• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Source? As far as I'm aware, he has made no such claims or given any indication of doing what you suggest.
Mate, I will break it down so even you can understand.

Gold Coast have offered ken a deal with more money, longer length
My comment
Ken often talks about loyalty, passion and commitment. The next couple of months will see kennys true character
I'm not saying is leaving, I'm not saying is is not committed to port. Hence the term "the next couple of months"

I'm saying if he does leave it will show his character isn't as good as most believe.

Get it now?

Mate, I will break it down so even you can understand.

Gold Coast have offered ken a deal with more money, longer length
My comment

I'm not saying is leaving, I'm not saying is is not committed to port. Hence the term "the next couple of months"

I'm saying if he does leave it will show his character isn't as good as most believe.

Get it now?

Mate - you questioned his "true character". As though who he portrays to be may not be who he really is. Speculating on something that someone might or might not do at some point in the future when they have given no indication that their intentions are anything but honorable, and then using that same speculation as a basis to question the persons integrity and character in a public forum is pretty low.

Do you have a credible source that Gold Coast have actually OFFERED Ken anything? The only thing I've seen are a couple of media reports that Gold Coast have approached Kens manager asking some questions whether he would consider leaving Port Adelaide. Hardly a treacherous act on Kens part or reason to speculate on his "true character".

Mate - you questioned his "true character". As though who he portrays to be may not be who he really is. Speculating on something that someone might or might not do at some point in the future when they have given no indication that their intentions are anything but honorable, and then using that same speculation as a basis to question the persons integrity and character in a public forum is pretty low.

Do you have a credible source that Gold Coast have actually OFFERED Ken anything? The only thing I've seen are a couple of media reports that Gold Coast have approached Kens manager asking some questions whether he would consider leaving Port Adelaide. Hardly a treacherous act on Kens part or reason to speculate on his "true character".
You must be new here, this is bigfooty, in the internet world this is called a forum. Now I know that sounds confusing at first, but let me explain it to you. In a forum people from all over Australia come to discuss various football topics, they discuss recent matches, speculation and rumours especially when it comes to the head coach. People in the forums will offer try to predict future events for the sake of conversation. This is often encouraged by fellow posters.

If you cannot handle this maybe it's best you leave.

Don't get your panties in a knot because you interpreted my post a certain way.

If Ken did leave port I think most posted on here would question his character. It is a good topic to discuss. It is a very real possibility that it may come true.

Both channel 9 and 7 (including our own warren tredrea) have reported that Gold Coast has made port aware that they have made Ken Hinkley an offer. A few seconds of research and you would already had known this

Hinkley, he's gotten us close before and looks like he's fixed the problems we've been having all year, work on our goal kicking and we will should be a force to be reckoned with:thumbsu:

I can't believe this isn't said more. We are literally about 14th-16th in the league for goal kicking and have been since mid 2014. You put that into the middle of the pack and we are a premier that has made the finals every year for 5 years, and are still in the finals this year. For all the talk about kicking to the pocket, how many shots do we miss from dead in front? That is not a Ken problem, the only thing he can do is drop Wingard, Gray, Boak, and Dixon and is anyone asking for that? How many gun young players do we have? Even with an aging Boak / Ryder / Gray, we look like a team that can expect to make the finals 6-7 years out of the next 10 and that is almost entirely due to the structures and recruiting that Hinkley ultimately takes responsibility for. How many drafts did we **** up prior to him coming, how many star recruits of the Dixon/ Ryder had we secured previously? I have no doubt that Hinkley was a big factor in getting Dixon and in players not wanting to leave. The one thing that frustrated me is the stubborn selections and gold passes. So he tears them up, the kids all play well, and you want to hang him for not playing experienced heads with more 'composure'.

There are probably a number of better coaches out there, but do we really think they want to coach us, for what we can afford? People want to talk about our gameplan but its a plan that has won us plenty of finals, with 2 of our 3 losses coming from us kicking it away, and the 3rd (Geelong 2013) just playing against a much better more experienced side (and everyone agreeing we played well). I don't get the mentality of 'we're not exactly where we want to be so lets tear it all up, start again, and hope for the best'. That kind of thinking kept Melbourne / Carlton in the shit forever, sacking coaches thinking they could do better only to go backwards. If we sack Ken I want to know what plan we have in place and how confident we are of getting someone that is almost certainly better, not 'could/would/should' be better.

You must be new here, this is bigfooty, in the internet world this is called a forum. Now I know that sounds confusing at first, but let me explain it to you. In a forum people from all over Australia come to discuss various football topics, they discuss recent matches, speculation and rumours especially when it comes to the head coach. People in the forums will offer try to predict future events for the sake of conversation. This is often encouraged by fellow posters.

If you cannot handle this maybe it's best you leave.

Don't get your panties in a knot because you interpreted my post a certain way.

If Ken did leave port I think most posted on here would question his character. It is a good topic to discuss. It is a very real possibility that it may come true.

Both channel 9 and 7 (including our own warren tredrea) have reported that Gold Coast has made port aware that they have made Ken Hinkley an offer. A few seconds of research and you would already had known this

Thank-you for taking the time in explaining that. Likewise, allow me the same privilege - you must be one of those young obnoxious millennial upstarts that think they know everything and can say whatever they like about people they know very little about with impunity on a public forum because "it's the internet and people can say whatever they want". Now let me explain something to you. I know this may be difficult to understand so try to stay with me. The internet is part of a community and in a community people act and talk to each other with civility and respect (take a few minutes to 'Google' these terms if you need to). I know this may be confusing to you but as you mature you'll come to realize that just because you can say or do something doesn't mean you should. BTW - I joined BigFooty in April 2011, almost two years before you - 2 milli-seconds glance at my avatar on the left and you would have realized this.
(Note: The tone demonstrated in the above paragraph is what's called "condescending" and is often interpreted as rude when communicating with someone you don't know. Now, in the next paragraph I'll demonstrate the tone of a respectful communication.)

By all means discuss and speculate all you like about players, games, coaches, future events etc for the sake of conversation but to speculate and then use that same speculation to questions someones character publicly is not what decent and reasonable people do in a civilized and respectful society. Yes, I took umbrage to your original statement regarding Kens "true character" and I make no apology for doing so. A persons character is one of their most precious assets and once maligned can be very difficult if not impossible to restore. People can post what they want on here about you and I - no-one knows who we are so there is little damage that can occur besides hurt feelings, but to do so against someone so easily identified is wrong and disrespectful and CAN damage their character. Disagree with Kens decisions, methods, selections, statements, choice of soft drink etc all you want but leave his character (or anyone else for that matter) alone until they have actually done or said something to indicate that their character might be reasonably questioned.

Respectfully.

Thank-you for taking the time in explaining that. Likewise, allow me the same privilege - you must be one of those young obnoxious millennial upstarts that think they know everything and can say whatever they like about people they know very little about with impunity on a public forum because "it's the internet and people can say whatever they want". Now let me explain something to you. I know this may be difficult to understand so try to stay with me. The internet is part of a community and in a community people act and talk to each other with civility and respect (take a few minutes to 'Google' these terms if you need to). I know this may be confusing to you but as you mature you'll come to realize that just because you can say or do something doesn't mean you should. BTW - I joined BigFooty in April 2011, almost two years before you - 2 milli-seconds glance at my avatar on the left and you would have realized this.
(Note: The tone demonstrated in the above paragraph is what's called "condescending" and is often interpreted as rude when communicating with someone you don't know. Now, in the next paragraph I'll demonstrate the tone of a respectful communication.)

By all means discuss and speculate all you like about players, games, coaches, future events etc for the sake of conversation but to speculate and then use that same speculation to questions someones character publicly is not what decent and reasonable people do in a civilized and respectful society. Yes, I took umbrage to your original statement regarding Kens "true character" and I make no apology for doing so. A persons character is one of their most precious assets and once maligned can be very difficult if not impossible to restore. People can post what they want on here about you and I - no-one knows who we are so there is little damage that can occur besides hurt feelings, but to do so against someone so easily identified is wrong and disrespectful and CAN damage their character. Disagree with Kens decisions, methods, selections, statements, choice of soft drink etc all you want but leave his character (or anyone else for that matter) alone until they have actually done or said something to indicate that their character might be reasonably questioned.

Respectfully.
I'm gunna be honest I didn't read your comment after the first line because seem like one of the people that get offended over everything. Politically correct BS.

IF (key word if, which for some reason you can't understand) kenny did leave, many would question his character. I would lose a huge amount of respect for him as a coach and as a person. To quit (while contracted) and go to another club for money, doesn't seem like the ken we are use to.

I have never said he will leave, nor said anything to question his current character.

There is nothing wrong with me saying that while there is current rumours that ken Hinkley is leaving port, and Gold Coast want him.

If you can't handle that. That's your problem.

Dew, wanted him for a long time.

I don't mind if Basset is it, but still think he needs more time.

But I also don't mind Ken for 1 more no extension. It seems that penny might of dropped that going to the same well that is dry doesn't work. Seeing the age difference in finals contenders has rejuvenated my optimism .... Let's face face it our older players cannot be trusted, I hope the message has gotten through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe this isn't said more. We are literally about 14th-16th in the league for goal kicking and have been since mid 2014. You put that into the middle of the pack and we are a premier that has made the finals every year for 5 years, and are still in the finals this year.

We've been bottom of the pack for 5 years and we dont improve much. And there is no autmatic premierships handed out just because you are kicking better at goal. You play against a team who is good or better than us for goal kicking and mentally harder that doesn't mean we will win a flag.

For all the talk about kicking to the pocket, how many shots do we miss from dead in front? That is not a Ken problem, the only thing he can do is drop Wingard, Gray, Boak, and Dixon and is anyone asking for that? How many gun young players do we have?

Yes I have come to the conclusion we have to start doing that if we aren't capable of finding kicking coaches to improving the players conversion rates. People keep saying football is a business now. Well if its a business lets be consistent and treat things like a business. You miss two or more set shot for goals within 35m and the 45 degrees in a game you get dropped win, lose or draw. No ifs or buts. You say to the players, your misses are effecting attendance, confidence of our fans, they aren't spending as much we want them to, we are a million dollars down on membership revenue and gate receipts, our sponsors aren't stepping up because we aren't delivering on what we told we would do. So you go play in the SANFL for $500 instead of $5,000 in the AFL next week. You take a Mafia approach to it, and you tell the player, its nothing personal, its just business.

Sounds harsh? Well its ****en better than no improvement over 5 year.

Even with an aging Boak / Ryder / Gray, we look like a team that can expect to make the finals 6-7 years out of the next 10 and that is almost entirely due to the structures and recruiting that Hinkley ultimately takes responsibility for.

Hyperbole. We have some good looking young kids but they haven't performed week in week out to say we will play finals 6 or 7 times in the next decade. When they have achieved something get back to me. All sides with young players have hope but it means SFA until the goods are delivered to the table.

How many drafts did we **** up prior to him coming, how many star recruits of the Dixon/ Ryder had we secured previously? I have no doubt that Hinkley was a big factor in getting Dixon and in players not wanting to leave. The one thing that frustrated me is the stubborn selections and gold passes. So he tears them up, the kids all play well, and you want to hang him for not playing experienced heads with more 'composure'.

Hinkley only got Dixon. Polec was coming home and was a big Port fan as a kid. Ryder came to Port because of Krak knowing him for years and Pauly V and the indigenous programs. They started the conversation. Any decent coach would have been able to convince the last 2. Dixon is 100% Hinkley.

There are probably a number of better coaches out there, but do we really think they want to coach us, for what we can afford? People want to talk about our gameplan but its a plan that has won us plenty of finals, with 2 of our 3 losses coming from us kicking it away, and the 3rd (Geelong 2013) just playing against a much better more experienced side (and everyone agreeing we played well). I don't get the mentality of 'we're not exactly where we want to be so lets tear it all up, start again, and hope for the best'. That kind of thinking kept Melbourne / Carlton in the shit forever, sacking coaches thinking they could do better only to go backwards. If we sack Ken I want to know what plan we have in place and how confident we are of getting someone that is almost certainly better, not 'could/would/should' be better.
Fair points.

I can't believe this isn't said more. We are literally about 14th-16th in the league for goal kicking and have been since mid 2014. You put that into the middle of the pack and we are a premier that has made the finals every year for 5 years, and are still in the finals this year. For all the talk about kicking to the pocket, how many shots do we miss from dead in front? That is not a Ken problem, the only thing he can do is drop Wingard, Gray, Boak, and Dixon and is anyone asking for that? How many gun young players do we have? Even with an aging Boak / Ryder / Gray, we look like a team that can expect to make the finals 6-7 years out of the next 10 and that is almost entirely due to the structures and recruiting that Hinkley ultimately takes responsibility for. How many drafts did we **** up prior to him coming, how many star recruits of the Dixon/ Ryder had we secured previously? I have no doubt that Hinkley was a big factor in getting Dixon and in players not wanting to leave. The one thing that frustrated me is the stubborn selections and gold passes. So he tears them up, the kids all play well, and you want to hang him for not playing experienced heads with more 'composure'.

Maybe going with an unknown is better than sticking with something that has failed over and over.

Hinkley did tell the players they'd gotten 2 coaches sacked and he wouldn't be the third when he came to the club.

If he leaves I guess he wasn't lying.

.If Ken did leave port I think most posted on here would question his character.

I mean, if Ken packed up and joined ISIS I'd question his character. But unless he does it's probably not really worth discussing.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Chad Cornes hasn't featured in this conversation yet. He's on the verge of delivering the clubs first premiership in 13 years and the players clearly love him.

I said a few weeks ago that as a minimum Ken needed a good showing in the finals and a winning start to next year before getting an extension. He failed at the first hurdle. I'm still just OK with him coaching next year but any form of contract extension right now would be madness.

Ken will relinquish the zero and go full strength next year to take us to a flag.
After the premiership he will choke his tie and tell Kochie he was wrong. Pres will pull everything he has and go sponsor the local badminton team.
Todd Marshall the youngest player to debut in 2017 will also get on the full strength and go into beast mode
*Travis Boak will stay on the low strength and share pickle juice with Matthew Richardson

It's interesting that Chad Cornes hasn't featured in this conversation yet. He's on the verge of delivering the clubs first premiership in 13 years and the players clearly love him.

I said a few weeks ago that as a minimum Ken needed a good showing in the finals and a winning start to next year before getting an extension. He failed at the first hurdle. I'm still just OK with him coaching next year but any form of contract extension right now would be madness.

Chad Cornes is managing the B Team to the directives of the senior coach and his coaching group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Our Next Coach

Back