List Mgmt. Operation "Get Scharenberg"

Remove this Banner Ad

The O'Rourke trade last year would probably be the best measuring stick. The Hawks gave up their first pick (19) as well as a slight downgrade on their second pick.

Agreed, O'Rourke is the measuring stick. Pick 2 traded for pick 19 after 50/50 injury/game time.

I'd be doing this:

Brisbane
Out: 11 (our first pick)
In: Aish + Pick 21 (their 2nd round pick after GCS compensation pick)

Collingwood
Out: Pick 21 + Henderson
In: Scharenburg

When he was drafted at 6 there were question marks about his feet. Those questions are no longer there. He is worth at the very least your first round pick and IMO you would be getting a bargain.

I don't see any logical way you could argue he's increased in value. He was drafted, barely played and is now uncontracted and will name a specific club.

I think the best we could realistically do would be Henderson and our second.

essendon are number 1, but collingwood are probably number 2
I think thats a myth to be honest. Probably born out of the Nick Stevens saga many moons ago. (Didak and a 1st round pick wasn't it? I think we were proved right on that one) We have a history of getting players where they want to go. The same will happen with Scharanberg if he indeed does want to leave. Of course we will want the best return we can get, but we will get what is realistic. Whatever that is, we'll wait and see.

I think for every year a player misses through injury drops them 10 spots in the draft, home sickness drops them 5 if you're their home state. Scharenberg was taken at pick 6 + 15 for injury + 5 for homesickness = pick 27. James Aish was taken at pick 7 + 5 for injury + 5 for home sickness = pick 17.

Jake lever was a top 5 pick, missed a year (+10) we got him at 14.

And yet bombers trading has been terrible. The best traders are actually reasonably fair

The best traders are Hawthorn, who seem to be able to get the job done but after doing a shedload of homework.

Essendon trades like they're from BigFooty: "You want Jake Carlisle? The next John Coleman? Cough up pick 1. No, two pick 1s. No, make that three pick 1s, and Paddy Dangerfield and something to sweeten the deal. You know, like, Rory Sloane."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best traders are Hawthorn, who seem to be able to get the job done but after doing a shedload of homework.

Essendon trades like they're from BigFooty: "You want Jake Carlisle? The next John Coleman? Cough up pick 1. No, two pick 1s. No, make that three pick 1s, and Paddy Dangerfield and something to sweeten the deal. You know, like, Rory Sloane."

PlayStation trades.

Hel hopefully nominate us and say get a deal done. That leaves collingwood with little options. Theyl say first rd but we wont give it up. What players would pies be interested in? Mids.buckley loves mids.. And forwards. As a need with cloke on the way out. As much as i like lynch hel be in the mix and so will kerridge.

Hel hopefully nominate us and say get a deal done. That leaves collingwood with little options. Theyl say first rd but we wont give it up. What players would pies be interested in? Mids.buckley loves mids.. And forwards. As a need with cloke on the way out. As much as i like lynch hel be in the mix and so will kerridge.
Kerridge + 2nd for Scharenberg…where do we sign?!

I think for every year a player misses through injury drops them 10 spots in the draft, home sickness drops them 5 if you're their home state. Scharenberg was taken at pick 6 + 15 for injury + 5 for homesickness = pick 27. James Aish was taken at pick 7 + 5 for injury + 5 for home sickness = pick 17.

Jake lever was a top 5 pick, missed a year (+10) we got him at 14.

Ok, Danger = pick 10 + 5 for being homesick. Also played 150 games, so career 1/2 over.
Pick 15 - 25 sound fair?

Ok, Danger = pick 10 + 5 for being homesick. Also played 150 games, so career 1/2 over.
Pick 15 - 25 sound fair?

Comedy gold.

There is a formula to calculate the worth of a free agent, and it doesn't look at their draft position. Once someone has been in the league for 3+ years, it is hardly relevant.

if you want to discount Scharenberg's draft position, he holds zero value, so you should cling to it.

somewhere from 15-20 seems fair to me for scharenberg. Altho in a shallow draft Pies may want a player like Kerridge or Hendo instead of a pick.

Pick 15 - 25 sound fair?
Were talking about unproven footballers, Scharenberg is still a risk that he might never be any better than average and may always be injured. There is next to 0 risk in patty Dangerfield you are guaranteed one of the top 5 players in the comp for 5 years plus. There's a good chance Scharenberg will never even be top 5 in his own team, let alone the AFL.

Would something like this work?

Adelaide 1st pick + Collingwood 2nd pick to GWS
Treloar to Collingwood
Scharenberg + Hampton/Wilson to Adelaide

So
Adelaide trade 1st for Scharenberg and Hampton/Wilson
Collingwood trade Scharenberg and 2nd for Treloar
GWS trade Treloar and Hampton/Wilson for Adelaide 1st and Collingwood 2nd
Pretty good but I think Collingwood are getting off a bit lightly and GWS would want a bit more.

I think thats a myth to be honest. Probably born out of the Nick Stevens saga many moons ago. (Didak and a 1st round pick wasn't it? I think we were proved right on that one) We have a history of getting players where they want to go. The same will happen with Scharanberg if he indeed does want to leave. Of course we will want the best return we can get, but we will get what is realistic. Whatever that is, we'll wait and see.

I think any team is somewhat difficult to deal with when they're being forced to trade a player that they want to keep. As is the case in any negotiation, the seller starts off with a high asking price, and the buyer responds with a low offer, with back and forth until a deal is struck somewhere in the middle.

Essendon are in a different realm altogether. They start off a with a ridiculous offer regardless of what side of the deal they're on, and that's generally where they stay. Although we did get Jenkins from them for a 10 pick downgrade, which is looking to be a hell of a bargain at present. They must have thought he was delist material.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Operation "Get Scharenberg"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back