Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the argument against a pre-finals bye as far as the prelim finals go - ie. the QF winners go bye-final-bye-final - but logic says it is actually a bonus in the GF if you are coming up against a team that has played three finals straight.

In short, STFU Longmire, you can’t blame the fixture for serving up that performance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yep. The prelim thing was looking a bit dodgy as teams who'd had the bye were starting slowly in their prelim, but this year they came out of the blocks really well - teams have adjusted and are preparing well - nothing to see here.

Still.

They are the biggest threath. Pies beat them when both teams were struggling, just that Pies was desperate for a win while Lions were in disarray with the Vegas scandal.
What about round 23? They were the inform team in the AFL desperate to make Top 4.

Longmire might be too intense for a modern day coach. Their players are all bound up on GF day.

Compare that to Fly and Fagan. They get the players relaxed and believing in themselves.
Agree - losing 4 in a row under one Coach points to an underlying problem.
His methods preparing for GF’s need scrutiny.

They're very sophisticated in the main thread. It's kind of scary...

Good to see the chad take his medicine and front up for interview....in fact, maybe he did take some after the match

Sorry I missed it with The Chad. Can you please elaborate?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The Leon Davis Medallist for worst on ground was won by Tom Papley

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longmire might be too intense for a modern day coach. Their players are all bound up on GF day.

Compare that to Fly and Fagan. They get the players relaxed and believing in themselves.

The articles on him this week may have highlighted something.
He kicked 2.8 in the last game of 1990 when needing 4 to reach 100.
Admitted the pressure got to him.
Maybe he is too highly strung.

Good point.

We were sitting very close to the Lions race, and at one stage during the pre-game stuff, quite a few Lions players came out onto the ground, near the race, talking and smiling - taking it all in. They looked very relaxed.

I didn’t see the same for the Swans - although I may have missed it - but it calls to mind the famous 2017 GF and the ridiculous Adelaide power stance. I recall the Richmond players laughing at them.

Strange club Adelaide. The power stance was followed by the even more infamous and ridiculous (and dangerous!) pre-season camp.

I wouldn't read much into the Hawk and Cats ones - they were much better teams. Nor would I read much into two games 8 years apart with very different playing groups.

I wouldn't read much into the Hawk and Cats ones - they were much better teams. Nor would I read much into two games 8 years apart with very different playing groups.
They duped us all with their outstanding form for most of the year but ultimately, they had holes which they couldn't cover when the real stuff started. Probably points to your assessment of how close the competition is atm. The flag is there for the taking next year if we can have a bit of luck

Their last 2 GFs have been shithouse mate. Hardly a whimper.

Like our crap effort in 2003 which was also against a better team.

Al this talk about the pre finals bye being a key factor in Sydney stinking it up on Grand Final day is a load of absolute garbage.

Yes it can be somewhat of a factor but when you look at the history of Grand Finals since its introduction in 2016 only twice has the top ranked team lost to a team that played 4 finals in that finals series.

Both times it was Sydney who finished top of the ladder and lost the Grand Final to the teams that finished 7th and 5th. If every other teams can win it us included then that tells me it’s not the pre finals bye that’s the issue, it’s John Longmire and the Sydney Swans that can’t rise to the occasion.

They duped us all with their outstanding form for most of the year but ultimately, they had holes which they couldn't cover when the real stuff started. Probably points to your assessment of how close the competition is atm. The flag is there for the taking next year if we can have a bit of luck
They're very reliant on a handful of stars. and other than MacCartin they're very ordinary in the air.

Al this talk about the pre finals bye being a key factor in Sydney stinking it up on Grand Final day is a load of absolute garbage.

Yes it can be somewhat of a factor but when you look at the history of Grand Finals since its introduction in 2016 only twice has the top ranked team lost to a team that played 4 finals in that finals series.

Both times it was Sydney who finished top of the ladder and lost the Grand Final to the teams that finished 7th and 5th. If every other teams can win it us included then that tells me it’s not the pre finals bye that’s the issue, it’s John Longmire and the Sydney Swans that can’t rise to the occasion.
It's certainly changed the environment for a side to win from outside top 4. Doesn't do much to favour the side that finishes on top like before it came in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Other Games Rolling Thread 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back