Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

We have replaced the creative players like Edwards , Lambert , Cotchin and Dusty in the midfield with Hopper
And Taranto .
The balance is completely rooted .
Neither hopper or Taranto are great at release a player from stoppages , nor creative by hand or foot or got great pace .
If club continues with these two blokes playing excessive minutes within the midfield together our midfield is going to continue to got smoked .
Players like Sonsie , Shai , baker and even Cotchin who can actually hurt the opposition from stoppages must play more midfield minutes .
Bolton at the moment could not his the side of a barn with his disposal (let alone shoot for goal), and other senior players being ill disciplined are greater concerns than Hopper or Taranto who have played a total of 5 games for the club

We have replaced the creative players like Edwards , Lambert , Cotchin and Dusty in the midfield with Hopper
And Taranto .
The balance is completely rooted .
Neither hopper or Taranto are great at release a player from stoppages , nor creative by hand or foot or got great pace .
If club continues with these two blokes playing excessive minutes within the midfield together our midfield is going to continue to got smoked .
Players like Sonsie , Shai , baker and even Cotchin who can actually hurt the opposition from stoppages must play more midfield minutes .

You’re reading Taranto and Hopper wrong. Their release hands are elite. Some of their in close work is very good BUT I will say I don’t think we can play the two of them and Prestia at the same time. Need a Bolton or a Sonsie type that the inside mids can release the ball to and break away. Prestia looks like he may be playing a different role at stoppages because his positioning is all wrong. If you don’t know what I mean watch the very first CB of the game.
Our balance is off in there

The biggest issue with our midfield is that we're trying to get players to adjust to a combination of new teammates and new roles.

Taranto & Hopper are the new 1 & 2 midfield options with Prestia & Bolton now the 3rd & 4th option with Cotchin playing as the 5th option with Martin & Baker rounding out the centre square starters.

The mix is off kilter as Taranto Hopper & Prestia starting in the middle give us 3 similar types who all thrive being in close at the fall of the ball. Taranto is clearly our number 1 clearance midfielder with Hopper Prestia and Cotchin seemingly playing as the defensive mids at the centre bounces, but given more licence to fight for possession at around the ground stoppages.

Where we've looked our most dynamic is when we have had Bolton in there with 2 of Taranto/Hopper/Prestia/Cotchin, who can use his speed and creativity to break into space away from the contest. The problem is at present Prestia is one of our best players still, but he doesn't really have an alternative position to go to so we need to play him through the middle as long as possible before he gets a rest usually on the bench. Cotchin is the same, he generally comes off the bench replaces Prestia in the rotation and the same issue persists.

For mine we need to inject more creative types with speed into the mix, but how do we do that? The only way would be to omit one or both of Cotchin or Prestia and neither are deserving of that as it stands, but with neither really capable of playing an alternative position and there not being many other options available, how long will that remain the case?

The biggest issue with our midfield is that we're trying to get players to adjust to a combination of new teammates and new roles.

Taranto & Hopper are the new 1 & 2 midfield options with Prestia & Bolton now the 3rd & 4th option with Cotchin playin as the 5th option with Martin & Baker rounding out the centre square starters.

The mix is off kilter as Taranto Hopper & Prestia starting in the middle give us 3 similar types who all thrive being in close at the fall of the ball. Taranto is clearly our number 1 clearance midfielder with Hopper Prestia and Cotchin seemingly playing as the defensive mids at the centre bounces, but given more licence to fight for possession at around the ground stoppages.

Where we've looked our most dynamic is when we have had Bolton in there with 2 of Taranto/Hopper/Prestia/Cotchin, who can use his speed and creativity to break into space away from the contest. The problem is at present Prestia is one of our best players still, but he doesn't really have an alternative position to go to so we need to play him through the middle as long as possible before he gets a rest usually on the bench. Cotchin is the same, he generally comes off the bench replaces Prestia in the rotation and the same issue persists.

For mine we need to inject more creative types with speed into the mix, but how do we do that? The only way would be to omit one or both of Cotchin or Prestia and neither are deserving of that as it stands, but with neither really capable of playing an alternative position and there not being many other options available, how long will that remain the case?
I respectfully disagree on your belief on the way players play or are being played and it’s not necessarily a knock
on any of them as all can be utilised to their strengths.
When you consider positioning of midfielders IMO key things to Consider .
Agility , strength in contest/ability to win or equal , burst from clearance . Additional to that is ability to block which I think all
Players have equal ability .
IMO I’d rank our midfield group in those areas.

Agility .
Bolton
Baker
Cotchin
Sonsie
Prestia
Ross - Hopper
taranto
Graham

Strength at contest
Baker - Cotchin
Hopper - Taranto
Sonsie -Graham - Ross
Prestia
Bolton

Burst forward of clearance

Bolton
…..

Hopper - Sonsie- prestia
Ross-Cotchin- Baker
Taranto
Graham

With this mind IMO we have 4-5 who are strongly suited to play upon the defensive side of clearances , which includes Taranto , Prestia and arguably Hopper.
To watch clearances particularly centre clearances and seeing some of the specific players positioning is bazaar and is the biggest issue IMO .

Our Ruck injuries as well are not helping. Midfielders and rucks need to build a relationship so they know how to play together. They would have worked with Nank and started building that and now they have a guy like Miller tapping to them who isn't really a ruck at all. Makes it hard to read taps and know where to go winch means you're way more reactive

Our Ruck injuries as well are not helping. Midfielders and rucks need to build a relationship so they know how to play together. They would have worked with Nank and started building that and now they have a guy like Miller tapping to them who isn't really a ruck at all. Makes it hard to read taps and know where to go winch means you're way more reactive
Throw in the fact our number 2 ruck is also injured so it’s not just we don’t have Nank we don’t have our next best option in Soldo

Like you said we are playing Miller and Ryan who have both been training in different positions and as pinch hitters instead of taking the number 1 ruck role and the various responsibilities it entitles

I think we should hold him back for another week and get that calf right
whats the point against a Melbourne side after a loss and the way we are playing have zero chance at beating them
Think the fact we play on Monday changes things up a little imo
Not a fan of rushing players back but if he puts in a good block this week plus a main session on the weekend it can’t hurt to bring him in

Some posters make it out like it's going to take half a season for the midfield to gel, just because we have a couple of fresh faces in there.

Whats pre-season for?

I think we should hold him back for another week and get that calf right
whats the point against a Melbourne side after a loss and the way we are playing have zero chance at beating them
Dimma thought he'd be right to go V Swans and now we've got a 10-day break so he should be right. We need his run and carry and foot skills and we need Baker in the middle.

I thought Bombers had zero chance too and they made Dees look second rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma thought he'd be right to go V Swans and now we've got a 10-day break so he should be right. We need his run and carry and foot skills and we need Baker in the middle.

I thought Bombers had zero chance too and they made Dees look second rate.
Problem is that RFC is incapable of executing the most basic of footballing skills and therefore cannot and will not win many if any games.

Saints are heavily into him, it shits me when I hear he vanilla etc etc.
At least he is reliable, he was ranked in the top 5 disposal efficiency and the next week he was dropped.
I would hate a team of flashy players we need reliability.

He could have left in his first year but stuck around and he isn't being rewarded.
If I was him I would leave 100%

I have no doubt he will be in the 22 where ever he goes, he just needs a chance.
The other thing is no doubt we will give him away for **** all like we always do.

Not one center bounce attendance for Baker on Friday. Get him in there. Short was probably the best HBF last year before Dimma put him in the middle. He needs to get back there.
The issue is Baker is probably our best player so far this year and does he still play to the same level if moved :(

Some posters make it out like it's going to take half a season for the midfield to gel, just because we have a couple of fresh faces in there.

Whats pre-season for?
....it does.

Pre-season is for getting fit and learning gameplans/roles. Actually being out there and playing is a bit different to that. You have to make instant decisions on what you are going to do which is completely reliant on your teammates. If you aren't completely sure how youre teammates play, then you cant be as sure and you have moments where you've done something they didn't expect and vice versa.

So yes it does talk half a season or mroe. You have to be in an actual game with pressure and opponents to start actually building that relationship and trust between your teammates. Just think about us at our peak, we had guys like Edwards doing handballs so quick out of packs the ball is barely in his hands because he knows where his teamates will be before he even touches it. And the teammates know Edwards is capable of this lightning handballs so they will be ready and in position for him.

And its not just a couple fresh faces. Our midfield lineup is completely differ especially currently with no ruck. Its not just like 1 guy has been injected into a firing midfield and he just has to find his own way. The entire mid group is readjusting.

Saints are heavily into him, it shits me when I hear he vanilla etc etc.
At least he is reliable, he was ranked in the top 5 disposal efficiency and the next week he was dropped.
I would hate a team of flashy players we need reliability.

He could have left in his first year but stuck around and he isn't being rewarded.
If I was him I would leave 100%

I have no doubt he will be in the 22 where ever he goes, he just needs a chance.
The other thing is no doubt we will give him away for * all like we always do.
Not sure about that. Good average player is about his ceiling IMO. Yeah he'd be nearly worthless at the trade table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back