2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I see Sheather as a symbol of a breakthrough for the outliers. He wasn't amongst the prominent but made it and many will take heart the dream can come true whatever their distance from the top.

Wicks the more obvious example, but agree nonetheless.

Wicks the more obvious example, but agree nonetheless.

Wicks was just disrespected by the AFL in selection. He had runs on the board as MVP but because of southern state politics imo was overlooked. Sheather wasn't favoured at all but coaches saw something that matched their need. Both ultimately outliers but with different paths

Wicks was just disrespected by the AFL in selection. He had runs on the board as MVP but because of southern state politics imo was overlooked. Sheather wasn't favoured at all but coaches saw something that matched their need. Both ultimately outliers but with different paths
Both pretty likely to have long and successful careers given their improvement so far.
I will cheer when we have too many Academy boys in the draft to take them all.

A new partnership between the QBE Sydney Swans Academy and both AFL North Coast and AFL North West allowing a greater number of development opportunities for talented and committed players. This partnership will provide a clear process for high performing players in the region to be selected to attend Sydney metro sessions for potential selection in higher level Swans Academy programs.

A new partnership between the QBE Sydney Swans Academy and both AFL North Coast and AFL North West allowing a greater number of development opportunities for talented and committed players. This partnership will provide a clear process for high performing players in the region to be selected to attend Sydney metro sessions for potential selection in higher level Swans Academy programs.
Im interested in where the boundaries are?? My little fella plays in a comp including Tweed, Byron, Lismore and Ballina shires.. Its the Suns territory. I guess the 'North Coast' is from Coffs and south.

Have we extended our North coast and/or North West regions?

Good news regardless, The AFL is doing a good job up here in a world of soccer and league

Im interested in where the boundaries are?? My little fella plays in a comp including Tweed, Byron, Lismore and Ballina shires.. Its the Suns territory. I guess the 'North Coast' is from Coffs and south.

Good news regardless, The AFL is doing a good job up here in a world of soccer and league
I assume AFL North Coast includes these clubs - no mention of Tweed, Byron, Lismore and Ballina clubs :(

Hate to get political (not really) but shouldn’t we be saying “Queensland can get their own academy players”? I mean, if they get injured, which hospital do they go to?

I assume AFL North Coast includes these clubs - no mention of Tweed, Byron, Lismore and Ballina clubs :(
Yep, they're all mid north coast towns.. Coffs and South

Academy Zone map
Here's the map BruceFromBalnarring SGBeach

Not sure how they justify giving NSW area to bloody QLD. That's a joke of gargantuan proportions.

Here is a zoomable map from the AFL

1643789658181.png

Believe the justification is AFL Queensland have always provided the development in that area not AFL NSW/ACT and therefore one of the Queensland teams gets the benefits of work done by the State body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here is a zoomable map from the AFL

View attachment 1320612

Believe the justification is AFL Queensland have always provided the development in that area not AFL NSW/ACT and therefore one of the Queensland teams gets the benefits of work done by the State body.
Bit of leaving the Lions' area alone too. Closer to Brisbane.
I grew up in the western Riverina and there was a fair bit of allegiance to Victoria. Melbourne was 250 miles vs Sydney 470.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back