Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Grim Reaper Geoff Walsh. I wonder if they will have to pay out TWO YEARS!
Wouldn't have been Walsh - he hasn't started there yet. A few years back the AFL issued an edict to the lesser clubs (ie. the ones who are the financial remoras of the league) that they could only sign coaches on contracts with a 6 month max payout. Guessing the Aints are one of them.

Wonder what their review said about the Head of Footy just promoted to CEO?

Rutts is not a bad coach. His record is no unreasonable. This is just bizarre.
There are far too many instances in the AFL ecosystem where contracts have been torn up just weeks or months after being written and it is absolutely perplexing. Collingwood are not exempt from this behavior either, which is frustrating. At least the contracts that Collingwood have 'torn up' have been after a senior football manager has been appointed and a new strategic direction has been developed. St Kilda are doing this stuff without accountability at the top level. Who would want to play there?!
Hey Abdul,
I tend to disagree with regards to Rutten not being a bad coach. I watched a few of their games, and their game plan was horrible. Short passes in the back half to contested possession was executed so often that it had to be part of the plan. They suffered from constant turnovers, and the risk was to no advantage apart from maintaining possession. This is something that the Pies never did. From the backline/midfield, we only passed short to players on a good lead or when they were free. The only time we turned it over was if we didnt see the opposition nearby , poor kicking, or the opposition was good enough to anticipate the pass, or a bit of all three. If we did make a dangerous short pass, it was to break the lines and form an attacking move. There was obvious reward for risk.
Loved watching Saints beat Carlton, but that was just pure luck and Blues poor kicking.

Sorry for my rambling. its just that i believe the saints had to get rid of Rutten, and find a better coach. Cant do anything about past mistakes (resigning the coach for 2 years midseason) , and better to try to resolve them as soon as possible. His sacking , i believe is a good move for the club.

I like the saints coz they're my best friends club and i wish them well.

So not a trade questions but what are the chances of Bucks being talked into the St Kilda coaching job now that Geoff Walsh is Exec GM of Football. He bloody loves Bucks and I could see it happening

So not a trade questions but what are the chances of Bucks being talked into the St Kilda coaching job now that Geoff Walsh is Exec GM of Football. He bloody loves Bucks and I could see it happening
I would hope Buckley is not silly enough to go to that basket case

Has said repeatedly he does not want coach but I reckon he will have a crack one day with a Gold Coast or even west coast or port. Just not a Vic team. Port could be likely actually as he had history there

was just wondering the same thing. My money is on James Hird, then Robert Harvey. neither makes sense but we are talking about ST Kilda

was just wondering the same thing. My money is on James Hird, then Robert Harvey. neither makes sense but we are talking about ST Kilda
Rumour is that Hayes is going to step in to the role.

The new St Kilda coach is walking into a side that could be anything. They aren't in the bottom four, but they also aren't in the eight. They aren't landing big names, they aren't losing too many players. St Kilda has to clean up its finances or else it just won't survive. It's not a side that has a huge following and needs to work on its brand to rebuild towards success. A flag in the next five years could deliver them a Western Bulldogs resurgence but sustained success is critical.

Reckon if the Saints have a bad year, we should look at trying to lure one or two of their stars out of RSEA Park.

On another front Walshy really has turned into the grim reaper for coaches in recent times hasn't he...

Might as well start up a new "sack-a-coach" consultancy firm targeting jobs that are too difficult for club boards to do on their own...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon they are swooping on Yze whilst available… unless there’s a chance for Lyon to return!

Hey Abdul,
I tend to disagree with regards to Rutten not being a bad coach. I watched a few of their games, and their game plan was horrible. Short passes in the back half to contested possession was executed so often that it had to be part of the plan. They suffered from constant turnovers, and the risk was to no advantage apart from maintaining possession. This is something that the Pies never did. From the backline/midfield, we only passed short to players on a good lead or when they were free. The only time we turned it over was if we didnt see the opposition nearby , poor kicking, or the opposition was good enough to anticipate the pass, or a bit of all three. If we did make a dangerous short pass, it was to break the lines and form an attacking move. There was obvious reward for risk.
Loved watching Saints beat Carlton, but that was just pure luck and Blues poor kicking.

Sorry for my rambling. its just that i believe the saints had to get rid of Rutten, and find a better coach. Cant do anything about past mistakes (resigning the coach for 2 years midseason) , and better to try to resolve them as soon as possible. His sacking , i believe is a good move for the club.

I like the saints coz they're my best friends club and i wish them well.
Hey, happy to hear opposite opinions. For clarity my comment about Ratten was more holistic in that his win/loss record is reasonable over his career. His recent record with the Saints might have been below his average but he has sufficient goals on the board to justify the contract extension, in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back