Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting perspective from journalist David Penberthy…

I grew up in an Aussie Rules state and still follow the game. But the older and more politically incorrect I get, the more I find myself being drawn to the bogan authenticity of the NRL.

Unlike the AFL, the NRL has not confused itself with being a preachy vehicle for social change. The NRL knows it is a football code and acts accordingly.

While the NRL focuses on playing footy the way it has always been played, the AFL busies itself thinking of new ways to change the rules of the game and new ways to change society.

NRL Vegas round is a stellar example of a brand that knows what it is and is really leaning into it.

This is the sporting equivalent of those genuinely excellent “I Don’t Care” KFC advertisements, proudly selling a salty, fatty product as an illicit thrill on the grounds that life’s short and you might as well have some fun while it lasts, even if a regular three-piece feed hastens your meeting with your maker.

The AFL in contrast has been overrun by worriers and straighteners. In trying to render the world a perfect place it also invites accusations of hypocrisy.

Under the AFL’s bizarre illicit drug rules every player at the Greater Western Sydney Football Club could have gone on a 15-day cocaine bender and none of us would be any the wiser.

In contrast, GWS has been thrust into the headlines over a ribald party which was probably as offensive as those bad taste parties many of us attended in the 1980s and 1990s.

An important caveat here.

What some of those GWS players did was not just dopey, but really quite appalling.

It was especially appalling given that GWS had taken the commendable step early this year of staging an in-house presentation by the important organisation Our Watch to make them aware of issues surrounding violence against women and how such violence cannot be trivialised.

Against that backdrop, the club itself (which staged the private event) was right to haul them up over their conduct, which I am sure they all now regret deeply and sincerely.

But here’s where things get weird. With typical self-importance the AFL comes charging in on its white steed and turns the whole thing into some tiered fines fiasco, as per a melee on match day, meting out punishments which invite ridicule.

Blokes being tut-tutted for making gallows humour gags about September 11 (whatever) and Toby Greene being punished for (shock horror) going dressed as the hapless hip-hopper RayGun, as if this was some moral breach in his role as captain. (In passing I would note that Toby Greene seems to be punished annually simply for being Toby Greene.)

It is only a few weeks since the AFL hit Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley with a fine for impersonating an aeroplane in some pointed post-match banter against Hawthorn.

What a po-faced bit of nonsense that was.

People like passion. People also do stupid things. The AFL has gone to war against passion, lest things get out of hand, and believes first-offence stupidity by the young should result in fines and public shaming.

Even when what we are ultimately talking about are misguided attempts at humour by young people who didn’t think things through.

Well, don’t despair, the AFL’s newly formed bad comedy unit is on standby to act against offending material.

Different, though, if you go out after a game and get smashed and wasted on booze and drugs and are found asleep in a nightclub. You’re free to play the following week.

Article in part courtesy of the Herald Sun.

I grew up in an Aussie Rules state and still follow the game. But the older and more politically incorrect I get, the more I find myself being drawn to the bogan authenticity of the NRL.

Unlike the AFL, the NRL has not confused itself with being a preachy vehicle for social change. The NRL knows it is a football code and acts accordingly.

While the NRL focuses on playing footy the way it has always been played, the AFL busies itself thinking of new ways to change the rules of the game and new ways to change society.

NRL Vegas round is a stellar example of a brand that knows what it is and is really leaning into it.

This is the sporting equivalent of those genuinely excellent “I Don’t Care” KFC advertisements, proudly selling a salty, fatty product as an illicit thrill on the grounds that life’s short and you might as well have some fun while it lasts, even if a regular three-piece feed hastens your meeting with your maker.

The AFL in contrast has been overrun by worriers and straighteners. In trying to render the world a perfect place it also invites accusations of hypocrisy.

Under the AFL’s bizarre illicit drug rules every player at the Greater Western Sydney Football Club could have gone on a 15-day cocaine bender and none of us would be any the wiser.

In contrast, GWS has been thrust into the headlines over a ribald party which was probably as offensive as those bad taste parties many of us attended in the 1980s and 1990s.

What some of those GWS players did was not just dopey, but really quite appalling.

It was especially appalling given that GWS had taken the commendable step early this year of staging an in-house presentation by the important organisation Our Watch to make them aware of issues surrounding violence against women and how such violence cannot be trivialised.

Against that backdrop, the club itself (which staged the private event) was right to haul them up over their conduct, which I am sure they all now regret deeply and sincerely.

But here’s where things get weird. With typical self-importance the AFL comes charging in on its white steed and turns the whole thing into some tiered fines fiasco, as per a melee on match day, meting out punishments which invite ridicule.

Blokes being tut-tutted for making gallows humour gags about September 11 (whatever) and Toby Greene being punished for (shock horror) going dressed as the hapless hip-hopper RayGun, as if this was some moral breach in his role as captain. (In passing I would note that Toby Greene seems to be punished annually simply for being Toby Greene.)

It is only a few weeks since the AFL hit Port Adelaide coach Ken Hinkley with a fine for impersonating an aeroplane in some pointed post-match banter against Hawthorn.

People like passion. People also do stupid things. The AFL has gone to war against passion, lest things get out of hand, and believes first-offence stupidity by the young should result in fines and public shaming.

Even when what we are ultimately talking about are misguided attempts at humour by young people who didn’t think things through.

Well, don’t despair, the AFL’s newly formed bad comedy unit is on standby to act against offending material.

Different, though, if you go out after a game and get smashed and wasted on booze and drugs and are found asleep in a nightclub. You’re free to play the following week.

Makes some good points about the AFL overall but the GWS stuff was more than "misguided attempts at humour".

It was stellar offensive to be condemned outright.

Weren’t GWS championing men’s mental health a couple of years ago? Classic case of “if it doesn’t affect me it’s funny”, but if it affects them personally then it’s the most serious thing ever and we should all advocate for it 🤣

A couple of things with that:

A) AFL are described as galavanting in on their white steed, but the reality is much more likely that a complaint was made to GWS, who forwarded it to the AFL integrity unit. Clubs are much better off having the AFL deal with this stuff than dealing with it themselves. I think it's a win for the club to not be the judge and jury of this conduct.

B) The stuff about rule changes. The reality is that NRL rules, like soccer, have stood up well to tactical advances, without the game changing that much. Rugby Union and AFL - not so much. So you're looking at a very different game than it was without the rule changes.

Look at atrocities the US war machine has caused. Coming to a dress up in Army is deemed OK though.
Fat Jesus, I pray our Father forgive us for we know not what we do; if it were only that simple.

I guess you've indirectly called me out, as a Veteran of the United States Army, and currently a contractor for the US Department of Defense, spanning the last three and a half decades of my life.
War is littered with atrocities and no country, especially my own, can claim they maintained their military discipline under the chaos of war where, more than anything, executing a plan is useless in battle due to the extreme number of variables. Initiative, in the end, governs all. In that spirit, there are many, who follow their orders to the letter, whom you've never heard of before. There are few, unfortunately, who are responsible for the atrocities and make the headlines. Nothing surprising about that, right? Unless your beliefs condemn an entire organization because of who is President, or what your political affiliation aligns closest to.

Perspective is 20/20. I can understand how it is that anything American in today's world is looked upon as questionable, if not negative. In this case, the Armed Forces, that's fine. But consider from this end that we see ourselves very differently. The US has seen itself as the leader of the free world and has committed to protect it, if necessary, by the War Machine we both know it is. In recent times, many of us older veterans see the children we are sending off to war and we shake our head. They're too young. They know nothing about the real world, not to mention themselves. They'll come back very different than when they left, if they come back at all. That's how it's been done for a long time, and they, their families and their communities are changed forever when impacted by war, regardless whether the Armchair Quarterback at the top of the Chain of Command orders it justly or not. But consider this. The Great Country of Australia and the US defenses, strategically, have been working together to improve alignment by working together both in Australia, as well as the US, from everything including training, military exercises, infrastructure improvements throughout Australia, doctrine improvements designed to align the US and Australia along with other partners New Zealand and Great Britain.

Whether we are discussing protecting our respective homeland, coming to the aid of a partner under siege or asking why we are turning plowshare into sword, these are important questions the people of our respective great nations need, and deserve, an honest response from their leaders who are ultimately accountable to those same people.

I joined the US Army, back in 1992, not to engage in war, but to protect those fighting on the front line through the intelligence world. It was a technical, analytical position which aligned with my engineering background of problem solving and came to love what I was doing. After four years, I left the service and became a contractor, doing the same stuff, but as an engineer. That part worked out for me, but I will always take pride in having served my country honorably, and did so with the intent to help my team on the battlefield and off. I was a regular soldier like the rest of them.

War isn't pretty and it's never done perfectly. You get the call, you respond, you rely on your teammates and leader, and you do as you are trained to do, as good as you can. But soldiers make mistakes. Leaders make mistakes. Even presidents make mistakes (NOTE: I didn't capitalize the "p" intentionally. Do I really need to explain why?).

It is easy to criticize on the other side of the world. It's far from easy when something you were once proud of has been made to look like a shambles on the international stage, in front of our enemies, no less.

Father, forgive me.

Peace.

Fat Jesus, I pray our Father forgive us for we know not what we do; if it were only that simple.

I guess you've indirectly called me out, as a Veteran of the United States Army, and currently a contractor for the US Department of Defense, spanning the last three and a half decades of my life.
War is littered with atrocities and no country, especially my own, can claim they maintained their military discipline under the chaos of war where, more than anything, executing a plan is useless in battle due to the extreme number of variables. Initiative, in the end, governs all. In that spirit, there are many, who follow their orders to the letter, whom you've never heard of before. There are few, unfortunately, who are responsible for the atrocities and make the headlines. Nothing surprising about that, right? Unless your beliefs condemn an entire organization because of who is President, or what your political affiliation aligns closest to.

Perspective is 20/20. I can understand how it is that anything American in today's world is looked upon as questionable, if not negative. In this case, the Armed Forces, that's fine. But consider from this end that we see ourselves very differently. The US has seen itself as the leader of the free world and has committed to protect it, if necessary, by the War Machine we both know it is. In recent times, many of us older veterans see the children we are sending off to war and we shake our head. They're too young. They know nothing about the real world, not to mention themselves. They'll come back very different than when they left, if they come back at all. That's how it's been done for a long time, and they, their families and their communities are changed forever when impacted by war, regardless whether the Armchair Quarterback at the top of the Chain of Command orders it justly or not. But consider this. The Great Country of Australia and the US defenses, strategically, have been working together to improve alignment by working together both in Australia, as well as the US, from everything including training, military exercises, infrastructure improvements throughout Australia, doctrine improvements designed to align the US and Australia along with other partners New Zealand and Great Britain.

Whether we are discussing protecting our respective homeland, coming to the aid of a partner under siege or asking why we are turning plowshare into sword, these are important questions the people of our respective great nations need, and deserve, an honest response from their leaders who are ultimately accountable to those same people.

I joined the US Army, back in 1992, not to engage in war, but to protect those fighting on the front line through the intelligence world. It was a technical, analytical position which aligned with my engineering background of problem solving and came to love what I was doing. After four years, I left the service and became a contractor, doing the same stuff, but as an engineer. That part worked out for me, but I will always take pride in having served my country honorably, and did so with the intent to help my team on the battlefield and off. I was a regular soldier like the rest of them.

War isn't pretty and it's never done perfectly. You get the call, you respond, you rely on your teammates and leader, and you do as you are trained to do, as good as you can. But soldiers make mistakes. Leaders make mistakes. Even presidents make mistakes (NOTE: I didn't capitalize the "p" intentionally. Do I really need to explain why?).

It is easy to criticize on the other side of the world. It's far from easy when something you were once proud of has been made to look like a shambles on the international stage, in front of our enemies, no less.

Father, forgive me.

Peace.
Good on you for your service. It's great to hear some real perspective and not one fooled by propaganda from 3rd world nations and religions whose goal is to destroy Western Civilisations .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Clubs News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back