2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

How big is Hiscox?
Hard to say. On the field he seems quite rangy but perhaps it's elongated by the excitement of the rough and tumble. Perhaps in the quieter confines of the home he might have shrunk a few inches

i have a question. In 2015 we have Josh Dunkley F/S but we also have Callum Mills both at this stage top quality 2015, can we use our first pick on dunkley, and our second on mills? or is it stiff s***?
It's just the same as F/S bidding, we have to use our next available selection after the rival clubs bid.

If we had say picks 15 and 35 in a particular draft. Two of our Academy players are very highly rated and attract bids from rivals of 8 for one of the players and 12 for the other player. We would have to use our pick 15 for the first player and because we'd already used pick 15 we'd have to use our pick 35 for the second.

So having two or more well rated players available in the same draft is a bonus as opposed to them cropping up one year at a time. 2015 ND could be one of those with Dunkley and Mills both highly regarded AT THIS STAGE. If it happens too often, expect Eddie Maguire to lobby the AFL to limit our take to just one per draft!

How long do we have this academy advantage for?
Until EDDIE decides that it is unfair to Collingwood!

The four northern states are at a disadvantage because the vast proportion of their players come from interstate making them susceptible to the go home factor which s exploited by the strong clubs in the southern states, Collingwood included Eddie!

What happened to Brisbane last year was a disaster for them (and the AFL). Having first round picks with two and three years development in them demand a trade to a specific club in their home state for much inferior picks shouldn't be allowed to happen.

I'll post the number of interstaters on each list later and you'll see why Academies are important and fair to the northern clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until EDDIE decides that it is unfair to Collingwood!

The four northern states are at a disadvantage because the vast proportion of their players come from interstate making them susceptible to the go home factor which s exploited by the strong clubs in the southern states, Collingwood included Eddie!

What happened to Brisbane last year was a disaster for them (and the AFL). Having first round picks with two and three years development in them demand a trade to a specific club in their home state for much inferior picks shouldn't be allowed to happen.

I'll post the number of interstaters on each list later and you'll see why Academies are important and fair to the northern clubs.
They're also important in the long-term from a marketing and growth perspective. NSW and QLD teams need home-grown players to cheer for, in order to get more kids interested in AFL. It's different in the other states, where AFL is the default sport.

Whilst the BF whinging will hit COLA-indignation levels the moment we get a prospective top 10 or (heaven forbid) top 5 pick out the academy selection, in the long-term that's what it will take to make GWS and GC a success. Nothing beats a local boy made good for publicity (look at K. Jack).

Last week Savage played for the Saints in the NZ game. No one knew most of the players, but Savage got a cheer every time he went near it. The NZ local boy factor was in effect. It was pretty obvious he was the most popular player on the field, and that alone would get a few kids playing AFL.

The AFL want the game to grow in NSW and QLD, and the academies are the best and quickest way to do that. Even Eddie should realise that, and leave them alone for a few years (but i won't bet on it... I think Eddie would be happy if every other team went under, and it got down to a one-team comp, just so Collingwood could win every year).

Even Eddie should realise that, and leave them alone for a few years (but i won't bet on it... I think Eddie would be happy if every other team went under, and it got down to a one-team comp, just so Collingwood could win every year).

Eddie understands it very well, but some of the Melbourne clubs are already pushing against it as unfair because of how we got Perris (despite him not being an Academy pick) not knowing that they have access to the players in the 4 Academys under the bidding system. Some even think we are the only ones who have this academy setup and access to the players.

Not well informed some clubs

The AFL want the game to grow in NSW and QLD, and the academies are the best and quickest way to do that. Even Eddie should realise that, and leave them alone for a few years (but i won't bet on it... I think Eddie would be happy if every other team went under, and it got down to a one-team comp, just so Collingwood could win every year).

I also think the AFL really should bring in State of Origin in a few years and have NSW vs QLD as there is the incorrect perception in much of Sydney and Brisbane that AFL is a Victorian game. A proper State of Origin match between NSW and QLD would do wonders for the AFL in showing everyone in both states that it is a national game.

I also think the AFL really should bring in State of Origin in a few years and have NSW vs QLD as there is the incorrect perception in much of Sydney and Brisbane that AFL is a Victorian game. A proper State of Origin match between NSW and QLD would do wonders for the AFL in showing everyone in both states that it is a national game.
I think the only thing that would showcase is the lack of NSW players playing in the AFL. A few injuries and NSW may not be able to send out a full team.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back