m out just inside the boundary, Craig Whelan ran into an open goal from a clever crumb, and Rob Osborne nailed a set shot as Mooroopna broke the match open in the third quarter with five goals to none.
Simon Russell, Steven Cox and Russell Dean ran the lines and linked up through the midfield, while the Swans continued to make skill errors inside 50m.
Northern Territory recruit Henry Labastioa had a set shot to bridge the margin to 35 points after the three-quarter-time siren, but pushed the kick wide and the Swans went into the final term 40 points down.
Swans captain Nathan Bell did his best to get his side back into the contest with an early goal in the last quarter, but Mooroopna kept responding and slotted four goals to three to take out the game, 13.12 (90) to 6.8 (44).
Osborne and Whelan finished with three goals apiece for the Cats, while Bell kicked three to be the Swans' multiple goal-kicker.
Mooroopna's defenders dropped numbers back into the hole smartly all afternoon and Glenn Dundovic and Lucas White were kept quiet as a result.
Nathan Tweddle picked up possessions at will across half-back and was the architect of many attacking plays.
Mat Hebbard and Lochlan Veale worked tirelessly in defence for the Swans, while Jarred Ilett won plenty of ball in the centre, but too often his kicks forward were chopped off by the likes of Tweddle, Michael Barca or Ash Hockey.
Brad Campbell's first two games as the Cats' coach couldn't have been better with two wins, while the Swans might not be the powerhouse most tipped them to be.

Symes' loss keenly felt
A groin injury to gun full-forward Ricky Symes has capped off a disappointing afternoon for Benalla after being beaten by a fleet-of-foot Shepparton by 20 points at Benalla Showgrounds on Saturday.
Symes suffered the injury inside the opening 10 minutes of the Goulburn Valley Football League game and didn't return, and is still unsure of the full extent of the damage.
``I'm going to get it checked out in Melbourne tomorrow night but it's disappointing because I'd been feeling good and wanting to find a bit of touch,'' Symes said.
``I hurt it my first contest and then I led and jumped in my next contest and felt it as I took off.
``I had a bit of work done on the bench ... but it was no good.''
Symes' absence left a gaping hole in Benalla's forward structure, while at the other end Ben Kelly was strong in the square for Shepparton but couldn't convert on the scoreboard.
Benalla cut a 14-point quarter-time deficit to five at the main break after a free-flowing second term saw it slot five goals to three.
Both sides went on all-out attack in the third quarter and produced one of the most entertaining half-hours of football this year as Benalla kicked 7.2 to 5.4 to grab a five-point lead at three-quarter-time.
It was going to come down to which side could run the other into the ground in the last quarter and it was the Bears who did so.
Brad Ridings kicked two superb running goals and Geremie Ganino slotted one from a free kick as the Bears finished over the top of Benalla with six goals to two to win, 17.17 (119) to 15.9 (99).
Marc Harrap was the dominant big man on the ground, constantly palming the ball off to Chris Cullinan and Nick Allan who ran riot through the middle and exploited Benalla's tired legs in the last term.
Matt Chapman was the most productive forward on the ground with four goals for the winners, while Mark Mackenzie kicked three for Benalla and was its best player

Lions make amends for lapse
Teo Pellizzeri
Stick to the game plan and get the reward was the resounding message out of Seymour's 37-point win away to Rochester in Goulburn Valley Football League at the weekend.
The defending premier gave the Tigers a sniff in the second quarter and trailed at half-time before a seven-goals-to-three final term closed out a 18.9 (117) to 12.8 (80) win.
Seymour now has two wins from two to start the season while Rochester slips to one win and one loss.
Saad Saad kicked five goals for Seymour and Brendan Liddell four while Sam Williams was Rochester's only multiple goalkicker with three.
Seymour coach Bernie Haberman said his side's weaknesses as Rochester took the lead were also its greatest strength as it powered away to victory.
Haberman said poor disposal and some unaccountable play were fixed by his side in the second half and with it came a performance at a different level.
``Rochester definitely came out with a different game style to what we'd seen in the past,'' Haberman said.
``They were happy to keep possession of the ball with short kicks and then use their pace to try and burst and catch us out.
``In the first half when we were a bit unaccountable that tactic was working and we had to close them down.''
Haberman insisted his players play tighter to their man in the second half and as a result stopped Rochester players getting loose to expose the Lions with speed.
Despite being in a waiting game to clear ruckman Josh Meiselbach from Collingullie-Ashmont-Kapooka, Haberman said he felt Seymour's rucks won the day.
``Shane (Schottner) and David (Tomkins) were a solid combination and they gave us good service,'' he said.
``When we played to our game plan we got the rewards.
``We kicked the goals quickly in the final quarter to open up a lead and with that we had control of the game.''
Scott Hann, Ben Deuscher and Ash Watson were Rochester's top names in the best.

Midfield pressure thwarts Demons
Teo Pellizzeri
Mansfield's relentless midfield piled on the goals and pulled away from Shepparton United in a scintillating second-half display at Deakin Reserve at the weekend.
The Eagles are now two wins from two in the Goulburn Valley Football League while Shepparton United has one win and one loss.
Mansfield captain Matt Storer and Cairns recruit Daniel Dai enjoyed time and space on the ball through the centre and half-forward line to punish United on the scoreboard with four and two goals respectively.
A running brigade of Shaun Monohan, James Herridge and Rick Saunders gave Mansfield too many links from defence to attack, with fast movement of the ball a hallmark of their play.
Monohan was particularly brilliant in the final quarter as he sent four penetrating kicks into the Mansfield forward 50 in as many minutes, two entries resulting in goals.
United led at quarter-time and at various stages through the second term but _ an early burst from Scott Riordan aside _ just couldn't find marking targets inside the attacking 50m arc.
In a game dominated by on-ballers it was Mansfield's Craig Flint who was the key big man on the ground, the former AFL listed player blanketing United spearhead Matt Forys and holding him to a solitary goal.
Joey Perkovic was United's best with a heap of possessions and run-with role that shut Mansfield's Fraser Stevenson out of the game.
But Mansfield rucks Bernard Jones and 20-year-old Callan Spykers were too tall a combination for Herb Barlow and Cameron Holdsworth and gave the Eagles the majority of hits to advantage.
Mansfield coach Christian Thomson said he was pleased his midfield's run had opened up the game.
``United threw everything at us,'' Thomson said.
``What I liked about Flint and Forys was it was two guys just having an old-fashioned one-on-one.
``Callan (Spykers) is raw and we all know that, but he's got a real thirst for the contest and hopefully we'll see him continue to grow as the year goes on.''

Guess we'll know about 4.30pm this Friday - always a big one the Seymour/Euroa games and this week's Anzac Day clash at Kings Park should not disappoint

Your right there doon. Seymour/Euroa games are always very entertaining games. I will make the journey up the hume this Friday to have a look and down a few cold cans.

Your right there doon. Seymour/Euroa games are always very entertaining games. I will make the journey up the hume this Friday to have a look and down a few cold cans.

I will make sure I come say gday :thumbsu:

I will make sure I come say gday :thumbsu:

Sounds good Doon. This is even more incentive for the Euroa boys to play well this week against the arch rival.

Euroa Milestone For Watto

Euroa co-captain Scott 'Watto' Watson is expected to break the Club's games record on Anzac Day next Friday.
Watson will pass Mick Peel's record of 292 games againsy GVFL rival Seymour.

Watson only took up football as a 21-year-old when he moved to Euroa, about 150km north-east of Melbourne.

Since then the 38-year-old has won a best & fairest, coached the Under 15 Vic Country team, umpired juniors and been a runner for the GVFL inter-league team.

"Making the 2005 grand final is a highlight, and I suppose it's a lowlight because we lost," Watson said.

"I've definitely got some great mates throughout the times I've played footy," Watson concluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad