Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

They know he's the cat's pyjamas mate.. they know he's the cat's pyjamas.. they know.. they know.. but they just wanna make out as if he's just a cardie.. so they can go out and party.. and get out the Baccardi.. with Peter Riccardi.. shifty buggers mate.. shifty buggers mate.

P25.. not happening mate.. not happening.

Last edited:
Thats a fair call and maybe the reason this gets held up. If Collingwood and Geelongs valuation of him is very different it makes a deal hard. Given Collingwood has been very open in saying we want a 1st hopefully Geelong has been open with Ollie and he knows if it comes to the crunch they wont value him that highly and will walk away from the deal and look again in the future

Would be a mature take between 2 clubs who seem to have been reasonable with trades in the past.

Keep Ollie in the loop, he knows why the deal didnt get done and signs with Pies for 1-2 years and it all gets revisited after that. Would be a satisfactory outcome where hopefully Ollie is disappointed but understanding and gets stuck in at the Pies and makes himself very attractive to whichever club scores his next contract.
I think it's highly optimistic to think he signs on.

They know he's the cat's pyjamas mate.. they know he's the cat's pyjamas.. they know.. they know.. but they just wanna make out as is he's just a cardie.. so they can go and have a Baccardi.. with Peter Riccardi.. shifty buggers mate.. shifty buggers mate.

are all 20,000 of your posts like this?? fair effort mate

Which of your players are on $450k? Is Ollie worth more than Hawkins pa? Stop deflecting like it’s Collingwood’s fault or it’s our salary cap that is the reason for Henry wanting to leave.

Doesn’t really matter what the reason is. I’d assume there isn’t just one reason.

No idea who’s on what but I know we have a comparatively flat wage structure compared to most clubs.

I would think it's very apparent by now that the Cats don't value Henry as much as people here do. If they thought he was worth a 1st, they would have paid it.

I think they value him around 20-25 personally but the F1 was never on the table, not because they want to win the trade or get him for unders, but purely because we have a list strategy to replenish the team with youth as we start to ramp up the retirements over the next few years and we need to have picks, or trade assets in each off-season.
Everyone, including the Cats, value him as a first rounder. The fact he’s out of contract and the Cats know they can try getting him cheaper is the issue. Nothing more, nothing else - everything else is just noise.

Everyone, including the Cats, value him as a first rounder. The fact he’s out of contract and the Cats know they can try getting him cheaper is the issue. Nothing more, nothing else - everything else is just noise.
we honestly do not. He has legitimate concerns over his current deficiencies if he will be able to fix them up and make it at the level.

for henry it is not about improving his strengths and going on an upward trajectory, what he lacks sometimes players just either thrive or don't thrive...

some players are unable to develop large enough aerobic capacities, which is a huge concern for henry. Some players also struggle to read the play and get involved defensively up the field, especially the inbetweener marking HF types... menzel is probably the closest example i can think of to henry.

This is not a go at his talent, he is just in an awkward spot talent and development wise where you can easily see him becoming a bust and not coming on in several key areas that are non-negotiable as a deficiency.

They know he's the cat's pyjamas mate.. they know he's the cat's pyjamas.. they know.. they know.. but they just wanna make out as is he's just a cardie.. so they can go and have a Baccardi.. with Peter Riccardi.. shifty buggers mate.. shifty buggers mate.

Not sure if you’re Matt Rendell or a beat poet…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, you’re right. He’s not worth anything like him. What did you offer for Ball?
Mate stop playing dumb and deflecting. I’m talking about the stage in their careers when the trades happened. We’re giving Grundy away for pick 27 after you paid for Bruhn with pick 18 - it’s like comparing apples with oranges. Stop being silly because you know no two trades are the same.

Two days to go and Mackie may have egg on his face, but Collingwood might have the entire omelette. Unfortunately Geelong should simply pull the pin on this trade as it's almost impossible to satisy the Pies demands. I feel for Ollie Henry, but he'll get a contract at the Pies and can make another play for a trade in a couple of years if he wants too. Geelong may have made a huge mistake with that Brisbane pick swap, something extraordianry would have to happen now for this deal to go through. I think it might be dead in the water.

Two days to go and Mackie may have egg on his face, but Collingwood might have the entire omelette. Unfortunately Geelong should simply pull the pin on this trade as it's almost impossible to satisy the Pies demands. I feel for Ollie Henry, but he'll get a contract at the Pies and can make another play for a trade in a couple of years if he wants too. Geelong may have made a huge mistake with that Brisbane pick swap, something extraordianry would have to happen now for this deal to go through. I think it might be dead in the water.
If the club ends up finishing top four again, i don't think the trade is a bad one as it would be something like a bunch of picks this year we wouldn't use anyway, with our second next year ( something like 30-35 after usual bids etc etc) for this years 25 and we get to keep next years first.

not really as bad as some are making out

we honestly do not. He has legitimate concerns over his current deficiencies if he will be able to fix them up and make it at the level.

for henry it is not about improving his strengths and going on an upward trajectory, what he lacks sometimes players just either thrive or don't thrive...

some players are unable to develop large enough aerobic capacities, which is a huge concern for henry. Some players also struggle to read the play and get involved defensively up the field, especially the inbetweener marking HF types... menzel is probably the closest example i can think of to henry.

This is not a go at his talent, he is just in an awkward spot talent and development wise where you can easily see him becoming a bust and not coming on in several key areas that are non-negotiable as a deficiency.
Appreciate the well thought out response.

You’re right in that there are opportunities, but same will be said about every single forward his age, whether it’s Harry Jones, JUH or Rachele - the ceiling for Henry is well above average for a 189cm forward his age, and exposed form shows he does the hard stuff as a forward with ease (hands/marking/reading the flight), but does need to work on other aspects of his game as you mentioned.

I still think he is worth a first rounder, but respect your view that there are opportunities for him to get better.

Losing Esava, a versatile KPF/Ruck, to get Henry is the smart thing to do.

Said no one.

It might have been a mistake but wouldn't be the worst top pick up a couple of development kpds at 25 and 33 and trade for Henry next year when we actually have a spot for him

Appreciate the well thought out response.

You’re right in that there are opportunities, but same will be said about every single forward his age, whether it’s Harry Jones, JUH or Rachele - the ceiling for Henry is well above average for a 189cm forward his age, and exposed form shows he does the hard stuff as a forward with ease (hands/marking/reading the flight), but does need to work on other aspects of his game as you mentioned.

I still think he is worth a first rounder, but respect your view that there are opportunities for him to get better.
he reminds me alot of daniel menzel, and if you recall menzel he was an immense talent. Just was never able to develop a tank big enough to get up and down the ground and struggled to become an involved player around the contests as well as doing the defensive harrassing stuff.

I see legitimate concerns over Ollie being able to develop his defensive game and tank to an elite AFL level, as well as his ability to read the general play and become a extra midfield link up type.

best way to describe a player like that is they can become a key forward trapped in a medium forwards body... they are very talented and skilled, but they need to add more bows to their string at that size and reinvent their game a little to make it elite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back