Game Day Official preview/GDT - Semi-Final Geelong vs NMFC - MCG, Friday 7:50pm (Out: Jacobs / In: Harvey)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
wouldn't mind seeing luke mcdonald given the role on selwood. Did a fantastic job on Sloane 3 weeks ago and sloane is very similar to selwood. What's everyone's thoughts?
Just need to deny him the ball. If we can get his mind off the footy and into his opponent it will seriously hurt Geelong

I agree mate, they have improved massively and it does those boys an injustice to not recognise that.

You blokes have been unlucky with injuries. Mind you, that comes with the package with big Hamish, for all his good points.

Yeah I think because we haven't had the high picks of other clubs we've at times gone for guys with questionable injury histories who slip down the order a bit. Whatever reason we seem to have had a heap of guys with terrible injury histories in recent years. For example our 4 guys taken in the 2009 draft apart from Duncan (Christensen, Vardy, Menzel and Cowan) would've played something like 70 games between them at either AFL or VFL in the past 3 seasons. They'd be averaging missing about 75% of their games through injury.

Goldstein against Blicavs and Walker will be interesting. Obviously North would be hoping for a massive advantage in the clearances based on Goldstein's ruckwork. Geelong will be hoping to nullify that as much as possible and then try to run Goldstein off his feet. While I'm aware it could end badly these 2 are vastly improved on what they were. At the beginning of last year they were our only 2 fit rucks going into round 1 and we were all assuming we'd be destroyed in the ruck. It says a lot that we can now go into a final and be optimistic that they'll at least be competitive.

I fell genuinely sorry for McIntosh. He finally got over his injuries and was playing solid footy and his body again gives up on him in the last few weeks of the season. I think it's more fatigue than anything. It just looks like this season was too much for him after missing so much footy in previous years.

Not as exclusively smart as I thought.
Seems quite a few erudite souls also saw this.
Ah well. Smash em Shinboners.
Erudite souls always seek the company of other erudite souls Cbm. (Or so I'm told.)

He'd be too strong for Luke.

Cunners to go head to head.
This season:

Selwood Cunnington
2014Stats for Season2014
23Games23

12.9Kicks Per Game11.4
12.7Handballs Per Game10.4
25.6Disposals Per Game21.8
4.5Marks Per Game3.6
1.0Goals Per Game0.6
0.7Behinds Per Game0.3
5.9Tackles Per Game5.8
0.2Hitouts Per Game0
4.2Inside 50s Per Game3.1
0.8Goal Assists Per Game0.5
2.7Frees For Per Game0.4
1.2Frees Against Per Game1.2

12.8Contested Possessions Per Game11.4
13.6Uncontested Possessions Per Game10.7
19.5Effective Disposals Per Game15.0
76.2%Effective Disposals % Per Game68.8%
2.5Clangers Per Game
0.4Contested Marks Per Game0.5
Marks Inside 50 Per Game0.5
6.2Clearances Per Game5.8
1.6Rebound 50s Per Game1.6

2.4One Percenters Per Game1.5
0.5Bounces Per Game0.1
86.1Time On Ground % Per Game75.9

I thought Ben would have him seriously covered in Frees Against, but not so.

Tell ya what though, if Ben10 was to get his TOG up by another 10% he would be pushing Selwood in every category. That said, I am glad that we have sufficient depth to keep all out inside mids relatively fresh deep into games.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-...n-goldy-off-his-feet-say-north?utm_medium=RSS

North says Blicavs won't run Goldy off his feet

NORTH Melbourne has a warning for Geelong utility Mark Blicavs – try to run ruckman Todd Goldstein off his feet at your own peril.

The Cats will enter Friday night's semi-final without a genuine ruckman after Hamish McIntosh – their last standing big man – was ruled out with knee soreness.

The former Kangaroo joins other Geelong rucks Dawson Simpson (back) and Nathan Vardy (knee) as unavailable to go up against Goldstein and Ben Brown, leaving the 198cm Blicavs to carry the load.

While Blicavs' main weapon is his endurance, stemming from his background in steeplechase, Kangaroos' assistant coach Leigh Tudor has warned Goldstein won't be beaten if the Cats' plan is to run him off the park.

"Teams in the past have tried to run him around and he's always put up with that, he's got a big motor so he should be fine," Tudor told AFL.com.au.

"It's just something different for him. He's used to playing against the big blokes and now with whoever they bring up, it's going to be a different challenge.

“’Goldy’ has proven over a number of years he can ruck all day, so we don't expect that to change.

"There's a few things we can do to help him out as well." continued...

If Blicavs best weapon is endurance (which it is) Goldy will smash him in the matchup. Goldy is extremely fit, not to the same extent as Blicavs of course, but elite fitness is one of his traits nonetheless. And of course Goldy is better in every other area. I love Goldy's tackling.

Spitta needs to go to anotger level this week and match duckwood for clearances.

Ziebs needs to get more ball and use it well.

Our midfield is deeper and with Boomer back it will be even better.

Duncan it underrated player and very dangerous- kicks multiple goals as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interested in how people think we can kick a winning score? I see Lonergan shutting down Petrie, Rivers doing a job on Black, Taylor likewise on Brown and helping out the other two. I'd expect Enright to hold his own against our resting mids.

Is anyone able to put my mind at ease?

L
Interested in how people think we can kick a winning score? I see Lonergan shutting down Petrie, Rivers doing a job on Black, Taylor likewise on Brown and helping out the other two. I'd expect Enright to hold his own against our resting mids.

Lindsay Thomas, Boomer Harvey, Kayne Turner, Jack Ziebell.

Well shit mate, when you put it like that maybe we should all just stay at home...
Im happy to back in Drew against Lonergan, black will drag Rivers all over the joint. And Brown will keep harry worried about his height. Thomas, Boomer, kayne, Ziebs, Cunners and others can kick goals...

If Blicavs is the only recognised ruckman Geelong field then I would hope that when he is anywhere near the ball some of the bigger midfielders put 'signifant' but fair and legal body contact on him with tackles and bumps, because he isn't the biggest bloke going around.

If they cant mark then we have to lock it in like we did last half last week.

We were looking directly up the ground into the fwd line during that 3rd Q and it just looked like threat after threat.

LT, Boomer, Turner and the mids need to lock it in and pressure their backs.

Has to be fanatical do or die stuff....when Hawks did it last week the Cats melted....we have to bring that intensity to every contest.

My worry is whether or not we played our 'Grand Final' last week...

or

whether or not that second half is the breaking of the form dam and we hit our straps!????

Well shit mate, when you put it like that maybe we should all just stay at home...
Im happy to back in Drew against Lonergan, black will drag Rivers all over the joint. And Brown will keep harry worried about his height. Thomas, Boomer, kayne, Ziebs, Cunners and others can kick goals...

Exactly, they can all kick 1 or 2 against them. Not only Browns height, but must have a surprising burst of speed too - he often gets space on those leads. We play attacking footy we score goals.

the game comes on here at 5:30am friday morning. will try to watch some of it (would try to be up by 7:30am to catch the end of the game).

There will be goals aplenty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back