Preview OFFICIAL PREVIEW AFL ROUND 19 - Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast Suns Saturday July 23rd at 7.10pm @ the GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would but your son is our current mentor and not looking to move on :'(
My son said he would do the midfield group and Bernie could do the forwards. Could work.

Leigh rated him the greatest forward he played against because wherever he got it over the ground he was going to hurt you.

As a prototype player he'd be unstoppable in today's game because he could play anywhere , mark ,kicked better than anyone ever , and run. In the era he played in he could be targeted illegally, things that just don't happen now.

Great guy , very modest of his own abilities and dealt in a dignified manner with the things that life serves up.
Closest player today might be Bontempelli, but he is still MILES and MILES off Quinlan in every department.

off topic I often wonder if you could use a time machine
some of the guns from the 80's how they go today Bernie, Roos, Pert, Rendall, Gary Wilson owning a wing.
Even our threepeat team.
Different times I did really love just the plain skill in the older footy games
They all too buggered to run back and forwards all day as they been smoking at half time :)
One on ones everywhere.. forwards kicking 100 goals. ahh the golden days
Dermie punching someone behind play not so much :)

Honestly I agree with KB love less of a bench and players have to stay on.

From memory Daniher, Hipwood and McStay are all left footers. Does anyone else feels this narrows our forward affectiveness. Many other teams seem to be using the pocket leads more with the around the corner kicks being more productive now days. Goals from our left hand side only come seem to come from our smalls. I haven’t got stats to back this up but it just feels this way.
I definitely think this has a level of impact with leading patterns. Often see our players kicking from tight angles on the wrong side for a left footer.

Daniher has to grow up a bit and stop playing like an Under 17. He needs to stop flying from 4 back trying to take mark of the century (unrealistic attempt - free to opponent) and do the required repetitive hard running, leading into space dragging his man with him and opening space for others when his lead isn’t honoured. He also needs to hold his feet more. He goes to ground far too easily and as I tell my U10’s, you are not much value when you have lost your feet and are on the ground. Someone should sit him in front of a Jeremy Cameron isolation / highlights reel and talk him through it.
Our forward line seems to be constantly flooded.. and yeah even Jesse Hogan's been good for 2 goals a game & slotting 2/3rds of them lately.

We're the highest scoring team and the most efficient going inside 50 again this year. Not to say we can't improve but they must be doing a reasonable job
Seems like this conversation comes along 3-4 times a year and each time you look at the stats and they show our forward line as being highest scoring and most efficient going inside 50...not sure what some BF Posters are looking for in our forward line thats different to what they already deliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like this conversation comes along 3-4 times a year and each time you look at the stats and they show our forward line as being highest scoring and most efficient going inside 50...not sure what some BF Posters are looking for in our forward line thats different to what they already deliver.
Yep, our attack is fine, our ability to consistently deliver all ground defensive run on turnover and pressure is our problem against the better sides. Plus bad lapses at centre bounce clearances.

I was taking about current form, but yeah just keep burying your head in the sand & keep thinking we'll make top 4 at this rate!
Whats top 4 got to do with your statement?

You made the comment about Hogan...all I was doing was giving some more accurate info.

Sorry to offend but if you make an incorrect statement you better be prepared for someone to challenge it sometimes.

Whats top 4 got to do with your statement?

You made the comment about Hogan...all I was doing was giving some more accurate info.

Sorry to offend but if you make an incorrect statement you better be prepared for someone to challenge it sometimes.
He's kicked 16.9 in the last 8 weeks, that's 2 goals per @ 64%.. so no actual offence taken, just not sure where your confusion is coming from

Big boys do tend to go missing in big games though.
You’ve got to admit.

Big boys do tend to go missing in big games though.
You’ve got to admit.
Not Bernie. His greatest quarter on the big stage. Arguably one of the greatest individual quarters in a final by a single player. We was robbed too.

Closest player today might be Bontempelli, but he is still MILES and MILES off Quinlan in every department.
I don’t doubt Quinlan was a great player but if Bont or any of the the great players now played back then with that much space they would have a huge impact as well. I don’t even think Bont is the best example but it’s near impossible to contain him now with all the structures and game planning, if he played with that little defence and pressure he would run rampant. Not saying either player is better than the other, just that nostalgia may be playing a part in some people’s memory.

We could easily loose this game if our key forwards don't sharpen right up. Since our LWLWLWLW form slump over the past couple of months Daniher's 1.4 goals a game @44% accuracy, Hippy's 1.4 @50% & McStay's 1.0 @50%. Sure we've been kicking from harder positions & under pressure lately but that's so under par it's embarrassing!!

Not surprised accuracy has gone to water when the pressure ramps up. We’ve seen this happen regularly in finals as well. Sadly it’s mental.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t doubt Quinlan was a great player but if Bont or any of the the great players now played back then with that much space they would have a huge impact as well. I don’t even think Bont is the best example but it’s near impossible to contain him now with all the structures and game planning, if he played with that little defence and pressure he would run rampant. Not saying either player is better than the other, just that nostalgia may be playing a part in some people’s memory.

I've said this previously but he's still one of the best I've seen, better than any modern day forwards Brown, Frankiln, Riewoldt et al. Only one I would have close would be Carey and I'd still take Quinlan over him. Criminally underrated because he played for Fitzroy IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back