OKFL - PRE Season 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute ripper of a game out at Milawa - well done Blacks, showed a lot of heart to win with basically no bench in second half. Rousing speech from Benny Wapling at 3q time seemed to have the desired effect.
At one stage (early in the third I think) I thought Milawa was going to run away with it - Sims was back to his best. But Brushie Haebich was sensational, and had plenty of mates.
Will have reports on all matches in Monday's Chronicle.

Apparently ground was very hard slim spoke to a few of your boys who were pretty sore your opinion? Does anyone else have any reports on games?? how did numbers look for most sides??

Numbers out at Swanpool are looking fantastic... yesterdays seniors game was an excellent test and encounter for our young side but we really threw it up to those guys! the scoreboard doesnt reflect the game... it was tough, physical but most of all alot of fun. for the amount of talent that has left over the pre season we were happy with how the boys played! we set our sights during the week on coming within 250 points of a solid O&K team and we got done by 199... id say we came away with the 4 points on the day with our efforts.

Numbers out at Swanpool are looking fantastic... yesterdays seniors game was an excellent test and encounter for our young side but we really threw it up to those guys! the scoreboard doesnt reflect the game... it was tough, physical but most of all alot of fun. for the amount of talent that has left over the pre season we were happy with how the boys played! we set our sights during the week on coming within 250 points of a solid O&K team and we got done by 199... id say we came away with the 4 points on the day with our efforts.

Swansong the sooner swanpool fold the better!

King Valley looked good early against Greta, but in the end I think the Blues had a bit too much run across the ground.
A few players from both sides were cramping, but the hardness at the ball from Greta, especially through Pete Clarke and Chris Sherratt, was a shining light.

The King Valley reserves will struggle big time in my opinion. They only had 5 players out on the ground when the Greta 2's ran out of the rooms. Very disappointing.
Was talking to a couple of the senior reserves players and they were saying that they had a commitment from at least 12-15 on Thursday night at training and only had 8 turn up in the end.
Greta had 23, so gave them 4-5, and a few old heads also pulled on the blue and white stripes so a game could take place.

Let's just say Slim that HE was challenged in the ruck by the Blues "second string" ruckman :eek:

King Valley looked good early against Greta, but in the end I think the Blues had a bit too much run across the ground.
A few players from both sides were cramping, but the hardness at the ball from Greta, especially through Pete Clarke and Chris Sherratt, was a shining light.

The King Valley reserves will struggle big time in my opinion. They only had 5 players out on the ground when the Greta 2's ran out of the rooms. Very disappointing.
Was talking to a couple of the senior reserves players and they were saying that they had a commitment from at least 12-15 on Thursday night at training and only had 8 turn up in the end.
Greta had 23, so gave them 4-5, and a few old heads also pulled on the blue and white stripes so a game could take place.

Let's just say Slim that HE was challenged in the ruck by the Blues "second string" ruckman :eek:

Knowing how humble HE is I'm guessing HE was trying build the other young fellow's sense of self worth....Truely an amazing man..:):):eek:

Can anyone fill me in on the forfeit rule, I was told on Saturday that if a team forfeited 3 times during the season then the O&K board will request an explanation and if unsatisfied they have the power to withdraw that side from the league. I was told this is why we gave King Valley so many players in the reserves. If this is the case then it looks like KV and Bright are in danger of being asked to leave. Any truth in this?

How was the general standard of umpiring on Sat ( putting all biases aside ). Overall our wasn't too bad, got left bewildered a couple of times but they went both ways....

How was the general standard of umpiring on Sat ( putting all biases aside ). Overall our wasn't too bad, got left bewildered a couple of times but they went both ways....
This is all I'll say Slim:
When you have a 22 year old central umpire correctly over-ruling a "senior" umpire from over 50m away on two occasions (and no, he wasn't blind sided), there's a little left to be desired...

When you have a 22 year old central umpire correctly over-ruling a "senior" umpire from over 50m away on two occasions (and no, he wasn't blind sided), there's a little left to be desired...

agreed. thought a couple of the fans were going to jump the fence when joey perkins nearly lost his head and the second umpire had to call it from 50m away. combined with the disappointment of having the first round being a "scrap match" in the two's, was quite the aggravating day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TGN I looked up who your umpires were and I think the senior, as in age, of the two was a boundary or stick waver last year or the year before so he may be relatively new with the whistle.....

Not sticking up for him but the reason I asked the question is that we were warned early that the standard of umpiring may be below what we've been used to due to the lack of no's in the ranks and that at some stage we may be asked to supply club umpires in the snrs if the no's drop even further. Imagine the shit fights that would bring about.:D:D...

I guess it's something we're going to have to live with...

Absolute ripper of a game out at Milawa - well done Blacks, showed a lot of heart to win with basically no bench in second half. Rousing speech from Benny Wapling at 3q time seemed to have the desired effect.
At one stage (early in the third I think) I thought Milawa was going to run away with it - Sims was back to his best. But Brushie Haebich was sensational, and had plenty of mates.
Will have reports on all matches in Monday's Chronicle.
Great coverage for the opening round Nonch, however I think you had forgotton 2 sides for the week. King Valley & Greta got a 1 line write up on Friday and didn't even get mentioned in Monday's paper.

TGN I looked up who your umpires were and I think the senior, as in age, of the two was a boundary or stick waver last year or the year before so he may be relatively new with the whistle.....

Not sticking up for him but the reason I asked the question is that we were warned early that the standard of umpiring may be below what we've been used to due to the lack of no's in the ranks and that at some stage we may be asked to supply club umpires in the snrs if the no's drop even further. Imagine the shit fights that would bring about.:D:D...

I guess it's something we're going to have to live with...
Fair enough Slim. It is getting to a critical stage with senior umpires in the area. Is the $ up to scratch, or do you think it is the abuse they cop on match day (and on this forum)?

The best senior umpires explain why/why not a decision was made, even though they don't have to. At least it clarifies what they were thinking at the contest.

A perfect example in the seniors was a couple of years ago. An opposition player claimed he was taken high. The central umpire said "It probably happened, but I didn't see it". The player just got on with it. If the umpire didn't see it, he can't pay it.

I've found that magoos club umpires are very good at this and I would encourage the senior umpires to do the same. I'd also encourage the senior umpires to seek captain's/coaches advice at the breaks to clarify any dodgy decisions or to raise any concerns. That way it doesn't continue to simmer for the rest of the match. After all, they are men.

TenGoalsNine
Official Peace Maker
O&KFL

Great coverage for the opening round Nonch, however I think you had forgotton 2 sides for the week. King Valley & Greta got a 1 line write up on Friday and didn't even get mentioned in Monday's paper.

Hey pliz, now you know how we used to feel.........:D:

Fair enough Slim. It is getting to a critical stage with senior umpires in the area. Is the $ up to scratch, or do you think it is the abuse they cop on match day (and on this forum)?
The best senior umpires explain why/why not a decision was made, even though they don't have to. At least it clarifies what they were thinking at the contest.

A perfect example in the seniors was a couple of years ago. An opposition player claimed he was taken high. The central umpire said "It probably happened, but I didn't see it". The player just got on with it. If the umpire didn't see it, he can't pay it.

I've found that magoos club umpires are very good at this and I would encourage the senior umpires to do the same. I'd also encourage the senior umpires to seek captain's/coaches advice at the breaks to clarify any dodgy decisions or to raise any concerns. That way it doesn't continue to simmer for the rest of the match. After all, they are men.

TenGoalsNine
Official Peace Maker
O&KFL

I reckon the answer lies in the abuse from both sides of the fence ( and on forums) and you're right, the better umpires do communicate well.......

Went and had a look at Bright V Doon on Saturday, absolute cracking day and equally good game. Bright forfeited in the 2's as only about 7 made the long trek over. Disappointing indeed as Doon had a full quota. Atleast a scratch match was played to fill in the time.

1's was a good game, Bright got the flyer and kicked the first 6 goals of the day before Doon steadied to be only 2 goals down at qtr time. For the next 2 quarters it was a real arm wrestle, at one stage in the 3rd Bright were about 10pts down and limited bench and out on their feet but fought back to take a 7 pt lead at the last change. Doon quickly kicked a couple to go about 2 goals clear before the Mt Men got one back and then had a chance to take the lead but the shot fell short and Doon went forward and kicked the sealer. Good contest

Doon will struggle without a recognised Ruckman but have plenty of runners and classy forward line. Some new players Vasey from the Amo's and Green from Darwin impressed. Will be hard to beat at home.

Bright was good, their better players Nutter and Cade, Ben Jones, Ryan Kemp led by example. Had some players playing injured due to lack of a bench and player shortages. Not sure how many they have to return but will give most a run for their money. Got some good kids coming through, the full backline was real good. with a bit of luck could have stolen the points.

Yeah Pliz I'm a bit disappointed in myself after that effort - didn't realise until after the paper came out on Monday that I'd completely forgotten that game. The same thing nearly happened on Friday too! Must have been some kind of mental block. Oh well, at least it's only round one - still a bit rusty, obviously;) Unfortunately you're unlikely to have match of the round this week though...

Did any one see the North Wang Vs Moyhu game? Are North wang much improved or just a big hype over nothing or where the Moyhu boys a little underdone apparently they were missing Sullivan, Balfour and Van Der Heyden...??

Did any one see the North Wang Vs Moyhu game? Are North wang much improved or just a big hype over nothing or where the Moyhu boys a little underdone apparently they were missing Sullivan, Balfour and Van Der Heyden...??

Was david Steere in attendance, did he address the players in the rooms?.

JS didn't Van der Heyden play in the two's.......I also heard a rumour some where that Balf wasn't playing...Dunno if there's any truth in it...

Hi guys and girls, i'm new to the forum but thought i would let you know that we will be pushing for top 4 this year. With the recruiting we have done in the of season we will be up there. We were very dissapointed to not come away with the chocolates against Glenrowan on staurday, but it was a well fought out game and we had many positives to come out of it. Just remember you heard it here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back