2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is another fairly definite selection for us in 2014 in Isaac Heeney. Can anyone provide an update on whether he is still tracking as a likely selection for us next year.

He is not a Scholarship player, as that scheme is now defunct, and as an Academy member will be subject to the F-S type bidding process but hopefully he can make the selection grade. I'm all for having as many NSW players on our list as possible.

His currently with the AIS AFL Level 1 Squad and won the Jim Stynes Scholarship there last year, And was pretty solid for the NSW under 18's this year as an underage player.

Also player a few games for our reserves and apparently wasn't too out of place but grimlock may be able to elaborate a bit further on that.

Write up on him is on the AIS Site.

Isaac HEENEY 5 May 96 181cm 73kg NSW/ACT Rams/Cardiff Hawks
Medium midfielder with an excellent work rate and appetite for the contest. Has the ability to win his own ball on the
inside and distribute, as well as being able to find the ball in space and deliver by foot. His competitiveness and clean
hands is a real feature of his game. Winner of the NSW/ACT Rams MVP at NAB AFL U/16 Championships.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2012/AIS-AFL-Academy-Player-Profiles-Level1.pdf

If he had a similar performance for a traditional AFL state as an under 18's player (VIC, WA or SA) he would most likely be currently be talked up as a probably first round selection.

Personally I think we should be able to grab him with our second round selection, but if he improves more during the year another club may make a bid on him.

There were a couple of other academy players that were eligible - Jack Hiscox and Harrison Green, but the Swans decided that empty list spots would provide more. Max King, Anthony Miles and NSW u18 captain Michael Gibbons were also overlooked. So there isn't a lot of faith in the NSW talent base.

I'm terribly upset we didn't grab Hiscox. Jack is a real puller, would have really risen through the ranks IMO.

As for the empty list spots, false comparison. The Swans decided that Buddy Franklin would provide more. Big difference.

I'm terribly upset we didn't grab Hiscox. Jack is a real puller, would have really risen through the ranks IMO.

It would have certainly satisfied all the people disappointed when they lost their ability to make terrible Lamb puns

Gibbons hard done by, will get a chance next year i suspect.

Good thread this one.

Interesting how this is going to pan out over the next few years, especially if we get a few father son picks too. Is there a limit to the players you can take in one year? Theoretically you could have your whole draft decided by other teams bidding.
Looking forward to the 2015 draft when we get access to mills and dunkley (f/s) after 2 years of AIS training.... got a real good feeling the Dunkley boys will make it.

It would have certainly satisfied all the people disappointed when they lost their ability to make terrible Lamb puns

I still have a hard opinion that Dick will explode this year, come out of his shell, insert himself firmly in the selectors mind and not beat about the bush to rise above the pack and get one good shot away, at least, in the seniors.

Anthony Miles can find the ball all right, but his disposal lets him down. With all the mature age recruits Richmond have gathered over the past 2 drafts, they're going to have one heck of a VFL team in 2014!

As for the empty list spots, false comparison. The Swans decided that Buddy Franklin would provide more. Big difference.
Don't think that's really accurate. The rookie wages paid to two players filling the final two theoretical spots on the rookie list wouldn't count in the salary cap.

That said, how many other clubs are carrying a 7 strong rookie list next year (or 5 strong, if they have 40 on the senior list). The Swans may look to have spare spots because we have the capacity to fill our quota of Category B rookies more easily than most clubs. But that doesn't mean it's necessary to carry the maximum possible. The total list size for 2014 is on a par with the last couple of seasons and with the lists other clubs have.

I think there is another fairly definite selection for us in 2014 in Isaac Heeney. Can anyone provide an update on whether he is still tracking as a likely selection for us next year.

He is not a Scholarship player, as that scheme is now defunct, and as an Academy member will be subject to the F-S type bidding process but hopefully he can make the selection grade. I'm all for having as many NSW players on our list as possible.

In the just released Champion Data 2014 AFL Prospectus, they rate Heeney in the top 25 players for the 2014 ND. Looks like he will be heading our way later this year, which pick we have to give for him will be the only thing to ponder. I assume he'll play as a ressies toppie at times this year.

In the just released Champion Data 2014 AFL Prospectus, they rate Heeney in the top 25 players for the 2014 ND. Looks like he will be heading our way later this year, which pick we have to give for him will be the only thing to ponder. I assume he'll play as a ressies toppie at times this year.
Heeney has moved to Sydney this year and will be playing for the Swans NEAFL side when not committed to the RAMS or AIS programs

Heeney has moved to Sydney this year and will be playing for the Swans NEAFL side when not committed to the RAMS or AIS programs
Smart move, will allow him to develop quicker and one assumes he'll be training with the clubs senior & ressie player as I believe Perris did in 2013.

Heeney is a gun, better than Perris will ever be.
Swans will have to draft this kid or other clubs will be knocking including the Demons doubt he will accept rookie when his AIS mates will be drafted. His numbers at the AIS put him above top 25 more like top 15.

The Mad Monday Show have posted their top 10 prospects for 2015 draft. Swans Academy player Callum Mills and potential father son Josh Dunkley are included.

Callum Mills (North Sydney/ Swans Academy)

In the next couple of years there appears to be some strong talent coming out of NSW, with none better then Callum Mills. A Sydney Swans academy member, Mills shows good leadership on and off the field and was the captain of NSW/ACT division 2 winning side at the 2013 U/16 national championships. Known for his hard “gut” running and strong contested ball winning, Mills is the prototype Sydney Swans player when they get first dibs at drafting him in the 2015 draft. Mills is more then a “in and under” midfielder however with some polish to go forward and kick goals that can be damaging and earned him the MVP for NSW as well as Division 2 Best player at the U/16 Champs. A level 1 AIS/AFL Academy Member Mills should flourish again in the Swans Academy getting the chance to play in the NEAFL against more mature male bodies and learn the professional ways of an AFL club.

Joshua Dunkley (Sale/Gippsland Power)

Dunkley son of past AFL player Andrew (217 games – Sydney) is a well-built midfielder who can win his own contested football and be damaging in the clearances. At age 15 he played in senior premiership with Sale and can play with the more mature bodies. Dunkley an AIS/AFL Academy member should fit nicely into this years Gippsland TAC Cup team playing a key role through the midfield and may be a chance to represent Vic Country at the U/18 Championships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL u17 Academy side played a game against NZ Hawks yesterday. Josh Dunkley captained the team and was awarded the Cameron Ling Medal after the game. Both he and Callum Mills named amongst the best.

AFL u17 Academy side played a game against NZ Hawks yesterday. Josh Dunkley captained the team and was awarded the Cameron Ling Medal after the game. Both he and Callum Mills named amongst the best.

Really good news. Honestly we are getting so many midfielders coming through the academy it might be smart to focus on players other than midfielders in the national draft.

Really good news. Honestly we are getting so many midfielders coming through the academy it might be smart to focus on players other than midfielders in the national draft.

I agree, probably should have done more in the recent draft about that too. Anyway, we're going to have our draft dictated by other clubs for the next couple of years - I'd expect this years first round and next years first and second picks to be dealt to us by other teams bidding on academy players and Dunkley.

Does the trade window happen after F/S and academy bidding? Either way I can see us offloading some mid to high range talent to keep us active in the first few rounds over the next couple of seasons

........ Does the trade window happen after F/S and academy bidding? Either way I can see us offloading some mid to high range talent to keep us active in the first few rounds over the next couple of seasons

F/S and Academy bidding is done on the first Monday morning of the trade period. That is so all the committments made to use picks on F/S and Academy players are "quarantined" from being able to be traded. Agree that if Heeney/Dunkley and Mills keep progressing as expected (and as we hope) then we are highly likely to be committing first and second round picks to secure them, particularly given our likely high finish in the next two years meaning we will be holding late teens and late thirties ND picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back