Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Except for the convenient requirement he has placed on his head that he is only willing to play for Geelong. Which is a condition Ball never set, nor a condition that anyone should be able to demand via a draft system
Ball put 2 years $1m contract on his head, knowing no club would have the space to take him except for Collingwood.

Similarly, Ollie won't flat out say "I'll only play for Geelong", but there are a number of other ways to make that feeling known.

As of right now we wouldn't spend an ND pick on Henry (hopefully...) because we don't have a pick in between 3 and 40.

No problems - just trying to wind up Collingwood supporters :) I'm not fussed if another team tries to pick Henry before we do if he is in the ND - he'll try to move in 2024 regardless, and that is when we'll need him more as Hawkins may be done (or closer to it)

I'd prefer that, if another team picks Henry up for a year in the ND, it isn't North, because I'd rather they get their players to commit and build with the team.

But you see the logic flaw right?

Regardless of whether you keep or lose Henry you are delisting a player. It’s either to keep Henry, or use on pick 25.
Depends on players in and players out. If we lose Henry we might still only have to use 1 pick and 2 rookie upgrades. (3 picks) or 1 pick, 1 upgrade (Noble will be done) and 1 rookie selection. We need to balance ins and outs.

In examples 1 and 2 we trade Henry for picks 25 and 33

Example 1:
Outs: Henry, Grundy, Roughhead, T Brown, C Brown, McMahon, Chugg
Ins: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell (pick 27), Carmichael*, Hayes (linked to), pick 16,

In this case we have not used pick 25, 33 (possible pick up), 41 50, 51

Example 2:
Outs: Henry, Grundy, Roughhead, T Brown, C Brown, McMahon, Chugg, Madgen(not yet delisted)
Ins: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell (pick 41+ 50), Carmichael, pick 16, rookie selection, pick 25

In this case we don't use pick 27, 33, 41, , 51 (not that much difference between 27 and 25)
But we did use 25 instead of Madgen who is still on the list.

Or we can try to keep Henry but lose him in the national draft see examples 3 and 4

Example 3:
Ins: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell (picks 41+ 50), Carmichael, pick 16 and pick 27

Dont use 51.

Example 4:
uts: Henry, Grundy, Roughhead, T Brown, C Brown, McMahon, Chugg
Ins: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell (pick 27), Carmichael, pick 16, Ruckman (Hayes)

Dont use 41, 50 and 51.

* Carmichael took up a spot midseason so we need to free up another spot. Me representing him as an in shows this.

Does it make more sense now? Ins need to balance outs.

ND contracts only 2 years for players who have never been drafted before.

OH will nominate a 1 year deal (probably at overs) to ensure another club doesn't take the risk of drafting him.

Unfair? Maybe, but them's the breaks.

It should be noted that Collingwood themselves used this exact same strategy to get Luke Ball in the ND, so they can't exactly cry foul.
How much overs can Henry put on his head? It's not like Geelong are flush with cap space.

While going to the ND is more likely to work than not, it is still bit of a risk.

A club who has plenty of space in their salary cap may decide to pick him up if there is no better option. They may figure if he still wants out by the end of next season then they can trade with Geelong so no great loss if he does go.

Will be interesting to see how this goes as there is only one example in the past where this happened and they got to the club they want (Luke Ball). There is also Stevens who ended up at Carlton instead of Collingwood as his preferred destination, but that was through the PSD though.

There isn't really a large sample size of it getting this far.

Geelong’s trade period made so much sense at the start, 1 first and 1 future first for Henry and bruhn. Both players worth it, both players tapped up and keen to get there. Should have been done easy in the first few days.
We were giving a future pick to GC, so by AFL rules, could not trade our FR1.

Plus we need that to pay unders for someone next year.

Let's see them.
Didn't realise you didn't have access to the internet.

Henry battled homesickness this year, struggled to settle into Melbourne life and on Tuesday informed the club he did not want to re-sign a one-year deal at Collingwood, which on Tuesday traded out superstar ruckman Brodie Grundy to Melbourne for pick 27.

Depends on players in and players out. If we lose Henry we might still only have to use 1 pick and 2 rookie upgrades. (3 picks) or 1 pick, 1 upgrade (Noble will be done) and 1 rookie selection. We need to balance ins and outs.

In examples 1 and 2 we trade Henry for picks 25 and 33

Example 1:
Ins: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell (pick 27), Carmichael*, Hayes (linked to), pick 16,

In this case we have not used pick 25, 33 (possible pick up), 41 50, 51

Example 2:
Outs: Henry, Grundy, Roughhead, T Brown, C Brown, McMahon, Chugg, Madgen(not yet delisted)
Ins: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell (pick 41+ 50), Carmichael, pick 16, rookie selection, pick 25

In this case we don't use pick 27, 33, 41, , 51 (not that much difference between 27 and 25)
But we did use 25 instead of Madgen who is still on the list.

Or we can try to keep Henry but lose him in the national draft see examples 3 and 4

Example 3:
Ins: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell (picks 41+ 50), Carmichael, pick 16 and pick 27

Dont use 51.

Example 4:
uts: Henry, Grundy, Roughhead, T Brown, C Brown, McMahon, Chugg
Ins: Frampton, Hill, McStay, Mitchell (pick 27), Carmichael, pick 16, Ruckman (Hayes)

Dont use 41, 50 and 51.

* Carmichael took up a spot midseason so we need to free up another spot. Me representing him as an in shows this.

Does it make more sense now? Ins need to balance outs.

Yeah, if you alter the scenario and get multiple picks for Henry or trade multiple late picks for Mitchell. You can make it sound plausible. Neither appear all that likely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really. I'd back the system. If he's the most talented on the board, you take him.
If you’re going to spin lies to change clubs you can’t have four different lies like Henry’s camp is putting up.
1. No opportunity to play blah blah (McStay) 2. Not offering enough money 3. I’m so homesick half an hour from mumma 4. Now I want to play with my brother as I miss him too and 5. Will be I’m missing out on free dental, home land packages and free meat from the butchers.

Geelong’s trade period made so much sense at the start, 1 first and 1 future first for Henry and bruhn. Both players worth it, both players tapped up and keen to get there. Should have been done easy in the first few days.
How dare you be negative about Jesus aka Mackattack

I don't know why the managers carry on with their justifications. I can't imagine them impacting Wright's decisions. Just say he wants to play for Geelong rather than giving fuel for him to be ridiculed with.
Yeah, it's just embarrassing at this stage.

Yeah, if you alter the scenario and get multiple picks for Henry or trade multiple late picks for Mitchell. You can make it sound plausible. Neither appear all that likely.
Examples 1 and 4 both have Mitchell going for pick 27. In one we get pick 25 for Henry in the other we lose him for nothing. In both cases we come out with the same selections in the ND. Why is that not plausible? Hawks supporters suggest pick 27 is fair for Mitchell. Whos to say if we rate our current listed players better then pick 25 (im ignoring pic 33). We will have to delist more to use it. Its not rocket science.

If seems pretty childish and overly emotional. The toys are out of the cot.
The manager is a buffoon for letting it get to this. If he had half a brain he wouldn't have let anyone know Ollie's draft intentions until the last second if it was necessary so there's an amicable trade. But he's clearly told the Cats from the get go, otherwise this was done and dusted really early for a future first with heaps less backlash against his client and no bridges burnt in an incestuous industry where Collingwood staff are likely to be Geelong staff at some stage.

If you’re going to spin lies to change clubs you can’t have four different lies like Henry’s camp is putting up.
1. No opportunity to play blah blah (McStay) 2. Not offering enough money 3. I’m so homesick half an hour from mumma 4. Now I want to play with my brother as I miss him too and 5. Will be I’m missing out on free dental, home land packages and free meat from the butchers.

It’s the ultimate bet each way except it’s a bet 5 ways lol. I’d have much more respect if he was honest just tell us the one reason Ollie!

Melbournians when they want to pay out Geelong:
"Haha middle of nowhere boganville corio lol!!!11!!"

Melbournians when a talented kid wants to go home to Geelong:
"20 minutes down the road sooky la la kid cry more sad kid don't play professional sport, get off your mums tit etc. etc."

I moved from the inner Northern suburbs of Melbourne last year to the Surf Coast and there is a HUGE difference in lifestyle. Who can blame the kid for wanting to move to Geelong, especially when his family and friends are down here.
Exactly…people love to sook about Geelong, and for a whole variety of reason, some even complete conspiracies.

I look at blokes like Michael Turner, and what he does to create a culture from a very young age.
I wish my club could emulate people like that developing players for my club.

The manager is a buffoon for letting it get to this. If he had half a brain he wouldn't have let anyone know Ollie's draft intentions until the last second if it was necessary so there's an amicable trade. But he's clearly told the Cats from the get go, otherwise this was done and dusted really early for a future first with heaps less backlash against his client.
The manager should have told the pies that he is happy to go into the ND and at the same time told the Cats he is happy to sign a 1 year deal if it doesnt get done in trade week. That way the deal most likely gets done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Ollie Henry - Traded to Geelong as part of a reported 3-way deal (details tbc)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back