Preview Official Thread - Round 1 - Melbourne v Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fairly early call for us to have downhill skaters, these guys usually show up during a loss, hopefully we don't find out for a few rounds.

Thought I'd throw some highlights together.

3 from Rocky
[youtube]nj40z2f7xhk[/youtube]

3 from Jimmy
[youtube]pmbvkZlzQHk[/youtube]

2 from Toddy
[youtube]SZ4ZOEnPpfc[/youtube]

Unstoppable Leuey
[youtube]z-magTUr5QU[/youtube]

A ripper from Ashley
[youtube]Wq-vszs5CEc[/youtube]

And both from Hanley
[youtube]8T9LvnJrDMI[/youtube]

Great start to the season today boys. Really happy Lions Fan!

Kudos to the Coaching Team for their somewhat criticised selections. Kept the faith and it showed on field! Great stuff.

We looked really well organised and very disciplined. Ben Hudson and Claye Beams were highlights for me.

As for Blacky - he continues to amaze me and all Lions fans. Love him!!!

Great support for the boys today too and congratulations to all at the club for bringing back that Fitzroy feel again! Really promising stuff.

Looking forward to Thursday night and our first home game.

Go Lions!

Was a great game today, and was truly a team performance with everyone pulling their weight.

I did think that one of the interesting comments made during the call was that how much they liked our young midfield group, however that we can't afford for any of them to be out.

Unfortunately I think that they are right. Something that shone our for me today though was how different each of our young mids are, and how good of a unit they make - very promising for the future.

I'm a little confused though in the role that Voss wants Lester to play, I agree that he looked a bit lost, but I don't know what he was meant to be doing. Game time at any position won't hurt him but it would be good if he could settle into.

Great game, lets hope we can raise the bar again on Thursday night.

Think Lester got a little lost with Rocky being our main target, just changed the structure of our forward line so he wasn't able to settle in anywhere. I think being a traditional 3rd tall forward is a role that comes to him more naturally. As we weren't really playing that role tonight, he was a little lost.

Not since the 2009 semi have we seen a match thread get to the 1000 post.

Carry on!!

Also forgot to mention Pierce Hanley today - he did the number 11 proud that was worn by his fellow Irishman.

Have to say if he was playing for a Melbourne based team he would get far more attention for the standard of football he has been playing - absolutely sensational.

Thanks GG for the highlights - great stuff!

Just watched the press conferences from Vossy and Neeld. Gee the Journos ask some dumb questions. Just one thing on Melbourne is I think they really just have no leadership at all in their side. Trengrove and Grimes are good young players with leadership attributes but should not be captains at this stage. You look at the Lions team who have plenty of leaders all over the field.

Just watched the press conferences from Vossy and Neeld. Gee the Journos ask some dumb questions. Just one thing on Melbourne is I think they really just have no leadership at all in their side. Trengrove and Grimes are good young players with leadership attributes but should not be captains at this stage. You look at the Lions team who have plenty of leaders all over the field.

Chance of grabbing a link to the press conference for Vossy? The one on the AFL website keeps directing to the Melbourne press conference.

Chance of grabbing a link to the press conference for Vossy? The one on the AFL website keeps directing to the Melbourne press conference.

Yep, infuriating me.

I had my own game of footy today whilst the Lions were on, I was getting regular score checks from water boys :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Look forward to watching the replay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I questioned the team selection! (Eats humble pie)
I questioned how many games Voss had left as coach (More humble pie)
I questioned our forward entry plan (ditto)
My only saving grace was to acknowledge that we were some way towards the future with our midfielders mainly.
As they say, fools (like me) and children should not be allowed to see anything half-built.

was anyone on this board part of the group of loud and proud Roys fans down

at the Cricketers Arms after the game? What a great atmosphere it was down

there, with about ten renditions of the song being belted out by the faithful!

The melb fans were not impressed!

I'm pleased that we were a lot smarter with our ball movement. To have this quick ball movement that we want, you need strong forwards who can take a grab, and you need a top work rate from the mids to push forward and get open to give options, and we got this. But more importantly, we didn't constantly blaze away. As a team, we need to learn to hold the ball sometimes, go short and just hold possession. Think your way through the zone and try move the ball closer to goals until worse case senario, you kick it deep inside 50.

I wonder if the lack of bombing it to the square was due to the midfielders lowering the eyes or having Merrett leading instead of Clark standing still.

It is amazing how much easier footy is when you are getting your hands on it first at the clearance. We were so organised with clear zones Hudson and Luey were hitting to, our players seemed to be constantly on the move at stoppages.

Looking forward to really having a crack at Carlton. Regardless of the result I just want to see our boys continuing to play as one unit.

watching the replay thins morning that I IQ'd on Fox! I feel like we havent had a win like this in a long time!

Sunshine and a great win @ the MCG hasnt happened since the 03 GF. Or it feels like that anyway!

Also thoroughly enjoyed giving it to Mitch while he was in the goal square!

Hope we can back it up on Thursday night!

GO LIONS!!!!!!!!:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back