List Mgmt. Our List 2014 - Trade, De-list and Draft - (keep it all in here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bootsma is getting there...

BTsWZwoCEAEB-ud.jpg

Bootsma will be a quality player for us throughout the next 10 or so years. Has footy smarts, is skillful and athletic.

Will back Buttifant to build him sufficiently over the pre-season to have an impact in 2014.

Bootsma will be a quality player for us throughout the next 10 or so years. Has footy smarts, is skillful and athletic.

Will back Buttifant to build him sufficiently over the pre-season to have an impact in 2014.

I am also backing Buttifant to help some of our 'athletic' type players to actually put on more muscle over the offseason and to actually look like footballers.

We should be building Bootsma with Fyfe as the prototype. It took 3+ years for Fyfe to put on 13kg''s and build his tank.

2 years to go for Project Boots to judge against that standard.

Potential elite wing?

We should be building Bootsma with Fyfe as the prototype. It took 3+ years for Fyfe to put on 13kg''s and build his tank.

Potential elite wing?
That's the position that both Ratts, Andy Mackay and MM have publicly stated they saw/see him playing.

I'm sorry but bad post. Sam was legitimately tearing it up in the SANFL. He was drawing comparisons to Jonno Brown, that's legitimately how good he was playing in that type of role. There were a lot of knowledgeable SA posters who were delighted to see him get a second chance at AFL football and some of whom were disappointed that it didn't happen at Adelaide or Port.

A lot of posters often complain that we don't take enough chances on guys in the state leagues. However, when we do it goes pear shaped. It was nobody's fault - nobody can predict someone getting cancer, certainly not the type that afflicted Sam anyway.

We will never truly know how good Sam Rowe may have been at Carlton. Sadly, cancer is one of those things that just destroys the human body even when you overcome it like he seemingly has. It takes years to recover - not just the twelve to eighteen months it took Sam to get back on the track playing. As someone who has survived cancer I find it astonishing that he came back to play VFL/AFL football and commend him.

Good post.

I think further evidence of the effect it's had on him is how he'd often come into the senior side, have a pretty good game and show quite a bit, then dramatically tail off in subsequent games. He just didn't have the petrol.

What's the deal with Thorp? I don't know anything about him..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Picked at six in his draft (one ahead of Joel Selwood) as a KPF by Hawthorn but suffered injuries and a poor attitude/big ego (he calls it immaturity) and was axed after two seasons. Played in the VFL and then moved back to his native Tasmania, joining South Launceston three years ago when it was a State League basket case getting flogged weekly. In his second year he took over as playing coach (aged 23) and took them up the ladder but not to finals. This year they lost only 3 games and romped to the flag. Thorp won the TSL best player award with daylight second and was runner up in the goal kicking.

I watched them play a few times this year. From what I observed and from what closer followers of the team than me also assert the game plan revolved around getting the ball to Thorp and was designed to get him another crack at the AFL. He was brutal with his own players and not particularly well liked, and despised by opposition fans and players alike. At his Grand Final victory speech the losing team (Burnie Dockers) refused to applaud.

So whether liked or not, captain coach of the premiers at 24 and clearly best player in the comp ticks boxes. But the level of the comp is sub VFL and he remains widely regarded as an egotistical tool.

Make of that what you will. I would rather we passed.

Good post.

I think further evidence of the effect it's had on him is how he'd often come into the senior side, have a pretty good game and show quite a bit, then dramatically tail off in subsequent games. He just didn't have the petrol.

This is what I noticed most about his season. He would come in, play a good game or two and then look like he was out on his feet before the end of the next match.

Logically, you have to assume that he is still not at 100% fitness. Everyone is different and no doubt his above-average fitness will have held him in good stead compared to average Joe trying to come back from cancer treatment, but hopefully after this pre-season he will be getting very close to (or at) the standard required. It makes sense that the club saw the potential for him to perform at the top level and so have extended his contract for another year to see what he can actually do with a full pre-season behind him. Fair enough too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potential elite wing?

Had never come up with the Fyfe comparison with Bootsma, but now that you mention it I can certainly see where you are coming from. Not convinced he has the natural skill of Fyfe, but I can certainly see him going through the midfield in the next couple of years.

Can see him becoming a very good wingman/HB/HF down the track.

Thorp would be a good get, maybe a 4th round pick or perhaps a 3rd round pick if the draft has run out by then would be a good result. I don't see him as a star but probably better than Rowe, Casboult and Hampson who IMO aren't going to make it.

This is what I noticed most about his season. He would come in, play a good game or two and then look like he was out on his feet before the end of the next match.

We'll ok, if it was health related fair enough. So we can expect some Jono Brown type work next year? Cos otherwise the nett effect is another list clogger.

I'm sorry but bad post. Sam was legitimately tearing it up in the SANFL. He was drawing comparisons to Jonno Brown, that's legitimately how good he was playing in that type of role. There were a lot of knowledgeable SA posters who were delighted to see him get a second chance at AFL football and some of whom were disappointed that it didn't happen at Adelaide or Port.

A lot of posters often complain that we don't take enough chances on guys in the state leagues. However, when we do it goes pear shaped. It was nobody's fault - nobody can predict someone getting cancer, certainly not the type that afflicted Sam anyway.

We will never truly know how good Sam Rowe may have been at Carlton. Sadly, cancer is one of those things that just destroys the human body even when you overcome it like he seemingly has. It takes years to recover - not just the twelve to eighteen months it took Sam to get back on the track playing. As someone who has survived cancer I find it astonishing that he came back to play VFL/AFL football and commend him.

Turn it up, compared to jono brown, the guy kicked 23 goals in 19 matches, was named in the best 6 times in his last season with Norwood. Hardly call the brown type football.

He is a great story from the cancer point of view, but his selection in the national draft is an embarrassment on the club, an embarrassment on ratten as a coach.

Our drafting in general is possibly the worst in the Afl, maybe slight exaggeration, but who was the last star we picked up who wasn't pick1? I'd say probably fevola. Had some solid picks, particularly via rookie draft, but no A graders.

Turn it up, compared to jono brown, the guy kicked 23 goals in 19 matches, was named in the best 6 times in his last season with Norwood. Hardly call the brown type football.

He is a great story from the cancer point of view, but his selection in the national draft is an embarrassment on the club, an embarrassment on ratten as a coach.

Our drafting in general is possibly the worst in the Afl, maybe slight exaggeration, but who was the last star we picked up who wasn't pick1? I'd say probably fevola. Had some solid picks, particularly via rookie draft, but no A graders.
Ummm let's see, off the top of my head, does Kade Simpson ring a bell??
Or is he over rated also??

Ummm let's see, off the top of my head, does Kade Simpson ring a bell??
Or is he over rated also??

I love kade Simpson, but A grader, wouldn't have thought so.

Problem with the carlton board, we over rate our own, but so happy to lip off about others. If Jessie white played at carlton he would be our next big hope, if casboult was at Richmond he'd be the worst player to ever hold a spot on an afl list.

I just get frustrated reading responses of others who feel the need to bag posters who actually talk some sense, not just talk dribble about how good our players are

Picked at six in his draft (one ahead of Joel Selwood) as a KPF by Hawthorn but suffered injuries and a poor attitude/big ego (he calls it immaturity) and was axed after two seasons. Played in the VFL and then moved back to his native Tasmania, joining South Launceston three years ago when it was a State League basket case getting flogged weekly. In his second year he took over as playing coach (aged 23) and took them up the ladder but not to finals. This year they lost only 3 games and romped to the flag. Thorp won the TSL best player award with daylight second and was runner up in the goal kicking.

I watched them play a few times this year. From what I observed and from what closer followers of the team than me also assert the game plan revolved around getting the ball to Thorp and was designed to get him another crack at the AFL. He was brutal with his own players and not particularly well liked, and despised by opposition fans and players alike. At his Grand Final victory speech the losing team (Burnie Dockers) refused to applaud.

So whether liked or not, captain coach of the premiers at 24 and clearly best player in the comp ticks boxes. But the level of the comp is sub VFL and he remains widely regarded as an egotistical tool.

Make of that what you will. I would rather we passed.

Narcissist.

Again someone fails to see the difference between good drafting & good development.

I refuse to accept that every pick we have made has been a bad pick, whilst every pick Geelong have made (just as an example) is a good pick. It's what you do with the kids when they get to the club that is the difference. Bearing in mind that prior to 2008 we didn't even have a development program & only in the last couple of years have we adequately staffed it (something we can still improve on by not having our development coaches doubling up as senior assistant coaches).

Geelong, Sydney, Collingwood, Hawthorn had development teams in place at a time when our club was more concerned about who should be on our board & who was leaking to the media & how we were going to pay the bills (& let's not even talk about the 1930s facilities our club was still using up until the recent years).

The kids we have drafted in the last couple of years have got more chance of succeeding than any of those taken in the years prior.

We'll ok, if it was health related fair enough. So we can expect some Jono Brown type work next year? Cos otherwise the nett effect is another list clogger.

Im not sure what we can expect, but if he is fit and doesn't deliver, he is a list clogger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back