Opinion Our Day in Kangaroo Court - The Real Alberton Faithful 1870-2012 versus Ken Bloody Hinkley 2013-2023 … 2025? and his Enablers

Remove this Banner Ad

Get a life? I’ve been studying the replies to the OP, enjoying the variety, in a few cases adding names to my ignore list. But the ‘get a life’ suggestion, ‘kindly’ made, has me chuckling.

In a few weeks I’ll be 75. Not life enough? Perhaps not, still a few things to do. Win AFL Supercoach 2022 for a start. My team will be renamed ‘Russell Ebert Something’ this time.

Another poster has suggested I be a writer. Observant. I love writing. It’s a big part of the life I’ve lived. Two novels internationally published, the first in the late 1980s filling 674 pages with 270,000 words in paperback, reviewed by Publishers Weekly, Booklist, Yorkshire Post and South China Morning Post with ‘takes’ appearing on the cover of the sequel. Between 2001 and 2014 I earned a living researching, writing, editing, designing, producing illustrated corporate histories in coffee-table format for PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) China (270 plus pages), Hong Kong Football Club (three years full time, 6.5 days a week), Kellett International School (story told thru the eyes of the school mascot, a Chinese dragon), Hong Kong Country Club, (Royal) Hong Kong Golf Club. I was into the history of the company (est. 1866) that employed me between 1971 and 1987 when I suddenly got very tired of it all and handed over to a fellow historian to finish off.

That was when I concentrated on trying to advise Port Adelaide Football Club … as a volunteer. I was once offered by the Club a small gratuity, but turned it down. I’m glad I did. Would not be able to write about Ken Bloody Hinkley and his Enablers with a clear conscience if I hadn’t. What I did accept was a Bars lace-up made in China with the autographs of four Eberts - the Great Man, his son, his brother and his nephew. The HKFC had it framed for me. The memory, each time I look at it, is priceless … every time. Get a life. Okay.

View attachment 1297247
Your writing sounds fascinating- I‘ve always said the world needs more corporate coffee table books.

I know I should just scroll by and ignore but you’ve put a lot of work into this post. My two biggest takeaways. One, you really can’t forgive Ken for not wanting to sit next to you at dinner in Shanghai and for not wanting to be your buddy. Two, what‘s your problem with people from the country? Does it have something to do with your need to mention your ”corporate” years in Hong Kong? You make a lot of Jed Clampet style jokes about bumpkins and country life. Perhaps Ken’s vocabulary would be improved at the Kellett international school or by hanging out at the Hong Kong Golf and Country Club (which is a long bloody way from Alberton). Perhaps though, if he were that sort of person he’d be completely unrelatable to the majority of our players.

Im all for conversations about Ken’s coaching and how he leads our players and I’m looking forward to next season and talking about the game, but off season trash like this is just toxic.

I’m sorry he didn’t want to hold hands under the table that night. Maybe he‘s just not that into you - move on.

Sack Hinkley or don't but I wouldn't read too much into the senior coach of a professional sporting club being opposed to or even a bit terse at the prospect of being forced by admin to relocate football operations halfway across the world to a smog-ridden dog park mid-season. Not sure Clarkson or Buckley would have much appreciated the disruption either.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Sack Hinkley or don't but I wouldn't read too much into the senior coach of a professional sporting club being opposed to or even a bit terse at the prospect of being forced by admin to relocate football operations halfway across the world to a smog-ridden dog park mid-season. Not sure Clarkson or Buckley would have much appreciated the disruption either.

If you want to get paid $750k-$1m a year to coach a football club in a relative economic backwater then you actually might have to do stuff like that.

Alternatively he could go coach a big Victorian club. Oh that's right, none of them wanted him.

He should've taken the offer to coach at the SUNS. He could've got them to 10th place and they probably would've built a statue and named the B&F after him.

If you want to get paid $750k-$1m a year to coach a football club in a relative economic backwater then you actually might have to do stuff like that.

Says who? Other clubs in relative economic backwaters with less marketability, market share and recent success have managed to float to the surface in recent years without having to pack the caravan mid-year. Also bear in mind Ken was hired to coach a football club, not join an overseas trade and diplomacy enterprise, a completely different field of expertise and fundamentally counter-productive to his on-field aims.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% sack Hinkley after the last 13 years of on field failure just not sure he deserves to hang for not holding hands under the table or cozying his way into China with a great song and dance.

Last edited:
Says who? Other clubs in relative economic backwaters with less marketability, market share and recent success have managed to float to the surface in recent years without having to pack the caravan mid-year. Also bear in mind Ken was hired to coach a football club, not join an overseas trade and diplomacy enterprise, a completely different field of expertise and fundamentally counter-productive to his on-field aims.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% sack Hinkley after the last 13 years of on field failure just not sure he deserves to hang for not holding hands under the table or cozying his way into China with a great song and dance.

Carn. We pretty much have a new master plan presented at work every second year with marketing strategies, KPIs and desired outcomes mapped out.

As for diplomacy venture, he stood arrogantly leaning against the back wall, arms folded, scowling for an entire AGM. He's.rude.

Next business development plan meeting, i might just pull out the deck chair, hat and glasses if it doesn't suit me.

Carn. We pretty much have a new master plan presented at work every second year with marketing strategies, KPIs and desired outcomes mapped out.

As for diplomacy venture, he stood arrogantly leaning against the back wall, arms folded, scowling for an entire AGM. He's.rude.

Next business development plan meeting, i might just pull out the deck chair, hat and glasses if it doesn't suit me.
Was the Scowling Hinkley AGM the one in 2019 when the Co-captains issue was debated and Koch told the room it was a great move by the senior coach because the Swans have three captains?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was the Scowling Hinkley AGM the one in 2019 when the Co-captains issue was debated and Koch told the room it was a great move by the senior coach because the Swans have three captains?
That's up there with KT trying to soften up the members at the Inside Port Adelaide Live event for the inevitable co-captains announcement by saying that having a single captain wearing the #1 guernsey was an out of date fashion. :mad:

That's up there with KT trying to soften up the members at the Inside Port Adelaide Live event for the inevitable co-captains announcement by saying that having a single captain wearing the #1 guernsey was an out of date fashion. :mad:
Well, it was technically out of fashion at the time he said it … said fashion being decided at Alberton for that one-year interlude, only, by Haute Couture Hinkley visiting from high-fashion headquarters in far away Camperdown.

That Koch not only went along with it but championed the entire futile stunt - without a peep from anyone on the board of directors - adds to the all-encompassing Indictment they all should‘ve answered to by now, and which is the crux of this thread.

As for KT, he’s gone, and his meek acceptance, too, of this thankfully short-lived embarrassment - short-lived thanks to the Alberton Faithful & Co. - is just one indicator that he was post-2018 already out the door as a fully-paid non decision-maker and one of the blind mice when it came to reading the room.

Every time I remember the co-captains debacle I want everybody involved sacked. Just incredible that an idea which failed on every possible level ever went ahead.
KT: "Ken is adamant that co-captains give us the best chance of winning."

Narrator: "It didn't."

[crickets]

Every time I remember the co-captains debacle I want everybody involved sacked. Just incredible that an idea which failed on every possible level ever went ahead.

And it was something that once broken, could never be truly put back together. They broke a tradition on a whim. Pack of ****ing campaigners have alot to answer for.

I remember leaving that event absolutely boiling with rage knowing exactly what was coming. Probably a bit of a turning point for me at which I realised what we really are, culminating in me not renewing this year.

And it was something that once broken, could never be truly put back together. They broke a tradition on a whim. Pack of ******* campaigners have alot to answer for.
Not a whim so much as Hinkley deciding he needed to pull a stunt, something disruptive, to take our focus off of his disastrous end to season 2018. And they couldn’t see through it. And so they went along with it, to put an indelible stain on all of them, whether they are still there or not.

KT: "Ken is adamant that co-captains give us the best chance of winning."

Narrator: "It didn't."

[crickets]

Precisely one win less with co-captains and finished in tenth place for the second year in a row. People have been murdered for less.

Precisely one win less with co-captains and finished in tenth place for the second year in a row. People have been murdered for less.

Yeah but West Coast didn't complete the hat trick of after the siren wins against us, so who were the real winners?

Not a whim so much as Hinkley deciding he needed to pull a stunt, something disruptive, to take our focus off of his disastrous end to season 2018. And they couldn’t see through it. And so they went along with it, to put an indelible stain on all of them, whether they are still there or not.
If you needed proof that KT, Koch, and Hinkley didn't really get Port Adelaide this was Exhibit A.

If you needed proof that KT, Koch, and Hinkley didn't really get Port Adelaide this was Exhibit A.
It was the issue that destroyed my faith in KT.

When Hinkley came to him with the idea of co-captains KT should have knocked it on the head then and there. Instead he thought it sounded like a good idea and took it to the board who, led by Koch, approved it.

As you say, proof that all three simply don't get Port Adelaide. For Hinkley Port Adelaide is just a source of cash for him and his family and for Koch it is just a play thing that boosts his enormous ego. :mad:

Instead he thought it sounded like a good idea and took it to the board who, led by Koch, approved it.

I agree that KT is culpable but from what I've heard, he was very circumspect about it from the beginning.
Of the three of them, he is the one who would have understood the ramifications, which makes it even worse IMO.

Of all the failings of this group of ****nuts, this one was/is unforgivable. A flag doesn't even erase the stain.

We position ourselves as a club based on tradition and we let a pudgy little loser, with no idea about what that tradition actually means to the core PA supporter, destroy it as an experiment to try and help his boystown friendship club not feel so pressured. It produced nothing but angst from the supporters and almost lost us our only Brownlow medal winner. In fact it produced our lowest W count since 2016, a season where we lost two senior players due to the Essendon PED penalties. Great idea Kenny. ****ing bonza.

Should have been sacked at the end of 2019 along with KT because of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Our Day in Kangaroo Court - The Real Alberton Faithful 1870-2012 versus Ken Bloody Hinkley 2013-2023 … 2025? and his Enablers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back