List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Zac Smith traded for picks 49 and 53

Do we want Zac Smith at the Cattery?

• Yes

Votes: 199 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it depends whether it is ours or not. This pick isn't ours. We would definitely banned from trading our pick.

That being said, the paperwork might not be lodged and it could actually be a 3 way trade.

Can't move our own but other teams picks we are able to shop

Fair enough. I assumed that might be it but then again it sort of becomes ours once it's traded to us which is confusing.

I'm excited if this gets the Smith deal done.

Smith's best is off the charts in comparison to Walker though. Like, Smith has shown up the likes of Mumford and Jacobs, not to mention some of the more average rucks in the game. Walker's played some good games and we can see the potential there which is very promising. Smith has it all but he is simply inconsistent and struggled with different injuries along the way.

Pretty big wraps Bobby. So you think he can be the genuine number 1 ruck we've been searching for since Ottens?

@AFLTradeWhisper: Suns are quietly fuming over Zac Smith's plans to leave. Seen as a leader. Suns feel slighted after nurturing him and aiding his rehab.
Suns feel "slighted" losing someone they'd nurtured? Pot calling the kettle black?

I didn't think we could on-trade another future round pick because we had already spent our first for Henderson. I thought the only way we could get that trade done was to have the Walker/Jansen trade directly involved with the Smith trade where Brisbane would pass that pick to GC. Am I missing something?

It's not ours to begin with, so we can trade it

I actually think the Smith call was his best one. It was well prior to the speculation about Smith joining Geelong and he kept mentioning Smith rather than other available ruckmen such as Luey. Luey would be the logical target for most people who are guessing as he was a free agent. Geelong, with Smith also being from WA, was hardly a favourite or even likely to land Smith when Mahlepi said it. It came out as true and I think you'll find Mahlepi flagging Geelong's interest in Smith over Luey and co was well before the public speculation.
That's a fair call. That was reported quite early and it looks as though we will get him.

Is that actually possible?

" If a club trades a future first-round selection, it may not trade any other future selection from that same draft. But if a club keeps its future first-round selection, it can trade any of its future selections from other rounds."

how does this work with future picks received after you've already traded out your future 1st rounder ?

The pick was not ours, therefore we can on-trade.

That's why GWS and GC are getting as many 3rd rounders as possible, will be used next year for their academy players

Is that actually possible?

" If a club trades a future first-round selection, it may not trade any other future selection from that same draft. But if a club keeps its future first-round selection, it can trade any of its future selections from other rounds."

how does this work with future picks received after you've already traded out your future 1st rounder ?
Because it isn't our pick. We can't trade our pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty big wraps Bobby. So you think he can be the genuine number 1 ruck we've been searching for since Ottens?
its not that big a wrap. Even Simpson has shown up Jacobs (on more than one occasion) and Mumford before further injury. The question for Smith is can he do it post his injury from 2014 and consistently.

@AFLTradeWhisper: Suns are quietly fuming over Zac Smith's plans to leave. Seen as a leader. Suns feel slighted after nurturing him and aiding his rehab.
That reads like some BF crap given how they are happy to facilitate a move and not looking for much.

Wouldn't at all suprise me if he doesn't enjoy the behavior of some there (given his religious views) and the Suns respect that and are happy to do the right thing by him

Of course that is also just my take and likely off the mark

I hope we either sign a mature ruck like Jamar or we hire a ruck coach again Smith and Stanley have loads of potential. But I think they would really benefit from having a mentor/teacher to sound off and learn some more tricks and ruck skills.
Not to mention How much it'd benefit our young rucks in Lucey and Read who are both on rookie lists.

Suns feel "slighted" losing someone they'd nurtured? Pot calling the kettle black?

The Suns are getting a bit of their own medicine now that clubs are taking players off them
I cannot say that I really feel for them at this time.

The Suns are getting a bit of their own medicine now that clubs are taking players off them
I cannot say that I really feel for them at this time.

It's just a negotiating tactic, jeez they've known he's been gone since June, when they started whispering about wanting a 1st rounder from Essendon.

Think its safe to say it will be smith for the 3rd rounder on traded.

I'm feeling very relaxed about these deals. I've no idea where we're going to finish next year but I'm confident we'll give all teams a moment of pause.

Also I think its fair to say that we've managed to turn ourselves into a destination club, people want to play for. This will bear more fruit in the long-run than any individual trade. The whole FA and future picks thing has changed the paradigm of how we should recruit. IWWT, there will only ever be one 1st year of trading future picks. I feel like we've traded very well out of it. Reality is any high picks we bought in right now are likely to be waiting back in the cue for years as we wait for players like Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Guthrie, Caddy, Motlop, Lang, Thurlow, Cockatoo, Gregson, Blicavs, etc to retire. You could probably add more names and I haven't included any KPP. So trading this years pick and next years 1st will do limited damage in the long run as those players might have just requested to leave for limited opportunities anyway.

Excuse my ignorance, but if Walker and Jansen are gone for a future third round pick what do we have left to get a player like Smith?
Would we on trade the future third round pick?

edit: I think the post above may have just answered that question.

What an extraordinary suggestion, you really do bring them from left field.

I really was not sure what we had left in store to trade with Fred.
And I did preface the post by "Excuse my ignorance".

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Zac Smith traded for picks 49 and 53

Back