• Hardwick

• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I've said it on here a few times that until he is officially sacked, nothing will sway me.

Nothing. This regime has had countless occasions to get rid of Kenny and his continued poor coaching but the spineless board has always came up with some kind of convenient parameter or excuse.

The idea they will sack him before his contract is up I don't think has entered their mind.

The way I see it is Hinkley will barely survive this year and in a contract year next shove a rocket up the team as best he can and try and get that one year extension and then take it from there.

I want him sacked today but only really the influence of Tredders can make this nightmare go away because before him it has been easy street for him and the Four Frauds.

If Carr wants to coach Port next year, does he announce an interest towards a senior gig anywhere, and if so does our club want him bad enough to not risk losing him, thus flicking Hinkley?

That won't be necessary on Carr's behalf. Would take something drastic in terms of a shift to see him applying for other senior coaching roles for 2025.

If Carr is surrounded with the quality of assistants that Ken currently has then he's being set up to fail.

A complete restructure is in order, not just Josh in, Ken out.

The Club are well aware they need to improve the assistants around them. At the same time, most (but not all) are contracted for next season. There will definitely be some changes though for sure.

Carr may have a hand shake agreement to take over in 2026, after all Ken is contracted next year and Carr knew that when coming back to Port.
Maybe Carr hasn't even had any conversations about the head coaching job, who knows, unless Chewy316 is aware of what went down.
I would assume that Carr would be ready in 2026, otherwise Koch would have to undermine Hinkley and that wouldn't go down well.
Imo we are going to be stuck with Hinkley for next season, so strap yourself in, our upcoming games may have an effect, depending how much supporter back lash there is if we finish the season poorly.

Carr is positioned to be the next head coach. All the necessary conversations have taken place. Both the footy committee and the Board of Directors are aligned in what they want and how they're going to proceed.

Carr will be the coach next year unless Ken pulls an absolute miracle out of his arse, and I'll extend that by saying 1) the team has shown no signs that their performance levels are good enough to challenge the remaining top teams in the fixture, and 2) even if he did pull off such a miracle, if West Coast come calling for Ken, Port will not stand in his way.

I don't think Ken will be coach at Port next year, and its likely Carr will be the man, but 'regardless' of who we get, we have to learn from the mistakes of our past (over 30 years) and ensure that whoever has the job, has the right balance of coaching panel around him.

Just rolling Josh into the main chair and bringing in another inexperienced assistant coach will help no one.
Our best times under Choco were when we had Walsh, Bailey and a young Clarkson in the box with him. Primus has little support, and our early gains under Hinkley were in part due to some good appointment around him (Richardson etc).

Our strongest results have been when we've had a good mix of coaches with relationship strengths and coaches with tactical strengths, so we need to balance what we have. Use the coaches we have to their strengths.

Last edited:
I don't think Ken will be coach at Port next year, and its likely Carr will be the man, but 'regardless' of who we get, we have to learn from the mistakes of our past (over 30 years) and ensure that whoever has the job, has the right balance of coaching panel around him.

Just rolling Josh into the main chair and bringing in another inexperienced assistant coach will help no one.
Our best times under Choco were when we had Walsh, Bailey and a young Hardwick in the box with him. Primus has little support, and our early gains under Hinkley were in part due to some good appointment around him (Richardson etc).

Our strongest results have been when we've had a good mix of coaches with relationship strengths and coaches with tactical strengths, so we need to balance what we have. Use the coaches we have to their strengths.
Totally agree, we can't slide Carr into a broken system and expect to much change.
It will be interesting if Davies goes as well then there will be nothing stopping Carr from implementing his own style and shaping things as he wants.
Davies imo must leave with Ken, there are rumours about him going to Richmond. If all this happens, we have some good years ahead.

Totally agree, we can't slide Carr into a broken system and expect to much change.
It will be interesting if Davies goes as well then there will be nothing stopping Carr from implementing his own style and shaping things as he wants.
Davies imo must leave with Ken, there are rumours about him going to Richmond. If all this happens, we have some good years ahead.

I believe that Carr intends to make changes - both to the on field team and the off field team. He is his own man with his own ideas and I think we will see a significant shift very quickly.

yep Davies must go with Ken, Richo must go with Davies and Koch must go with Richo, then we'll have the holy quadrangle of exits required

Our best times under Choco were when we had Walsh, Bailey and a young Hardwick in the box with him. Primus has little support, and our early gains under Hinkley were in part due to some good appointment around him (Richardson etc).

Agree with this, but if as Chewy said all the assistants are contracted and we have to pay Ken out for the final year, then getting much change among the assistants will be a challenge. I am encourgaed by Chewy saying there will be some change, then I expect more will happen during the term of Josh's contract. As it will with the playing list. Hopefully Port can get in an experienced senior assistant.

As an aside, i don't think Hardwick ever was an assistant coach at Port. He was offered a role but went back to Victoria and took a job with Clarkson at Hawthorn in 2005 (Clarko was an assistant at Port in our premiership year).

It does perhaps put a bit of context to those criticising the lines for underperforming though, in particular Carrs midfield and Chads forwards.

The buck clearly stops with the head coach at Port.

Yes as it should at any club, the top man has final say and wears the consequences (not so many consequences at Port apparently)

As an aside, i don't think Hardwick ever was an assistant coach at Port. He was offered a role but went back to Victoria and took a job with Clarkson at Hawthorn in 2005 (Clarko was an assistant at Port in our premiership year).

You are right - I was referring to Clarko, but had Hardwick on the brain.

yep Davies must go with Ken, Richo must go with Davies and Koch must go with Richo, then we'll have the holy quadrangle of exits required

Koch doesn't belong in that discussion. His major failing has been putting too much trust in CD and by extension Hinkley. Once they're gone Koch isn't an issue.

Agree with this, but if as Chewy said all the assistants are contracted and we have to pay Ken out for the final year, then getting much change among the assistants will be a challenge. I am encourgaed by Chewy saying there will be some change, then I expect more will happen during the term of Josh's contract. As it will with the playing list. Hopefully Port can get in an experienced senior assistant.

So if we are assuming that Ken won't be hear next year, there must be a clause in his contract for finals or top 4.
If Hinkley is being pushed out just because he is on the nose, the relationship between him and Carr, also Koch would be difficult whist they have to work together. This could be why Carrs in the box and Ken's on the bench.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of these things can be addressed. As an example.. I always thought Chad was a really good SANFL type coach for us... I've never seen him as a line coach type. I'd prefer him in that sort of role than forwards line coach. I never really got the decision to roll Goldsack into the defensive coaches role.... traditionally weve had good defensive coaches (Bassett and Monty were both very goods - but different in this role).

Where I worry is where are we going to pluck some good assitants from willing to move to SA. Part of me hopes Monty moved to give his lads clear air as they approached their draft year, buyt I fear the horse has bolted there).

Senior asssistant is a critical appointment. From what I can sense from a distance Josh has a track record of good player relationships, what I dont know is what his analytical/tactical thinking is like.

When you say miracle, do you know what is the minimum requirement for him to go on next year?

I can only answer this by saying there's no definitive metric he has to hit (or not hit) in order to be coach next year. I will provide more clarification at a later date once he's gone.

So if we are assuming that Ken won't be hear next year, there must be a clause in his contract for finals or top 4.
If Hinkley is being pushed out just because he is on the nose, the relationship between him and Carr, also Koch would be difficult whist the have to work together. This could be why Carrs in the box and Ken's on the bench.

There's so clause of this type. They're just now in a position financially where they have the resources to absorb Ken's 2025 salary on the books if they sacked him.

Koch has nothing to do with this though. He is letting the footy committee sort this out.

Some of these things can be addressed. As an example.. I always thought Chad was a really good SANFL type coach for us... I've never seen him as a line coach type. I'd prefer him in that sort of role than forwards line coach. I never really got the decision to roll Goldsack into the defensive coaches role.... traditionally weve had good defensive coaches (Bassett and Monty were both very goods - but different in this role).

Where I worry is where are we going to pluck some good assitants from willing to move to SA. Part of me hopes Monty moved to give his lads clear air as they approached their draft year, buyt I fear the horse has bolted there).

Senior asssistant is a critical appointment. From what I can sense from a distance Josh has a track record of good player relationships, what I dont know is what his analytical/tactical thinking is like.

They can definitely shuffle some magnets around. I've never been sure why Chad was moved on as sanfl coach after making a grand final. Either the stress was too much, or he employed his own game plan too much for someone's liking.

Getting good assistants from interstate is the issue, Adelaide has the same problem, I mean they have Jack Hombsch as an assistant. They had a good one in Rahilly and he left. It's going to be a senior assistant position that I think Port could lock down as they will be able to pay extra (depending on what happens with Hinkley).

The footy industry is hardly a closed secret, so clubs would know who the promising assistants are that would be willing to take the step up to a senior role and get there names out there.

I can only answer this by saying there's no definitive metric he has to hit (or not hit) in order to be coach next year. I will provide more clarification at a later date once he's gone.

There's so clause of this type. They're just now in a position financially where they have the resources to absorb Ken's 2025 salary on the books if they sacked him.

Koch has nothing to do with this though. He is letting the footy committee sort this out.
Thanks, now I have a better understanding of the situation.

They can definitely shuffle some magnets around. I've never been sure why Chad was moved on as sanfl coach after making a grand final. Either the stress was too much, or he employed his own game plan too much for someone's liking.

Getting good assistants from interstate is the issue, Adelaide has the same problem, I mean they have Jack Hombsch as an assistant. They had a good one in Rahilly and he left. It's going to be a senior assistant position that I think Port could lock down as they will be able to pay extra (depending on what happens with Hinkley).

The footy industry is hardly a closed secret, so clubs would know who the promising assistants are that would be willing to take the step up to a senior role and get there names out there.
Has anyone considered Josh Francou as a senior assistant, imo he would be great.

I know Chad cops a fair bit of criticism on this forum because of the Cornes name, but I think the players like his raw emotion & respond to it in a positive way.

The short Magpies stint was a strange one, but I’d prefer Chad over Hammer any day in that role.

I know Chad cops a fair bit of criticism on this forum because of the Cornes name, but I think the players like his raw emotion & respond to it in a positive way.

The short Magpies stint was a strange one, but I’d prefer Chad over Hammer any day in that role.
This ^^^^

Carr may have a hand shake agreement to take over in 2026, after all Ken is contracted next year and Carr knew that when coming back to Port.
Maybe Carr hasn't even had any conversations about the head coaching job, who knows, unless Chewy316 is aware of what went down.
I would assume that Carr would be ready in 2026, otherwise Koch would have to undermine Hinkley and that wouldn't go down well.
Imo we are going to be stuck with Hinkley for next season, so strap yourself in, our upcoming games may have an effect, depending how much supporter back lash there is if we finish the season poorly.

However - a large part of the supporter based has turned on the club and Hinkley like never before - they are on a hiding to nothing keeping him.

Also, you want to keep Butters and Houston give Carr a crack from next year and we might suddenly have an uptick in style and substance.

Koch doesn't belong in that discussion. His major failing has been putting too much trust in CD and by extension Hinkley. Once they're gone Koch isn't an issue.

Koch is an issue.

Made the statement along the lines of he wants keeping Ken because he had a contract and wants Port to honour it's contact.

OK. I'm fine with that principle.

That contract with Ken has done untold harm to Port. Koch is responsible for that contract and responsible for untold damage to Port as a club.

Koch owns a poor decision to reappoint Ken and should resign for failing to do protect Port once it was painfully obvious Ken had to go.

The right principal to follow was Winston Churchill’s belief.

"I reserved the right to change my mind should I become more aware of the facts."

I've been impressed with the way Norwood have set up this year, I wonder if it's worth having a talk with Jade Rawlings as an assistant?

He has been an assistant at Richmond, Brisbane, Melbourne and North (although possibly when they were all terrible which is a worry).

Fun fact, he would have been a Port player if the Nick Stevens trade had gone through in 2003.

I've been impressed with the way Norwood have set up this year, I wonder if it's worth having a talk with Jade Rawlings as an assistant?

He has been an assistant at Richmond, Brisbane, Melbourne and North (although possibly when they were all terrible which is a worry).

Fun fact, he would have been a Port player if the Nick Stevens trade had gone through in 2003.
I saw him up in the Magery room at half time of the Brisbane or Bulldog games a few weeks back. Could've been the Brisbane game, and it could have been to watch Logan Evans debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Our Next Coach

Back