Official GVFL thread (part 1)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official GVFL thread

Mansfield has started to make its moves on the recruiting front.
No pen on paper as yet but a very handy player (Tassie VFL, Tassie Mariners U/18) has agreed to terms with the eagles and will be heading over early next year.
Won't give too much away, but keep an eye on WIN and the SHEPP NEWS.
I've got a funny feeling they'll both have it in the next 24 hours or so

Mansfield has started to make its moves on the recruiting front.
No pen on paper as yet but a very handy player (Tassie VFL, Tassie Mariners U/18) has agreed to terms with the eagles and will be heading over early next year.
Won't give too much away, but keep an eye on WIN and the SHEPP NEWS.
I've got a funny feeling they'll both have it in the next 24 hours or so

Tassie connection, are you helping with the recruiting mate ;)

Does any one have a list of confirmed comings and goings for each team?

Will Seymour be the team to beat again?

Tassie connection, are you helping with the recruiting mate ;)

might have had a little bit to do with it doon, but only in terms of hooking up the initial meeting.
Fish and Craig Kelly did the rest .. doesn't hurt when you've got a bloke like ned wooing potential recruits.
Hopefully we might get at least one or two more from down there as well.
As they say, two heads are better than one

What about the bottom end?-Tat,Ky and Shepp Bears?
where to for tat and ky? this will be the third, even the forth year in a row they have struggled. (unless they are very quietly recruiting of coarse). is it there location, club culture, players, committee that is not enabling them to 1. recruit and 2. keep the current list. any thoughts.
also is benalla on the improve, not much said and like ringo said, are the bears slipping??

where to for tat and ky? this will be the third, even the forth year in a row they have struggled. (unless they are very quietly recruiting of coarse). is it there location, club culture, players, committee that is not enabling them to 1. recruit and 2. keep the current list. any thoughts.
also is benalla on the improve, not much said and like ringo said, are the bears slipping??
Its getting harder and harder for smaller towns to get good players. Ky and Tat dont really thrive on night life and their not as recognisable as say Shepp, Seymore, etc from a Melbourne perspective. Also with shortages of players these days, the players can afford to follow success, and population dispersement throughout the regional areas mean that Ky and Tat dont retain locals like they used to. Less farmers, tradies and more people heading off to the city for work or education. Its a vicious cycle out there............your on the bottom and you need to recruit, yet you cant recruit because your on the bottom!!

Its getting harder and harder for smaller towns to get good players. Ky and Tat dont really thrive on night life and their not as recognisable as say Shepp, Seymore, etc from a Melbourne perspective. Also with shortages of players these days, the players can afford to follow success, and population dispersement throughout the regional areas mean that Ky and Tat dont retain locals like they used to. Less farmers, tradies and more people heading off to the city for work or education. Its a vicious cycle out there............your on the bottom and you need to recruit, yet you cant recruit because your on the bottom!!

Yeah some good points there. We also need to recognise that both Tat and Ky have lots of smaller clubs in the vacinty that offer money to players. As for Shepp-they appear to be losing some very good players and regaining some in the twilight of their careers. If u become the least successful club out of 2 or 3 in one town then it is also diffcult to recruit. I may be way off the mark but thats how I see the bottom 3 at this stage

hey just wondering if bernard jones is still playing for mansfield and how he has gone up there?

Heard over the weekend that the Tat coach came out at the latest club meeting and stated that they have no recruits, no money for recruits and thoroughly painted a pretty negative picture of where they are at.
I'm not sure that their 'interest free donation' scheme is working all that well either. The locals seem to be a bit wary of where having a shitload of money to spend has gotten the Tat footy club in the first place.

Yeah some good points there. We also need to recognise that both Tat and Ky have lots of smaller clubs in the vacinty that offer money to players. As for Shepp-they appear to be losing some very good players and regaining some in the twilight of their careers. If u become the least successful club out of 2 or 3 in one town then it is also diffcult to recruit. I may be way off the mark but thats how I see the bottom 3 at this stage
I hear what you're saying ringo, and it's a yearly discussion on here it seems.

Similarly, as Ky has a lot of surrounding teams to lose players to, they also COULD use them to draw players from.

Sure, you're going to get the occasional 'big noter' who wants money for the step up, but the majority of players in minor leagues would ultimately like to see if they could cut it in the higher league. So why don't they??

Got a little mail today that T.Sidebottom (Utd)is going to Congupna as Assist coach to play with his brother(s) Other brothers going to Congupna as well?? Any one else got this? Mr Blizzard won't be very happy.... he paid out on Vance going there.... Vance reckons it was the best thing he ever did!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard over the weekend that the Tat coach came out at the latest club meeting and stated that they have no recruits, no money for recruits and thoroughly painted a pretty negative picture of where they are at.
I'm not sure that their 'interest free donation' scheme is working all that well either. The locals seem to be a bit wary of where having a shitload of money to spend has gotten the Tat footy club in the first place.
maybe they should not spend there last $$$$$ renovation the footy change rooms and spend it on some quality local players

FYI specially to those who have got no where else to go!

All is welcome - please PM me for futher info

The Fitzroy Stars FC are holding a BBQ to seek interest of potential players. The Northern Football League are seeking a list of potential players to coincide with our application, the NFL will be considering our entry into the NFL on Monday 10th December;

When:
This Wednesday 5th December 2007

Where:
Aborigines Advancement League
2 Watt Street, Thornbury

Time:
5.30pm Onwards

Supporters and any Interested Members are encouraged to come along, we hope to see you there.

I hear what you're saying ringo, and it's a yearly discussion on here it seems.

Similarly, as Ky has a lot of surrounding teams to lose players to, they also COULD use them to draw players from.

Sure, you're going to get the occasional 'big noter' who wants money for the step up, but the majority of players in minor leagues would ultimately like to see if they could cut it in the higher league. So why don't they??

I suppose they can get more success at these minor league clubs and are more of a chance to get paid or at least win some incentive awards. If you look at Kyabram and Tatura they don't look like being successful in the short term so players play at clubs that could be successful such as Lancaster, Stanhope etc

I suppose they can get more success at these minor league clubs and are more of a chance to get paid or at least win some incentive awards. If you look at Kyabram and Tatura they don't look like being successful in the short term so players play at clubs that could be successful such as Lancaster, Stanhope etc
both ky and tat seem to have made poor choices with their coaaches in recent years. tat had trav ryan looking to rebuild the club only to sack him and go with a coach who brought no recruits and ended up finishing bottom. ky went with 3 coaches last year which clearly didnt work, went with idea to keep all the locals and now 2 of the 3 coaches have moved on. made little sense. maybe dirty williams will get them up the ladder?? time will tell.

Got a little mail today that T.Sidebottom (Utd)is going to Congupna as Assist coach to play with his brother(s) Other brothers going to Congupna as well?? Any one else got this? Mr Blizzard won't be very happy.... he paid out on Vance going there.... Vance reckons it was the best thing he ever did!!
which are tysons bros. steele and trent? is that correct and is there any more. why congupna and not united?

both ky and tat seem to have made poor choices with their coaaches in recent years. tat had trav ryan looking to rebuild the club only to sack him and go with a coach who brought no recruits and ended up finishing bottom. ky went with 3 coaches last year which clearly didnt work, went with idea to keep all the locals and now 2 of the 3 coaches have moved on. made little sense. maybe dirty williams will get them up the ladder?? time will tell.

Yeah-have to agree with that Slydog:thumbsu:

Fill me in Sly Dog where did tat finish under tra ryan ?

I can see where Waddo is coming from - I can not remember a year when I've been involved at the SFC where the Lions haven't had to go to Echuca.
That said, half the town has stayed up there the Satdy night after the game the past three or four years and I think most people actually look forward to that away game now.
when is your next overseas trip mr thoroughbred racing man

Interesting draw. I agree they should have 22 rounds. There are 2 general byes and 2 split rounds. Surely teams and players don't need that much rest.

Anyone know why there are more Sunday games? Sunday games have been traditionally shunned by league delegates, so maybe there has been a change in perspective.

Good to see more night games too with potentially 4 in the draw. They should play more of these.

Which grounds have the best lighting? Deakin, Ky and Tatura have night games. Who else can hold night games?
if all the globes were replced at seymour the ground would light up well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad