Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW AFL ROUND 19 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns Saturday July 23rd at 7.10pm @ the GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Intro

This shapes as one of the more significant Q-Clashes/Pineapple Grapples since the first match between the sides way back in May 2011. The least said about the result of that particular game the better.

Over the journey, there has largely been a sense of confected rivalry, with little riding on the outcome except bragging rights. in recent seasons, when we have been genuinely "good", the Suns have been just as genuinely "bad". They haven't come within the proverbial bull's roar of upsetting us since we started out Finals run in 2019. More about that later.*

The Suns had a golden opportunity to really get into the Finals mix last Sunday. They had the dream result the previous day when Richmond somehow found a way to lose to the much ridiculed Norf. With it all to play for, the Suns pooped the bed and turned in their most inept performance of the season against the Bombers

Now for the in depth analysis and other important quantitative stuff that needs to be considered to assist me pontificate on the outcome.

Last time we met

Round 6 2022
Brisbane 21.6.132 v GC 11.14 80 at Metricon

This was the game where a rampant Zac Bailey kicked 6 goals and our forward line ran riot. Piece of cake, right?
Well, not quite.The Suns showed a fair bit that night. The midfield battle was pretty even but both our scoring efficiency AND accuracy blew the scoreboard out. They also stubbed their collective toes by missing easy scoring opportunities with woeful set shot kicking for goal. I don't know what it looked like on TV but at the ground, I never really felt totally comfortable until we put the issue beyond doubt with a big last quarter. At three quarter time they had more scoring shots than us. 7.12 to 14.4 AND also "won" the inside 50 count for the game by 57-53

Form Line- last 8

Lions - LWLWLWLW

Suns - LWWWLLWL

Our form looks like a game of Noughts and Crosses but there were some mitigating circumstances with our last Covid and injury riddled loss.

They went on a three game tear then lost a couple narrowly, then had a brilliant win against the Tigers before buggering it up against the Bombers

*Head to Head

Played 22 times

Lions 16-6 Suns

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of reading too much into raw HTH data, the fact is we have won the last seven (7) encounters AND by an average margin of 52 points. That's just more than having the wood on an opponent. That's a domination.

Selection Table

Lions

Some real selection dilemmas this week.

Zorko, Berry, Rich, Oscar and Prior are all reportedly available for selection.

We have gone from being injury and Covid riddled two weeks ago, to now having an embarrassment of riches.

Whatever happens, Matho has made a compelling case to be retained. He added grunt, defensive starch and enthusiasm to a midfield that has looked somewhat jaded at times and at other times downright brittle. In the light of Fage's comments at the GWS post match presser, I would be genuinely shocked if Matho was omitted

INS: Zorko, Rich, Berry ,Oscar

OUTS: Sharp, Cockatoo, Ah Chee, Fort

Sharp is an obvious out.

Anyone else who misses out can consider themselves very unlucky, including Prior who I like a lot

Suns

Not nearly as many choices to make. They had just about their best available team out there against the Bombers, given their injury list to some of their best players. It wouldn't surprise to see them go with an unchanged lineup

Prediction

It looks like the Suns blew their Finals chances with that forgettable performance against the Bombers. They might have mentally checked out for this season but somehow I doubt it. Love them or hate them, they have shown some real character this season and I doubt whether they are going to just roll over and hand us the game on a platter. They are still talking up their chances of making the Finals.

Irrespective, whoever we bring in this week are upgrades in personnel from last week, when we easily accounted for GWS.

I'm expecting the Suns to really bring it but unless we revert to total whimp-mode in the midfield, we should have enough at both ends of the field to get the job done.

Lions by 26 points

Last edited:

See us only bringing back players we consider risk free injury wise . With say 3 of those mooted back it'll just about be our strongest team of the year with us hopefully running into form and them running out of gas we should win easily.

As much as I respect your write up Luthor no sane person would ever have Ah Chee out of this side. Even though that includes the selectors on occasions. For reasons unknown. I'd also bring Prior in . Berry/Prior/Ah Chee is a very strong wing combo, all of them showing the versatility to go back deep and help out.

Robbo and Sharp I would omit. To have the above set up.

If Zorko and Rich play unfortunately that leaves Cockatoo out and one other. I'll leave that up to the brains trust.

Oscar for Fort seems highly likely as well.

We’ll smash them
Hope you're right.

A good start is crucial.

If we can put them to sleep early, they might think it's all too hard and we could get a handy percentage boost.

On the other hand, a lazy, dozy start spells trouble. Despite their injury toll, they have some genuinely high quality players and they have had some meritorious wins this season with victories over Sydney, Carlton, Freo and Richmond.

They are capable and despite that aberration last week, they're not the old Suns who used to fold with barely a whimper when the heat went on.

See us only bringing back players we consider risk free injury wise . With say 3 of those mooted back it'll just about be our strongest team of the year with us hopefully running into form and them running out of gas we should win easily.

As much as I respect your write up Luthor no sane person would ever have Ah Chee out of this side. Even though that includes the selectors on occasions. For reasons unknown. I'd also bring Prior in . Berry/Prior/Ah Chee is a very strong wing combo, all of them showing the versatility to go back deep and help out.

Robbo and Sharp I would omit. To have the above set up.

If Zorko and Rich play unfortunately that leaves Cockatoo out and one other. I'll leave that up to the brains trust.

Oscar for Fort seems highly likely as well.
Prior for Robbo is a close run thing IMO.

As I said, I really like Prior. That said, Robbo was admirable against GWS, especially in the first half when his two way running, proved valuable when the game was still well and truly alive.

However, for the purpose of the exercise, let's call Robbo and Prior interchangeable.

Despite my alleged insanity, if Berry is fit and well, he's also an automatic inclusion.

So if Zorko, Rich, Berry and Oscar ALL come in, that means 4 go out.

Who would you leave out for Berry?

Oscar for Fort

Zorko for Sharp

Rich for Cockatoo

Berry for ??????

Please don't say Matho

Last edited:
Prior for Robbo is a close run thing IMO.

As I said, I really like Prior. That said, Robbo was admirable against GWS, especially in the first half when his two way running, proved valuable when the game was still well and truly alive.

However, for the purpose of the exercise, let's call Robbo and Prior interchangeable.

Despite my alleged insanity, if Berry is fit and well, he's also an automatic inclusion.

So if Zorko, Rich, Berry and Oscar ALL come in, that means 4 go out.

Who would you leave out for Berry?

Oscar for Fort

Zorko for Sharp

Rich for Cockatoo

Berry for ??????

Please don't say Matho

Berry for Sharp, Zorko for Matho

Berry, Ah Chee and Prior or Robbo on the wing

I reckon fish has nailed his ins and outs

Zorko for Harry Sharp, Berry for Mitch Robinson, McInerney for Darcy Fort, Adams for Jack Payne and Rich for Nakia Cockatoo

I would be very surprised if Matho is dropped after the rave review Fagan gave him in his press conference.. more likely to be Cockatoo or Mitch Robbo out IMO.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't. We don't tend like to change our structure

Zorko for Harry Sharp, Berry for Mitch Robinson, McInerney for Darcy Fort, Adams for Jack Payne and Rich for Nakia Cockatoo

Push Bailey up to the wing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or Richy kicks it Kiddy on the half back line

Too predictable - opposition will work that out in the first quarter, and we will be back to Rich's normal long bombs.

Keidan taking the kick in is way better - they'll never know what's coming.

The 'vary the kick ins' thing is so funny to me. The most likely team to score after a kick in is the team defending the kick in, by an absolute mile - doing a defensive thing and keeping it long and wide is fine, or looking for open targets for a short kick.

I laugh at teams when they bomb it straight up the middle against us or are super aggressive from kick ins - while occasionally they might get a good result and clear the zone, most of the time Harris punches it back inside 50 and we are well set up to score.

This isn't the 80s where no one defended, you can't be super aggressive from kick ins most of the time unless you are chasing the game late.

Re selection. I wonder if the players give feedback.

Thinking about clugga post game interview. When asked about the trigger of the midfield improvement, he said beastmode.

Gotta figure players want to keep a player that helps them do their fancy stuff.

Wonder what Lyons thought of Mathos inclusion

Would be my selections.
Not sure Prior is quite yet an automatic selection so with 2 weeks off with injury probably needs a week or 2 in the 2’s.
So Robbo for 23rd man this week.
And with the 2’s on Sunday can still play a game if he doesn’t get a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back