2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Was thinking I would go and watch the game against Eastern Rangers as their ground or Box Hill Oval aren't that far from me and I used to be involved with them. I clicked on the link and it's being played at Craigieburn. Craigieburn?!? What on earth??? Is it because it is closer to Sydney so the Swans don't have to travel as far?!?

Last edited:
Clinging to a 5 point lead

Nervous The Big Bang Theory GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't have facebook so all I could do was follow the score. Hopefully we might get a clip or two from the club.

I am not on Faceache but for some reason could access the vision and crowd noise

Ok, just had a watch

Goals:
2 Cabor, 2 Mclennan, 1 Lugsdin, 1 Ryan, 1 Hawkins, 1 Andreacchio

Notes:
Cabor was lively in the first half but was somewhat quieter in the second half. Overall had a good game and was one of the overagers in the match

Este was very good in the D50 for the swans. Good reader of play.

In the middle there was often Harrison, Carmichael and King with either ruckman in Reeves. and Clifton. The underager in Carmichael was my pick of the three, with both Harrison and King doing well.

On King, he has all the tools to be a veey good AFL player. Needs to continue to develop. His kick to Hawkins to seal the match was a pearler.

Cochran was OK. Nothing particularly special he did during the match IMO.

Chamberlin was our main fwd target with our i50s and conditions not helping him on bit. Happy to impact on the contest which is a great sign.

Overall was a scrappy affair

Adam Kingsley, GWS senior coach, said:

"The Swans and Giants do such a great job with the Academies, but the reality is Sydney has 2500 12 to 15-year-olds to pick in their zone (whereas) we have 250. One in every 28 players join the Swans Academy, one in every four joins the Giants' Academy," he said.

"That's a reflection of participation levels because the population in both regions is almost identical. Different demographic. Indigenous, multiculturalism, rugby league and soccer are both massive in western Sydney. A lot of expats live in Sydney's eastern suburbs where AFL is more ingrained than the other areas.

I am sympathetic to GWS but to me what this is saying is that GWS just haven't done anywhere near as good a job as us at developing their region.

I don't get the point about 'expats' either. What's an expat? People from other wealthy countries who live here? (If they come from poorer countries they get called migrants. There are way more migrants in western Sydney.) Somehow I doubt this is what Kingsley means but I'm stuffed if I know what he does mean. Is it an advantage to have people from overseas? Seems unlikely except I suppose you could say they are not already attached to another local code and may be more open to taking up AFL?? My dad was European and liked soccer but engaged with rugby league (in the 80s) because that was the main sport in town.

In conclusion: the AFL does need to work harder to win hearts, minds and eyeballs in western Sydney but possibly GWS also deserve some harsh scrutiny for not doing better at making inroads so far (even though they have done well in other ways).

"The Swans and Giants do such a great job with the Academies, but the reality is Sydney has 2500 12 to 15-year-olds to pick in their zone (whereas) we have 250. One in every 28 players join the Swans Academy, one in every four joins the Giants' Academy," he said.

"That's a reflection of participation levels because the population in both regions is almost identical. Different demographic. Indigenous, multiculturalism, rugby league and soccer are both massive in western Sydney. A lot of expats live in Sydney's eastern suburbs where AFL is more ingrained than the other areas.

I am sympathetic to GWS but to me what this is saying is that GWS just haven't done anywhere near as good a job as us at developing their region.

I don't get the point about 'expats' either. What's an expat? People from other wealthy countries who live here? (If they come from poorer countries they get called migrants. There are way more migrants in western Sydney.) Somehow I doubt this is what Kingsley means but I'm stuffed if I know what he does mean. Is it an advantage to have people from overseas? Seems unlikely except I suppose you could say they are not already attached to another local code and may be more open to taking up AFL?? My dad was European and liked soccer but engaged with rugby league (in the 80s) because that was the main sport in town.

In conclusion: the AFL does need to work harder to win hearts, minds and eyeballs in western Sydney but possibly GWS also deserve some harsh scrutiny for not doing better at making inroads so far (even though they have done well in other ways).
Agree with what you’re saying. It’s on GWS if their numbers aren’t up to scratch, particularly in the youngest age groups where kids don’t have to choose between AFL and other sports and, indeed, are encouraged to keep playing other sports (at least in the Swans’ academy system).

As for “ex-pats”, I suspect he’s referring to people from other parts of Australia, and specifically from the football-crazy states. I might be wrong, but that makes more sense in this context.

They got gifted everything and they have the Riverina which was always South / Sydneys region . They can get stuffed

If the Giants actually invested time and resources into Western Sydney, they would see more results. These kids get pushed aside as the U18's/U16's get filled with more and more Riverina/ACT players each year. They'll claim that Keiren Briggs is from Western Sydney, but Pennant Hills really isn't.

From 2014-2018, it was always painful to work with GWS players at school programs who clearly didn't want to be there and the older kids would pick up on it. They want to shape this next generation of fans, but aren't willing to put in the work to do it.

From experience, too, I know a lot of kids will be looking out for someone they know/from their area who has made an AFL list. Growing up around 2006/07, our team was lucky to have Kieren Jack as someone we could look at and know that if we were good enough, we could make it. It would be an ultra rare opportunity, but an opportunity nonetheless. Who do these GWS academy kids in Western Sydney have? No one. They don't see a pathway for them to ultimately make it on an AFL list.

Agree with what you’re saying. It’s on GWS if their numbers aren’t up to scratch, particularly in the youngest age groups where kids don’t have to choose between AFL and other sports and, indeed, are encouraged to keep playing other sports (at least in the Swans’ academy system).

As for “ex-pats”, I suspect he’s referring to people from other parts of Australia, and specifically from the football-crazy states. I might be wrong, but that makes more sense in this context.
Given that GWS has access to the areas that actually historically play AFL that seems a bit odd. Maybe they have no interest in the Giants Academy?

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back