Operation get a ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

Good points but still baffles me why we couldn't get 1 or more of our midfielders roving to Warnock
Yeah normally we can be pretty good at doing that, but at some of the stoppages Warnock was getting such a clear swing at the ball he was really able to put it straight to their midfielders with a deft tap which would have been hard to read.

Make no mistake I love Ivan, he is such a heart and soul player, but I don't think he has the natural ability to be our next premiership ruckman.

FWIW i see Andrew Browne won the EDFL Best & Fairest. .... Good to see he didn't sulk and obviously played good footy to win it, well done. ...... wonder if anyone looking for a backup ruckman would be interested.

NO - SPUD

The only way i would consider him is if he was similar to Aaron Edwards type trade or direct swap for McGuane ------------------ You need a foward :p

McGane is as good a foward as Hampson is a ruck
Fair enough - output to date has been no where near good enough, hence you can get him cheaper than what Jacobs cost Adel; late 2nd/early 3rd rounder.

Reckon he's a much better ruck than fwd, although this isn't saying much...

Hampson is the one I would be after - wouldnt cost a 1st rounder like Longer which means we could still have a crack at Adams.

Hammer is worth a punt hes very athletic and can actually jump

Has been very inconsistant but has shown he can play and a change of clubs mite see him realise his potential imo.

Game was lost in the ruck. Need more than a chop out for Ivan, he needs to be replaced. Our midfielders had no chance today

Guess they had no chance against West Coast earlier in the year either then.
Maric has rucked 90% of the time all year. He is tired and injured and has to go up against two of them. Also the game was definitely not lost in the ruck.

Is he any good though?

I think so, he has got a lot more opportunity at North Ballarat since Stephenson went into the AFL but he is around 90kg atm, he put on about 8kg from memory the last pre-season so he is still two pre-seasons from getting to a body size that will allow him to compete around the ground.

He was able to beat Currie and Daw when our two affiliates met each other a while ago because the game wasn't overly congested and there wasn't as much around the ground ruckwork required as there typically is in VFL games.

In terms of his technique, it is very good. He doesn't have Goldy's endurance or strength atm but he works a lot with him and is modelling himself on the way he plays. He works hard on second and third efforts and goes in pretty hard at contests, doesn't just contest the ruck contest then do nothing like some ruckmen.

The question mark over all lighter ruckmen is always how they cope when they put around 30kg on their frame, a lot of them brake down. So far he has done okay but he is going to want to be around 105kg so he wont just get pushed around, Hille who is a pretty beefy lad was pushing him around too much at his present weight.

I think so, he has got a lot more opportunity at North Ballarat since Stephenson went into the AFL but he is around 90kg atm, he put on about 8kg from memory the last pre-season so he is still two pre-seasons from getting to a body size that will allow him to compete around the ground.

He was able to beat Currie and Daw when our two affiliates met each other a while ago because the game wasn't overly congested and there wasn't as much around the ground ruckwork required as there typically is in VFL games.

In terms of his technique, it is very good. He doesn't have Goldy's endurance or strength atm but he works a lot with him and is modelling himself on the way he plays. He works hard on second and third efforts and goes in pretty hard at contests, doesn't just contest the ruck contest then do nothing like some ruckmen.

The question mark over all lighter ruckmen is always how they cope when they put around 30kg on their frame, a lot of them brake down. So far he has done okay but he is going to want to be around 105kg so he wont just get pushed around, Hille who is a pretty beefy lad was pushing him around too much at his present weight.

Thanks for that. Appreciate the insight. Any idea what North would want for him?

Guess they had no chance against West Coast earlier in the year either then.
Maric has rucked 90% of the time all year. He is tired and injured and has to go up against two of them. Also the game was definitely not lost in the ruck.
Goldstein and Minson ruck the entire game for their teams and they will probably be all australian. In terms of time in the ruck Maric gets more of a chop out than a lot of other ruckmen in the league do.

That game against West Coast was just another example of why we need to get a ruck upgrade. It was 80 hitouts to 20 and our midfielders did brilliantly to set up and rove to the opposition ruckmen, but they wont be able to do that every game and they shouldn't have to, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up.

Warnock was handing the ball to his midfielders yesterday, there is only so much our midfielders can do to stop that. If you don't think we got destroyed in the ruck yesterday you surely weren't watching the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for that. Appreciate the insight. Any idea what North would want for him?

Hard to say, a lot depends on what level of interest there is in him, we have 3 clubs chasing Luke Delaney so that makes it harder for someone to get him on the low band of his market value.

If there wasn't much interest in Mabon and we were happy to let him go I wouldn't be surprised if we exchanged him for some pick swapping to upgrade some picks we would use in the draft. A lot depends on the depth of talent in the draft, last year it wasn't so hot, probably get a better idea after the combine.

I really like Mabon but he is too close to the age of Goldy, Currie and Daw, if he is ready to go in a year or two then we just aren't going to push Goldy out of the way for him. It really comes down to if we decide to keep him for depth/insurance and if he is happy to hang around given he would be given more opportunity somewhere else.

In our experience ruckmen tend to opt for more security and opportunity, so a lot will depend on if Richmond rate him or not.

Hard to say, a lot depends on what level of interest there is in him, we have 3 clubs chasing Luke Delaney so that makes it harder for someone to get him on the low band of his market value.

If there wasn't much interest in Mabon and we were happy to let him go I wouldn't be surprised if we exchanged him for some pick swapping to upgrade some picks we would use in the draft. A lot depends on the depth of talent in the draft, last year it wasn't so hot, probably get a better idea after the combine.

I really like Mabon but he is too close to the age of Goldy, Currie and Daw, if he is ready to go in a year or two then we just aren't going to push Goldy out of the way for him. It really comes down to if we decide to keep him for depth/insurance and if he is happy to hang around given he would be given more opportunity somewhere else.

In our experience ruckmen tend to opt for more security and opportunity, so a lot will depend on if Richmond rate him or not.

Cheers for that. Might be a viable option to try develop.

Cheers for that. Might be a viable option to try develop.

No worries, generally speaking we do a pretty good job of producing ruckmen, Hale was a third or fourth string ruckman for us who is Hawthorn's #1 ruck, I think we have always had a good stock of ruck prospects so they help eachother develop pretty well, been a long time since we developed a mug ruckman.

Hammer is worth a punt hes very athletic and can actually jump

Has been very inconsistant but has shown he can play and a change of clubs mite see him realise his potential imo.

..i don't mind Hampson, not a natural footballer but does have athletic ability.. ..rucking tapwork is under-rated actually, and last season had kicked 20g. 4b by the midway mark playing the 2nd ruck/kpf role.. ..his main problem has been inconsistency in regards to stringing a lot of consecutive games together at senior level.. ..injury niggles, has done a PCL this year and last year which also hasn't helped him.. ..but i think he'd be cheap to trade in, and contract $$ wise too i assume.. ..in the last few years when he's had senior games in succession, has shown steady improvement.. ..like plenty of rucks, a slow developer [was a soccer player as a kid as well, so started as a project type], but he'd benefit from getting regular senior gametime.. ..can be spud'ish at times sure [so many rucks have their moments], but he's a player that can upside, just hard to see him achieving it with us..

..i don't mind Hampson, not a natural footballer but does have athletic ability.. ..rucking tapwork is under-rated actually, and last season had kicked 20g. 4b by the midway mark playing the 2nd ruck/kpf role.. ..his main problem has been inconsistency in regards to stringing a lot of consecutive games together at senior level.. ..injury niggles, has done a PCL this year and last year which also hasn't helped him.. ..but i think he'd be cheap to trade in, and contract $$ wise too i assume.. ..in the last few years when he's had senior games in succession, has shown steady improvement.. ..like plenty of rucks, a slow developer [was a soccer player as a kid as well, so started as a project type], but he'd benefit from getting regular senior gametime.. ..can be spud'ish at times sure [so many rucks have their moments], but he's a player that can upside, just hard to see him achieving it with us..

Thanks for that mate, I am a big fan of Hammer, not so much on recent form but on potential.

He would be a great fit for us, putting pressure on both Ty and Maric. His injury woes would be my only concern.

2nd or 3rd rounder and pretty low wage I reckon would get it done.

I think its time we ceased this "get back up" shit. Lets just get someone who can push Ivan to keep the no 1 possy. Not having a go at Ivan whatsoever with that. But when we have the scenario where his spot as no 1 is threatened, tipping he will get better and we will get better, because that means Ty needs to pull his finger out of his arse and do away with "i am developing" excuse and step up and throw the dice and put his talent to the test as well, because a resting Ivan in the FL, for the amount of times he has been down there is ****ing lightyears ahead of the stuff that Ty has produced, especially in the heavy work dept. **** if TY dont take a mark, or if his opponent doesnt stumble and fall, his is by and large totally ****ing useless and the ball comes back out like its been fired from a slingshot. And apart from 1 the other day, he continues to be totally ineffectual in a contested mark situation ;)

I think its time we ceased this "get back up" shit. Lets just get someone who can push Ivan to keep the no 1 possy. Not having a go at Ivan whatsoever with that. But when we have the scenario where his spot as no 1 is threatened, tipping he will get better and we will get better, because that means Ty needs to pull his finger out of his arse and do away with "i am developing" excuse and step up and throw the dice and put his talent to the test as well, because a resting Ivan in the FL, for the amount of times he has been down there is ******* lightyears ahead of the stuff that Ty has produced, especially in the heavy work dept. ;)

So in effect we agree :D

Hampson is the one I would be after - wouldnt cost a 1st rounder like Longer which means we could still have a crack at Adams.

Yep agree. Reckon there is plenty of upside there. And id love it all the more to see him kick a bag against Carlton :D

But in reality hes in the right age bracket to have a breakout season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Operation get a ruckman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back