mad dog muir

Debutant
Jan 22, 2005
hamley bridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
sainters
I,m intrested to see the views of members on here on their views on past surburban grounds eg-Moorabbin,Whitten Oval,Windy Hill etc.
What were the best grounds as regards facilities,atmosphere,viewing and parking.
I,m stuck in SA and have only seen these ovals since they have stop playing games on them.Would be intrested!:)

Best overall - the Junction Oval in St Kilda great playing surface and good spectator facilities,carparking and PT access

I was a regular at Windy Hill during the 1980s. Very different to modern-day grounds.
On the eastern side were 3 grandstands - the WS Cookson Stand, the Alan T Hird Stand and the RS Reynolds Stand. Each of them had seating for about 1,500. Another grandstand behind the goals at the northern end was the RF Showers Stand. Between them, they cover about 1/3 of the way around the ground, with the remainder being standing room.
It had a good atmosphere when it got going, but the facilities were far inferior to what we've become used to now. Standing room, an old wind-up scoreboard with no big screen, hardly any toilets & catering outlets, much less corporate facilities, 22,000 capacity.
Windy Hill holds great memories, but Essendon and football outgrew it. Moving away, first to the MCG and then to Docklands, was a change for the better.

For AFL/VFL Premiership points, I only ever got to Kardinia, Linton St, Vic Park, Windy Hill, Western Oval(Whitten Oval), The GABBA, SCG, Princess park, MCG and Waverley and Id say that Princess Park was the best of the suburban grounds purely for accesiable reasons and for watching the footy.

The worst would have been Vic Park closely followed by Western Oval, while The Gabba would be rated #2 right behind the MCG overall.

The Gabba is a fantastic stadium to watch the footy at.

Johnson#26 said:
Waverley lacked atmosphere, but still was a decent place - it was a love it or hate it situation.

Victoria Park speaks for itself.
Went there a few times before I moved up to Queensland I thought it had a great atmosphere....

Victoria Park along with Arden Street and Moorabin look very ordinary on the vault.

I must say I went to Princes Park a few times, great atmosphere and ideal positioning.

My first game ever was at the old Western Oval; $2 entry...you dont get that these days...

As a Dogs fans the most fun I had at the footy was standing behind the goals at the scoreboard end of the Western Oval when I was a kid. It was pretty dirty and didn't always smell the best, but the atmosphere was awesome and the footy played was real, tough footy. And at half time we'd go to the rocks down near the dunnies and find little skinks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Old Ovals!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back